Barrin's Spine [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I broke my own rule and built my West Cost Commander League deck the morning of the event again. Shame on me. My excuse this time is a combination of "I was working on a Canadian Highlander deck the day before" and "I didn't know what the monthly points for March would be until the day before." Both are true, albeit unsatisfying excuses.

Although my extremely rushed deckbuilding didn't quite do Barrin justice, I feel somewhat vindicated by the amount of fun I was able to squeeze out of what appears to be a very low popularity commander. Never seen anyone else build a deck around this guy until I did it. I'm the best. Oh, I should mention the points. Let's see...

-Remove a creature from combat.
-Remove/counter/destroy 3 spells or permanents opponents control.
-Remove a +1/+1 or -1/-1 counter from a permanent by adding the other kind of counter, so they cancel each other out.
-Cause an opponent's life total to become 40 (I didn't go for this one this time).
-Cast your commander and have one of its activated or triggered abilities return something to its owner's hand (weekly rotator).

There are some token-generators in blue that could provide fodder for Barrin's ability, but I opted for a more artifact-heavy route. Spine of Ish Sah is a great Magic card. Despite my hasty deck construction, this turned out alright and made for some fun games. Had a big counter war against the player with Venser. Messed with combat a bunch of times. Amusingly, the deck's crowning achievement was that I happened to topdeck Cowardice early on at a table with an opponent whose deck was all-in on Feather, the Redeemed. He'd never seen Cowardice and was completely stumped by it. That one card bricked his whole engine.

Commander
1x Barrin, Master Wizard

1x Aether Spellbomb
1x AEtherize
1x Anvil of Bogardan
1x Arcane Denial
1x Arcane Lighthouse
1x Ash Barrens
1x Blink of an Eye
1x Brainstorm
1x Buried Ruin
1x Cathodion
1x Chain of Vapor
1x Contagion Clasp
1x Counterspell
1x Cowardice
1x Crawlspace
1x Cryptic Command
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Darksteel Citadel
1x Disallow
1x Dragon Blood
1x Echo of Eons
1x Emry, Lurker of the Loch
1x Fabricate
1x Fact or Fiction
1x Field of Ruin
1x Grim Monolith
1x Ichor Wellspring
1x Inventors' Fair
13x Island
1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1x Kuldotha Forgemaster
1x Lion's Eye Diamond
1x Mana Crypt
1x Mana Drain
1x Mana Vault
1x Mana Web
1x Manifold Key
1x Maze of Ith
1x Meekstone
1x Memory Jar
1x Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1x Mindslaver
1x Mishra's Self-Replicator
1x Mishra's Workshop
1x Myr Battlesphere
1x Myr Retriever
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Narset, Parter of Veils
1x Nexus of Fate
1x Reef Worm
1x Rhystic Deluge
1x Rhystic Study
1x Scrap Trawler
1x Seat of the Synod
1x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Serrated Arrows
1x Serum Visions
9x Snow-Covered Island
1x Sol Ring
1x Spellskite
1x Spine of Ish Sah
1x Strip Mine
1x Su-Chi
1x Swan Song
1x Tezzeret the Seeker
1x Tezzeret, Artifice Master
1x Thawing Glaciers
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Thirst for Knowledge
1x Thought Vessel
1x Thran Dynamo
1x Time Spiral
1x Timetwister
1x Ugin, the Ineffable
1x Voltaic Key
1x Wash Out
1x Windfall
1x Workshop Assistant
1x Wurmcoil Engine

Shoe

I love Barrin, but he isn't played much. I had a list long ago, but I lost all my decks in 2014 and never rebuilt. He is fun and quite powerful. I see him in other poeples 99 sometimes