Captcha Questions

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I wanted to try something to cut down on the spammer registrations... I'm guessing there's live beings answering the traditional Captcha questions, but there's an option to create your own so I thought maybe if we got a bunch of Magic-related questions, I can put them up and hopefully the spammers won't know it (or won't go Googling or look for the answer).

So PM me with Magic related questions that can't be easily found on the Web but still not so hard that a legit Magic player would have too much trouble with and I'll test them out.

turgy22

Nothing Special
That seems like a really difficult task. I think any answer to a question that can't be easily found on the web risks turning away a wide swath of potentially legitimate players who maybe aren't as familiar with certain aspects of the game as most of us.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can tell you that in the past two months, there hasn't been *any* legitimate registrations. I let two go through as possibles, but I'm more thinking that they're spammers (especially if they haven't posted by now).

So I don't think there's a "wide swath" by any means :)

I also don't think the spammers are going to go to great lengths to find out the answer, but time will tell on that one. So I guess questions like "What protection does the Silver Knight have" or "What's the middle expansion in the Urza block" might be good enough.

R

rokapoke

Stick with basic questions:

1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?

3. What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Wow, good questions, Spiderman. All the ones I tried to think of came up immediately when Googled.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman sent four or five. You guys want to send in some or I can start drafting some up; I thought it would be nice to have everyone participate, but I understand if everyone's busy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought up some and put them and Mooseman's up... let's see if it cuts down on spammers now...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, three spammers got through over the weekend... I wish I could see what questions they were able to answer successfully...