Coat of Arms in Type 2 - thoughts

M

Mikeymike

Here is a question for anyone who follows the Standard Enviro closer than I do (which is probably about 80% of the CPA)

Does anyone think Coat of Arms is going to have an impact on Type 2? Always considered a staple for the casual player, it never stood a chance of competing in the Rath era type 2 because at 5 mana it was too expensive.

I see potential for it now with:
Rebels - Rebels has never been a speed demon so this won't slow it down too much. 5 mana for an army of 4/4s or 5/5s or 9/9s seems like a nail in the coffin to me.

Elves - A lot of people on the CPA have tried to build a competitive Standard Elf deck. Elvish Lyrist and Might of Oaks also make this a little more viable, and a turn 4 Coat probably wouldn't be so bad, especially if those elves have forest walk.

Zombies - This challenge has been out there for awhile now

Saprolings - WoTC appears to purposely be trying to build this archetype, has anyone else noted the killer freaking saproling cards recently? To list some:
Artifact/Aura Mutation
Nemata and her buddy Verdeloth, oh and Rith
Spontaneous Generation
Saproling Symbiosis
Opposition
Coat of Arms
Spidersilk Armor/Collective Unc.
and so on.

I'll try to build something in the deck section, it will suck but who cares.

N

NeuroDeus

You forgot Merfolk and Goblins... the biggest and most used Creature decks in magic... Although it looks slow for 5 mana... Putting 2 in a Fish deck will surely have your opponent dead by the next turn...

M

Mundungu

The coat's best friends is obviously the elves because they provide the mana acceleration making it possible to play one on turn 3.

t1 : forest elf
t2 : forest 2cc elf, 1cc elf
t3 : Coat and at least 3 3/3 creatures on the table.

Althought the shear power of the rebel "multiplication" might make it interesting.

Maybe a "coated" counter rebel ??

L

Llan

Because of it's high cost I can't see it in many more decks than elf decks really...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
What about Zombies? They won't well with the Coat now that Lord of the Undead and Scuta are in.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

terzarima

Come on man, you are missing one of the best token cards ever created, no, not squirrels (although entertaining and enjoyable) something much more cuddely. Yes!!! Hippos!!!

Elephant Resurgence (Not hippo but it should be)
Battery (Again A elephant, but a funny one)

Pheldigriff (Is it a hippo?)
Hippo Compatriot (Yes!!!)
Pygmy Hippo!!
And many more hippos!!!
Questing Pheldi!!

Man, you can give your opponents so many hippos and then with COA they become big, the humor is endless!!!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Don't forget Saproling Cluster! I've been tinkering with a Saproling Cluster/Squee/Meteor Storm thingy. It's fun to play, but with Fires in the environment, it's just too slow to be competitive.