Caldera Magic

T

The Firemind

Hey guys I have mysteriously returned with a new deck. Its a jack of all trades for the mountains. It utilizes the allied colors of red without venturing beyond red borders, if you get me. So here we go:

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Kird Ape
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Blood Knight
3 Sedge Sliver
2 Rathi Dragon

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Terminate--too good to ignore.
3 Pyrokinesis

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Stomping Ground
2 Forest
6 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire

Sideboard: 15

1 Darigaaz, the Igniter
4 Pyroblast
4 Hull Breach
3 Hit//Run
3 Decimate

The name for the deck was taken from Rhys the Exiled's yew magic. I believe it to be fueled by GWB since those are the Treefolk colors. I included a lone Darigaaz in the sb because much like Colfenor is the sage of yew magic, Darigaaz is the sage for caldera magic. The gold cards are all pretty simple. In choosing them I had 2 objectives: cost efficency and balance: as you can see, 2 (Terminate and Hit) are BR, and 2 (Hull Breach and Decimate} are RG.

Rathi has become a staple finisher for me lately, so he's here. I added the Swamp and Forest cards in the event that I would have to sacrifice a shockland to Rathi's cost. I chose Pyrokinesis over Fireblast because of the low amount of Mountain cards I have here, and because I'm already blowing up lands with Rathi.

Please no Tarmogoyfs. :eek:

He's a good beater, but this is not his deck.

So that's about it.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Doesn't Rathi Dragon require you to sac mountains? Wouldn't it make more sense to have all of your lands create red mana and some of them produce multiple? Like the RGB lair land from Planeshift or the filter lands?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It might be better to replace some the forests and swamps with
Darigaaz's Caldera, Shivan Oasis, Stomping Ground, Urborg Volcano

I also am partial to Blazing Salvo

The only reason for the Black is the Sliver? And the Forests are just for the Ape?
Why not eliminate the 3rd color?

Uthden Troll could replace the sliver..... It doesn't give all trolls that ability.

But what do I know, I only spend 10 minutes making a deck.... :D

M

Modus Pwnens

I disagree on the manabase, with plenty of fetch and (shock)duals, you shouldn't be colorscrewed. Only thing you might want to look out for is the occasional wasteland (Yes kids, legacy has it's disadvantages as well ;)).

It looks to me like you'll be through your hand pretty fast. Have you considered including wheel of fate (or a lot better: wheel of fortune)?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Of course you shouldn't get color screwed, there are 20 land that deal with the other 2 colors..... 66 card deck?

It's an interesting idea, I just think the Ape and the Sliver aren't both necessary.

But, once again, that's only my poor opinion.....