Deathlock Goblins [PreDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This one probably isn't going to make sense. I'll just say up front that until 2018, I forgot that Tuknir Deathlock existed. Then when I started to get interested in building EDH decks helmed by "Legends Legends" and I saw Tuknir Deathlock, my immediate thought was "goblins." Why? I have no idea! Tuknir isn't a goblin and has no particular association with goblins. But I've been planning to do this for the past five years. So, here we are. Might as well make the whole thing a PreDH deck, because of course it's going to be bad anyway.

Commander
1 Tuknir Deathlock

1 Abundance
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Beast Within
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boartusk Liege
1 Boggart Ram-Gang
1 Coat of Arms
1 Crop Rotation
1 Doubling Season
1 Dragon Fodder
1 Earthcraft
1 Ember Hauler
1 Far Wanderings
7 Forest
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Goblin Balloon Brigade
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Goblin Burrows
1 Goblin Bushwhacker
1 Goblin Chieftain
1 Goblin Chirurgeon
1 Goblin Digging Team
1 Goblin Grenade
1 Goblin King
1 Goblin Lackey
1 Goblin Lookout
1 Goblin Marshal
1 Goblin Matron
1 Goblin Piledriver
1 Goblin Recruiter
1 Goblin Ringleader
1 Goblin Scouts
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Goblin Sledder
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Goblin Wardriver
1 Goblin Warrens
1 Goblin Wizard
1 Harrow
1 Hull Breach
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Lightning Crafter
1 Mana Echoes
1 Maze of Ith
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Mogg Infestation
1 Mogg Maniac
1 Mogg Raider
1 Mogg War Marshal
1 Mons's Goblin Raiders
13 Mountain
1 Mutavault
1 Overgrowth
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Regrowth
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Scarwood Goblins
1 Sensation Gorger
1 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Skirk Prospector
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Sparksmith
1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Tutor
1 Taiga
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Warren Instigator
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Wort, the Raidmother
1 Yavimaya Hollow

1 Tattermunge Duo
1 Goblin Caves

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Against the odds, this deck actually won its first game, which was in a regular EDH pod. Coat of Arms is a Magic card. But it was Goblin Wizard cheating in Kiki-Jiki, copying Goblin Wizard, cheating in Boartusk Liege that gave me the tempo advantage to make the Coat of Arms blitz into a win.

Second game I fell behind on mana and one of the other PreDH decks used an engine that wiped us all out simultaneously. Not a bad game, just a bit of a rough one.

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Took this deck into a 1v1 game. My opponent didn't have a way to get rid of Goblin King, so mountainwalk let me go all-out aggro for the win. All hail Goblin King.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-1 Tattermunge Duo
-1 Goblin Caves
+1 Goblin Marshal
+1 Goblin Scouts

I kept a two-land hand with this deck and couldn't find a third land. Fortunately, Goblin Lackey grabbed Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. With Skirk Prospector to sac tokens for mana, I was able to put Overgrowth on my Forest and then get Doubling Season. On the turn that I got Goblin Warrens out and could produce infinite goblin tokens, someone cast Urza's Ruinous Blast, which blew up all of my permanents. So that was it for me. But other than that, we were off to a good start.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Coat of Arms almost came through for me in my most recent game with this deck, but couldn't quite get there. Hushbringer wrecked me. Couldn't kill it in time to save myself.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Player A killed Player B and was poised to wipe out both Player C and myself once he untapped. Player C took Player A down to 2 life, then asked if I could deal 2 damage. I topdecked Ember Hauler. I knew beyond any doubt that if I picked off Player A, then Player C would easily kill me. But how can you pass up an opportunity like that?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Brought this deck to a game last night as a deliberate attempt to ratchet down the power level (I'd just won two games in a row and one person in our pod was swapping out and being replaced by a newer player). It was a good fit. I presented a threatening board state to each person at the table on at least one occasion, and forced some interaction, including eventually playing a kind of kingmaker role. The big setback happened when one of my opponents used Chaos Wand on another and hit Farewell, choosing all four modes. I kind of hate Farewell. But in this game, as far as I was concerned, it might as well have just been Wrath of God or whatever.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I got stuck on two lands with this deck for an eon or so. Earthcraft kept me able to deploy goblins consistently, but I was always tapping them to untap my Mountain instead of using them for their own abilities, so my results were lackluster. Eventually, I got picked off by an unblockable, untargetable Frodo, Sauron's Bane. Caught me off-guard because these newfangled Universes Beyond cards have walls of text and references to other things with walls of text, so I didn't even pay enough attention to realize that it was a "lose the game" situation. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway because I didn't have anything I could actually do about it. So whatever.