Casual play variants

M

mpgsheep

I only just joined so someone tell me if i did anything wrong....Here goes

Me and a group of friends from school play a lot of magic.We play for fun, and if you want to read about what we have tried(and are planning to try), then use this link - http://www.deadnet.org.uk
Its pretty fun
ps, can someone explain lifeline(i never got how it worked)

thanks - mpgsheep

F

Firestorm

lifeline is like if one of your creatures dies then it goes back into play at the end of the turn it died on, but only if there is another creature in play.

H

Hetemti

If someone drops Wrath of God, they still come back because each critter "saw" anther critter in play when it was buried.

Lifeline. Broken. Why?
If it laughs at God and undos what God does, then it's broken.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

nope. if someone drops a wrath of god none of the creatures come back, cuz they were all simoultaneoulsy killed. and you have to have a creature in play to bring one back with lifeline

D

Duel

Sorry, death, but I think you're wrong. If a creature sees another one when it dies, lifeline brings it back. Kinda like the replenish/pandemonium ruling. THAT's why lifeline's broken.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You can change that to "I KNOW", Duel, because everything you wanted to know about Lifeline is right here:
Lifeline
Color=Artifact
Type=Artifact
Cost=5
US(R1)
Text(US+errata): Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard and another creature is in play, return the first creature from that graveyard to play under its owner's control at end of turn. [Oracle 99/07/21]
It works for all players and has errata to remove the "your graveyard" text. [bethmo 98/10/02]
Only triggers on a creature card going to the graveyard from play. When a card goes to the graveyard from someplace other than "in play", it is not a creature. [WotC Rules Team 98/10/18]
It checks to see if there are any creatures in play controlled by any player at the time the creature is put into the graveyard. If there are, it will put the creature back even if there are no creatures in play at the end of turn. [Urza's FAQ 98/10/05]
The creature comes back even if Lifeline leaves play. [Urza's FAQ 98/10/05]
It brings the card back even if the card was a creature only due to a spell or ability. It comes back as if newly cast, however. [WotC Rules Team 98/10/18]
If more than one creature is in play and all the creatures in play go to the graveyard at once (such as with Wrath of God), then all of them are returned at end of turn. [WotC Rules Team 98/10/18] This is because all "leaves play" triggers that check the state of the game check the game state at the time right before the card left play. See Rule A.4.21. [D'Angelo 98/11/17]
It fails to bring the creature back if the creature is not still in the graveyard at the end of turn. [D'Angelo 98/10/12]
If multiple creatures are coming back, they come back one at a time, not all at once. This is because Lifeline triggered once for each creature and set up a separate "at end of turn" effect for each. [D'Angelo 98/11/17]
There is no way to get an infinite loop with this card. This is because "at end of turn" triggers that happen after you start dealing with this turn's "at end of turn" triggers will wait until the following turn to be played. [D'Angelo 99/05/01]

D

Dead

Hi, this is my first post and all, so here goes.

I'm actually the maintainer of the site mentioned, (http://www.deadnet.org.uk) and thought i'd mention a couple of things briefly. Firstly, it's not exclusively about magic, so don't think you've got it wrong at first- just hit the magic link on the bottom frame once it loads, or jump straight to http://www.deadnet.org.uk/mtg.html . Once there you'll find a whole load about casual play- from deck ideas to PCD reviews and my regular column 'midnight magic'. Soon to arrive is my analysis of emperor format (non creature moving, 4 or 6 player spell range 1). I was wondering if anyone could suggest some interesting cards from pre-masques, as i've got that covered with respect to the bigger theme of sharing and the resultant abuse of spell range 1 that is possible with hunted wumpus et al. Any ideas please to magic@deadnet.org.uk