B/W: not arena

G

Griffith_se

It's sort of like the Shifting Sky's deck except with Darkest Hour.
I want to put in a few other cards, but don't know how to fit them in.

Death Grasp, Phyrexian Arena, Plague Spitter, and Vindicate.

- Creatures 16 -
4 Obsidian Acolyte
4 Nightwind Glider
4 Lightbringer
4 Northern Paladin

- Spells 20 -
4 Darkest Hour (to bad it doesn't change all perms. but hey, it's a bargin)
4 Circle of Protection: Black

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict
4 Bog Down

- Land 24 -
4 Caves of Koilos
10 Swamp
10 Plains

J

jcredberry

I loved B/W when I was starting to play Magic... But right now is EXCELENT to play a B/W deck... And yours is a very, VERY good design...

I would maybe remove the 4 Bog Down and add Vindicate... Also think on removing a couple CoP:Black and put Death Wrasp...

I'll test ASAP and give you some feedback...

G

Griffith_se

You really like this, I didn't detect any sarcasm?

If you really do like it, then thanks.

I do realize the strategy is probably pretty weak, and the the changes you suggest would probably help.

It'll be interesting to see how it play's for you.

LMK what happens.

I

Istanbul

I like Voice of All over Obsidian Acolyte; almost everything you have already has protection from black, but if you end up facing burn, Voice of All can go pro:red to survive.

I

Istanbul

I also think Story Circle should be used instead of Circle of Protection: Black. If you opponent isn't playing black and you don't draw Darkest Hour, you're dead.

G

Griffith_se

Yes, very good points.

- Creatures 15 -
4 Obsidian Acolyte
3 Voice of All
4 Lightbringer
4 Northern Paladin

- Spells 23 -
3 Darkest Hour
3 Story Circle

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict
3 Bog Down
4 Vindicate
2 Death Grasp

- Land 22 -
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
9 Plains

M

Mikeymike

Don't cut back on the Darkest Hour, thats what makes the deck tic. And as much as I hate to admit it, Death Grasp (which I love) is limited in here any would be better off as something else. You don't have Dark Rituals, heavy lands or outside sources of mana so you'll just be holding them forever. The lifegain of the Verdicts should do fine for you.

Also, I am another person who loves Bog down, but with discard as a sub-theme 11 sources are a lot. Run Abyssal Spectre instead which a) fits the discard idea b) gives you more flying beats, which your deck is light on.

I'm not sold on Story Circle entirely b/c the W mana stipulation could haunt you (along with the W activation cost of the Acoylte) b/c you are light on White mana. Istanbul does raise a very valid point though. I'm not sure here, just keep it for consideration.

Last thing to consider, Distorting Lens might be a fun addition to the mix (at least for the sideboard). It will allow you to blow up lands every turn with the Paladin, allowing you to play around with Obliterate and Creatureless Control decks, which this deck will have a serious problem with.

G

Griffith_se

Yeah, more good point's, I'll have to re-think this some.
No more time today though.

Really like the "Distorting Lens" idea, hadn't thought of that.

G

Griffith_se

- Creatures 16 -
3 Obsidian Acolyte
3 Abyssal Specter
3 Voice of All
3 Lightbringer
4 Northern Paladin

- Other 22 -
4 Darkest Hour

1 Story Circle
3 CoP: Black
2 Distorting Lens

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict

4 Vindicate

- Land 22 -
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
10 Plains

M

Mikeymike

It looks damn good to me, but then again this is me we are talking about and I like funny cards sometimes :D.

currently the deck is 61 cards, but I like the 23rd land. I would probably squeeze in 1 more plains (you've got 10 4cc spells, 23 lands might be too few, but try 23 first).

Try dropping 1 Lightbringer for the plains.

Also, another thing to consider you might not need the Distorting Lenses main deck. I say might because basically they are going to act as a 5th & 6th Darkest Hour, but I really see their strength in creature light decks (where you can side them in). Actually the more I think about it, the more I like the 2 main deck as it does combo so nicely with the Paladin (and I might add 1-2 more). I'm so confused.

Cool deck, kick arse with it.

G

Griffith_se

61 total cards, I'm thinking about cutting either:

1 Voice of all
or
1 Story Circle
or
1 Duress
or
Just leave it 61 cards

Creatures 15
3 Obsidian Acolyte
3 Abyssal Specter
3 Voice of All
2 Lightbringer
4 Northern Paladin

- Other 22 -
4 Darkest Hour

1 Story Circle
2 Distorting Lens

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict

4 Vindicate

- Land 24 -
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
11 Plains

G

Griffith_se

how's this?
I was thinking that I would have cards to pitch, like extra Darkest Hour's or CoP:Black's
how could I take advantage of that (Unmask maybe).

I'm going to have dead cards how do I fix that, but stay with this idea?

Creatures 14
4 Obsidian Acolyte
3 Abyssal Specter
3 Voice of All
4 Northern Paladin

- Other 22 -
4 Darkest Hour

2 Story Circle
2 Distorting Lens

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict

4 Vindicate

- Land 24 -
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
11 Plains

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Maybe Reverent Mantra?
More of the cards that could become dead are black than are white (Darkest Hour excluded), and if you don't draw a Darkest Hour the CoPs are extremely dead cards.

M

Mikeymike

I wouldn't pitch it. The darkest hour dies to 99% of Pernicious deed readings and enchantment removal seems to be becoming stronger and more common. Plus a 2nd in hand protects your other enchantments. Keep the first DH out as a target (if you know they are running enchantment removal), wait til they blow it up, then drop the 2nd DH and a CoP or whatever.

TICM, in regards to dead CoPs, the 2 Distorting Lenses are like having a 5th and 6th Darkest Hour so unless your opponent is blowing everything thing up you should be able to do color manipulation every game.

G

Griffith_se

Can this be a serious deck? I was thinking about trying it in an E-League Master.

What about replacing Story Circle with Pariah?
Also thought about dropping 2 "Vindicate's or 2 Verdict's" for "Diabolic Intent"?
Not getting Darkest hour out sucks, but then I don't have a lot of creatures to sac?
Maybe the Rhystic Tutor?
Wish I room for more creatures (Lightbringer, Nightwind Glider)

Kinda started working on a sideboard a little.
If Opponent is packing Dodecapod's (I notice this guy is in a lot of sideboards) I'll have to side out the Specter's and Verdict's, what to replace them with?
<Just thinking out loud>

Creatures 14
4 Obsidian Acolyte
4 Voice of All
4 Northern Paladin
2 Abyssal Specter

Other 22
4 Darkest Hour
2 Distorting Lens

2 Pariah

2 Rhystic Tutor

4 Duress
2 Gerrards Verdict

4 Vindicate

Land 23
3 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
11 Plains

Sideboard 15
4 Dodecapod
3 Story circle
2 Spectral Lynx
2 Addle
2 Distorting Lens
2 Slay / Wrath (not sure, actually I'm not sure about anything)

J

jcredberry

I think you are getting into overkill zone here... COP and Pariah, Darkest Hour and Lens... I think the best version was the second with slight changes:

- Creatures 14 -
4 Obsidian Acolyte
4 Voice of All
2 Abyssal Specter
4 Northern Paladin

- Spells 23 -
3 Darkest Hour
3 COP: Black

4 Duress
4 Gerrards Verdict
2 Wrath of God
4 Vindicate
2 Death Grasp
2 Rhystic Tutor

- Land 22 -
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
9 Plains

I think this is the deck that adjusts better to your strategy... Maybe an splash of green for Necravolver and you have a trampler which also gives you life... This deck is a combo deck and should be treated like that, meaning that the COP's will be dead cards until you play DH... Don't get carried away by this fact... Patience, creature removal and discard and sooner or later you'll have your engine up and running... Try it and tell me later...

C

Cateran Emperor

I'd say definately keep the Lenses in at least somewhat, they allow you to make any permanent black, including lands... :D

This is actually a fantastically good deck idea Griffy, something that I would consider seriously playing. Not to mention that there isn't any deck that you couldn't smash with so many dirty sideboard choices for this color combination.

I'm going to work on this for awhile, back later with the results.

M

Mr.Gnome

Did you ever think of playing Worship in this deck?
It will keep you alive if you don't draw darkest hour and once you do draw it your opponet is really screwed. I would suggest playing worship instead of Cop: Black. Keep story circle.

J

jcredberry

It's a good idea... Worship will help you thru the beggining of the game... But remember that your creatures are still there for mass removal, leaving your Worship useless... That's why you should be patient and get your COP:Black in play with DH... Again, it's a combo deck, don't forget that... If you're going to play combo decks, you should be patient....