Banned/Restricted

G

Gryphonclaw

How do you people deal with bans/restrictions in casual play?
I've usually played that all banned cards were restricted and restricted were as usual, one of each.

A

Apollo

My group has for the most part adhered to them, because we occasionly attend tournaments at the spur of the moment and want our decks to be legal.

Off topic, i'd like to apologize if I came off as a little (or a lot) rude in your "Eureka!" post. I kind of got caught up in the train of thought, and it is a nice idea, just kind of impractical.

Apollo

Z

Zadok001

Basically, we consider a deck 'ok' as long as it adheres to at least one format. Of course, good Type 1 decks don't get the same respect as a good Type 2 deck, but hey... :)

W

Wizard2000

Personally I don't give a **** what DCI thinks I should and shouldn't play. The group I used to game with usually tried to stick to T2 rules though.

U

Ura

Most of the guys who play at my shop and myself try to stick to some kind of format, mostly cause I run a tournament every month of a differant type. But we do occasionally break the DCI lists cause we want to have fun with the game rather than follow what some stuffed up person in an office tells us. :)

A

arhar

In a multiplayer, my group has the following rules:

No banned, no restricted cards, any card is allowed - even Unglued.

NO CHEESINESS!!! There are cards that everyone will scorn you for playing, unless you are a girl, in which case it's ok. So far the only cards on this list are Circles of Protection, Runes of Protection, GRoP, etc. Also, no cheesy combos are allowed.

In duels, however, we tend to stick to types.

D

Duel

Here's how I think it works (Zadok, correct me if I'm wrong) we run largely on the common sense policy. When a deck becomes abusive, darwin kicks in, we kill the deck every time it's played, and the player decides that maybe he'd live longer if he buiilt a different deck. If the deck goes off even when all our attention is focused on it, we trust that the player has the consciounce to stop it. I know a guy who has a mana drain but refuses to use it. I'd let him use it, hell, If one of the guys got ahold of a few power 9 cards, I'd let them use it.

G

Gizmo

Well I`m a hardcore tourney player so it shoudln`t come as any surprise to hear me say I follow Ban/Res liek a blind man being led through a dark cave.
And that`s some close following.

But I think they are fundamentally a good thing - in the most cases if a card got banned it was because it was fundamentally unpleasant to play against, and that`s true both in killer tourney decks that abuse it, or on it`s own.
And not adhering to Type2 removes one of the main reasons I play Magic - which is that I can (and have) gone to different towns, even different countries armed with my Type2 decks and KNOW I will find a game and have a good time regardless of whether I know anybody or even speak the language.
It`s just a software compatability issue.

T

The Magic Jackal

My friends and i have all sorts of banned cards for multiplayer games. It's basically any card that will screw over an opponent, kill many permanents, or totally change the game. example: story circle, cop, rop, armageddon, wrath of god, theives acution (this is just annoying),etc.

Z

Zadok001

Awww! You can't just go and ban Wrath of God! Cards that completely change the game are the life of multi-player. :)

Gizmo: Explain to me why the cave must be dark for the blind man to care? J/K.

Duel: Yeah, that's pretty accurate. But I complain pretty insanely if someone comes in bearing an Extended deck with 4 Bargains (a la' Sean, there for a while).

C

Captain Caveman

When I play with friends, we adhere to these
list. Mine you, I'm talking about Casual
play. You will find some of the following
cards on the Type I Banned list. The idea is
to have fun and enjoy the games. As a group
we DO allow players to Proxy. However, that
is a choice WE made.

Current Banned Cards:
Bronze Tablet
Divine Intervention
Darkpact
Shaharazzad
...any other ante card

Current Restricted Cards: ONE per Deck
Academy Rector
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Berserk
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Braingeyser
Chaos Orb
Channel
Citanul Flute
Crop Rotation
Demonic Tutor
Demonic Consultation
Enlightened Tutor
Fastbond
Fork
Grinning Totem
Grim Monolith
Ivory Tower
Land Tax
Library of Alexandria
Memory Jar
Mind Twist
Mirror Universe
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Sapphire
Mox Ruby
Mystical Tutor
Phyrexian Portal
Recall
Recurring Nightmare
Regrowth
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Stroke of Genius
Survival of the Fittest
Time Spiral
Time Walk
Timetwister
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Underworld Dreams
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yawgmoth's Will

Its a pretty generous list and good players
will find ways to abuse the list but when
people stop playing with Him/Her they get
the message.

T

The Magic Jackal

Wrath of god is banned because a lot of my friends play green, and there is no way that they can stop it. Today one of my friends played contamination deck in an emporer game. The only problem is that he was the emporer, and both his flanks were playing black :(

D

Duel

Hey Zadok, you notice sean won't play his bargain deck against me? I meet cheese with cheese, and nobody beats by black beatdown deck headon *sound of ego inflating*
But what I think the biggest problem I have is with cards that have cycled out. I'll use cards that have not been printed since third edition, and I like it like that. The best hing is, the environment we have is closed, so only three players have, say Yawgmoth's Will. they will therefore be the only ones who use it. I own every pandemonium (all 2).

G

galtwish

The 5 Color B/R list are good guidelines for creating balanced casual decks, while multiplayer decks are pretty much anything goes.
Build to the power level of the environment you are playing in. I have a Highlander Red deck that doesn't need more than 1 of any one card, due to the fact that it is chock full for cool rares and uncommons. but I only play it in fun games against my friends. When they upgrade the tech of their decks and card selection, I'll have to rachet up the arms race too. of course, there is alway T2 or Extended to play in if you want a few competitive games...

Erik

G

Gizmo

"Like a partially-sighted person being led through a dark cave."

That better, Zadok?

T

theorgg

Oh! good.

get on my back and pick the ticks off at the base of me ears.

I always poke a hole through them when I try to get the little buggers off...

thanks.

I

Istanbul

Allow my to bring my Unglued deck....four Charm Schools, and a baseball cap to put on over them. ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

Like a guy with poor night vision being led through a dark maze by a blind man being led by a retarded seeing-eye dog that isn't really a dog at all but a stuffed teddy bear on a skateboard with no wheels...

T

Toast

"Casual Multi-Player is supposed to be just that ..........CASUAL, you don't need some organization to tell you what you can and can't play, alls fair in love and war play what you want when you want, but bring that CONGREGATE near me again and perish"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some cards aren't fair in multi-players but who gives a damn we're here to have FUN!
Make up your own mind as to what is broken or not