Climate-engineering

T

train

(This is just an article, but can spur some ideas on...)

So - though this seems to stem from Global warming - it is taking a different route at trying to do things to prevent it... Climate Engineering

Just curious as to if you all think we should invest the time, money and technology into these efforts.

I think some may be worth looking into - but they seem too burdensome at this time...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One issue with this is that regardless of whether we think it's a good idea, someone else might. If Chinese scientists, for example, determine that a particular use of some geoengineering technique would benefit their country and their government decides to do it, there's not much anyone else could do to stop them. Would they be right that it would be beneficial for them? Maybe. Would it adversely affect other people in other countries? Maybe.

Technically, this applies to global warming (and what we're already doing with carbon dioxide might be considered a form of unintended climate manipulation) even if no one goes through with deliberate engineering. It sure looks like global warming could be bad for a lot of people, but it would also benefit some people. Does that change what we should do about it? I mean, most of the other thread focused on anthropogenicity, not on eventual consequences. I don't know the answer myself, and at some point it turns into an ethical dilemma of sorts.

So...

If one country can use technology to alter the climate to suit their own interests and this has detrimental side effects on another country somewhere else in the world, then what? Should their be some sort of provision in place to deal with this scenario? Some international law?

T

train

I could see some sort of treaty that allows percentages for trade of other exports, financial resolve, etc.... It's interesting how the international and territorial laws work with the imaginary lines that extend into the atmosphere and oceans...

Just a gentle breeze could cause uproar... sheesh...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
train;289946 said:
I could see some sort of treaty that allows percentages for trade of other exports, financial resolve, etc.... It's interesting how the international and territorial laws work with the imaginary lines that extend into the atmosphere and oceans...
Inevitable, though. We started with imaginary lines on the ground, but then we needed them for the sea too. Now we already need them for the air and even for beneath the ground. Such is the price of progress?

T

train

In a very simple manner - to me, such is the price of man. Though other animals are known to mark territories - we take it a bit further and actually put more meaning into them, let them dictate political climates that aren't relevant to their own boundaries, etc.

Sometimes I think man is a in a sad state...