Bargaining for a Bargain

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Even though I am getting out of magic, people are still asking me to help them with their decks at my school. As to why this stupid old player who lets his integrity get in the way of having fun is considered knowledgeble I don't know. But one guy is actually asking me to make a deck for him, and he will pay me whatever it takes to put the deck together and a little more for the effort I went to. Luckily for me, he wanted to build Rector Bargain, which i had some of the cards for. I can't easily sell my whole collection but what this has inspired me to do is trade my crap to get good cards to put in a deck that I then sell to the person who is looking for me to build it for them. Anyways here is the decklist I came up with so far. It has won in play testing on aprentice fourth turn everytime, which I have never had deck do that on apprentice (consistent turn victory).

Bargaining with a Rectum, or Familiar Rectum, or Laxative (since rector is close to rectum and the deck runs through itself like a laxative) (I still haven't decided on a name yet, which I think I should name it since it is my baby)

4x Yawgmoth's Bargain
4x Academy Rector
4x Skirge Familiar
4x Burnt Offering
4x Dark Ritual
4x Ivory Tower
4x Orim's Chant
4x Vindicate
3x Drain Life
2x Spellbook
2x Death Grasp
1x Feldon's Cane
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Tainted Field
2x Peat Bog
2x Remote Farm
1x Plains
7x Swamp

I know the pain lands kind of hurt the deck since you need life to draw with, but the towers and the Death grasps I am hoping and so far work well with gaining it back and then some before I start the combo. I can kill Rector a number of ways:
1.) Burnt offering, which yields mana that helps with playing the familiar if he is not already out.
2.) Vindicate, doubles as both heavy disruption and aid to getting combo.
3.) Drain Life, this is a last resort since I need the Drain Lifes more than the Grasps for the kill. Why? I will explain later. But it does gain me two life and doubles as a Kill card
4.) Death Grasp, this is better than drain life in this instance because you gain as much life as mana you spend, thus helping you with Bargaining. It also doubles as creature disruption and is once again better than drain life in that instance. It also can be used as a kill card but I am not in favour of it over Drain Life in this circumstance
The lack of tutors of any kind is apparent, but here is the thing; Academy is a tutor basically but it puts the enchantment you tutor for into play immediately, and since the enchantment is Bargain you just pay a whole bunch of life and get all the cards you need usually. But before I kill the rector I chant if I can. This will prevent them from countering anything vital. If they do counter the chant itself I go ahead anyways but not full force and try to chant on my next turn. With the mana left over if I burnt offering I usually tap a swamp or something and play the familiar. Depending on if the Chant went through or not, and if I have the appropriate mana to win or whatever I will give them another turn especially if I play any towers or have them out. During my next upkeep --one of my favorite tricks with this deck-- before Ivory tower goes off, I bargain all my life on the stack, and draw a whole bunch of cards. Then depending on the number of cards I started with in my hand before I bargained, gain all my life back. Then I Orim's chant. Let them counter it since I can just bargain more and Orim's again, and again. If they can waste three counters in one turn and still have enough counters to disrupt my kill then they should win. I chuck the cards to the familiar for black. Then Drainlife them or whatever depending on what I have in my hand and what they have in play, if it is something that can stop me I'll vindicate it. And as an extra mana producer I can offering the familar after I am done chucking cards. Oh and play the cane just in case. Then drain life them. If it doesn't kill them bargain some more and drain life them for the remainder of my cards in my library. If they manage to survive still or it is like a multiplayer game or something, use the cane and start again. Anyways I think it is pretty solid, but I am a little worried about speed. That is why I added the peat bogs and remote farms. A first turn one of those speeds you up. Dark rituals help also. Also casting the familiar could potential get me out of a tight spot by providing the mana to hard cast Bargain or something.
It is an expensive deck. I hope to make some good money off of it, but also I don't want to rip off my friend. So I am looking for questions, or comments. Thanks y'all.

M

Mikeymike

Do you know what format he plays? If it's type1, you might want to stick to the Banned/Restricted list, which Yawgmoth's Bargain is a member of (Restricted). If you do decide to stick to the list you can build 3 more Bargain decks/variants...split up the goodies. Sell them to his buddies to play against one another and talk smack about who's got the best Bargain deck.

The original still looks good, and cheap, and instant. Renounce, B/W is dangerous when it's casting instants

Other considerations:
Claws of Gix
Innocent Blood - a possible swap with Burnt Offering. Depends how your mana situation feels I suppose, but I can think of a few Type 1 bigguns this would be good for.
Gemstone Mine (got lazy here)
Zurab Orb
Anvil of Bogardan (possible replacement to Spellbook)
Fetch Lands (Onslaught for the bucks, Mirage for the space)
Tithe
Scroll Rack

Restricted Goodies:
Necropotence (Bargain Backup, you'll need it)
Sol Ring
Yawgmoth's Will (nearly as broken as the Bargain in here)
Strip Mine
Balance
Enlightened Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Tolarian Academy (if your artifact count goes up)
Demonic Consultation
Spoils of the Vault (not restricted yet, but will be)

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

lol that part about selling other decks to his friends, I might actually do that, but not with Bargain because like two other people are asking me to make a Recsur decklist and an Oath.

M

Mikeymike

Right on

It kind of lost my breath when I saw Recsur, and I fully admit it might have been out of fear. Survival...so broken...but so green (green shout-out).

T

train

since it involves the rector - the caretaker for the "rec-tum"... and runs through itself like a laxative...

"Pepto-Proof"

There's a name for ya...

And I may be missing this - but what is the 4th turn kill?... cycling through the deck for mana spells, then draining, or grasping?...

If so - why not use something like shadowblood or darkwater eggs to replace the mana spent and draw, or chromatic spheres for the same... and even run tendrils of agony.... this way you don't have to keep cycling through the deck, and you don't have to cast so many spells...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
He gains life via tower and stuff, to use Bargain to get his hand size high, then uses the mana from Burnt Offering and one other to play Skirge Familiar, and pitches a giant hand to Drain Life them for a lot. If it doesn't kill them, he can draw more cards off the life he gained and do it again. As long as his life total doesn't get too low before he goes off, if works perfectly. My old version of this could get a second turn kill, although it was unlikely, it did happen sometimes...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

It has averaged fourth turn but I see a somewhat plausible way for it to get second also. I am not too sure that I am going to put in renounce since I already have so many ways to kill the Rector and the grasps, drain lifes, and the Towers already give me the life I need. Tendrils of Agony would not be good because it only plays like drain life and Orim's chant on the turn it kills them. Storm isn't good when you only played one spell ahead of the storm spell itself. It used to be a big deck back in the day, and I am pretty happy with the kill. But thanks for the advice, I will consider it.

T

train

wel.. the Storm was mentioned because I was thinking you were cycling the mana spells, rituals, etc... to generate a lot of mana...

That's why I asked about the kill...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, once the Familiar's out, it doesn't take that many spells...

You know, Abeyance replaces itself...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Abeyance might replace itself, but I don't need it to. The kicker also appeals to me.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, the extra white mana for it looks lovely...

Okay, so Chant's great too...

I just like Abeyance more...

S

Spuky

Why dont you play cabal therapy, i think that they are a must in a combo deck that involves academy rector, its (in my opinion) the best way to sac the rector, and also you might want to put a yawgmoth will in there, and you can use the new mirrodin drain life(sorry, i dont remember the name right now), it´s better than Dlife.

another thing : don´t sell the deck!!, you just got a lovely bunch of cards there.

T

train

spuky

cards beyond prophecy are not in the card inventory - so cabal therapy isn't an option... (it's in the original post)

though a good suggestion if they were...;) :cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, Chant is past Prophecy. In fact, I'm not sure as to what the reason for Therapy not being in there is. Maybe he thinks that there are enough ways to kill Rector already, but Therapy is the best one, even if it is from a newer set...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Originally posted by Spuky
Why dont you play cabal therapy, i think that they are a must in a combo deck that involves academy rector, its (in my opinion) the best way to sac the rector, and also you might want to put a yawgmoth will in there, and you can use the new mirrodin drain life(sorry, i dont remember the name right now), it´s better than Dlife.

another thing : don´t sell the deck!!, you just got a lovely bunch of cards there.
Well I am selling it, sorry. But I am walking away with a large sum of money. Yeah Cabal would be really good I completely forgot about it. Yeah people keep telling me the new drain life is better but in actuality it isn't. Drain life isn't limited by the mana you pay, so say for instance furnance of rath is in play you gain twice as much as you played mana, but you see in this instance both cards work fine, and I had access to drain life. I am considering Will too but not sure yet. Thanks for the tip