B/R Extended Deck - Land Destruction

L

Landkiller

I want to make a Black Red extended deck.

Because - I have
4 x Badlands

The concept will be

- Land Destruction -- Fast variant

so...

Land Destruction -- 20
4 x Avalanche Riders
4 x Stone Rain
4 x Raze
4 x Rain of Tears
4 x Encroach

Other -- 12
4 x Dark Ritual
3 x Skizzik
2 x Erratic Portal
2 x Pyre Zombie
1 x Corpse Dance

Lands -- 28
4 x Badlands
3 x Bad River
3 x Rocky Tar Pit
3 x Mountain
3 x Swamp
4 x Sulphorous Springs
4 x Wasteland
4 x Quicksand

Sideboard
4 x Urza's Rage
4 x Pillage
4 x Defense Grid
3 x Boil

Control Variant
Land Destruction -- 16
4 x Avalanche Riders
4 x Stone Rain
4 x Pillage
4 x Rain of Tears

Other -- 16
4 x Sphere of Resistance
2 x Erratic Portal
2 x Pyre Zombie
2 x Corpse Dance
2 x Yawgmoth's Agenda
4 x Void

Lands -- 28
4 x Badlands
3 x Bad River
3 x Rocky Tar Pit
3 x Mountain
3 x Swamp
4 x Sulphorous Springs
4 x Wasteland
4 x Quicksand

Sideboard
4 x Urza's Rage
4 x Pillage
4 x Defense Grid
3 x Boil

Which version looks better? Is there any improvements I can make?

L

Landkiller

"Fast" Version

Land Destruction -- 20
4 x Avalanche Riders
4 x Stone Rain
4 x Raze
4 x Rain of Tears
4 x Encroach

Other -- 12
4 x Mox Diamond
3 x Skizzik
2 x Erratic Portal
2 x Pyre Zombie
1 x Corpse Dance

Lands -- 28
4 x Badlands
3 x Bad River
3 x Rocky Tar Pit
3 x Mountain
3 x Swamp
4 x Sulphorous Springs
4 x Wasteland
4 x Quicksand

Since I just remembered Dark Ritual is banned in extended, changed them for Mox Diamond like everyone else!!

L

Landkiller

These deck is based off of my favorite deck of all time, and it represents a sad attempt to make it legal for extended.

I wish I could use Demonic Hordes as a victory condition over Pyre Zombie. But oh well. Also, the lack of non-basic land is extended is disturbing to my plan.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Whimsy and I posted our "Extended" B/R LD decks some time ago... although mine definitely doesn't use cards from Stronghold forward, so I don't know what is good now.

I guess mine is more a control deck because I focus on getting board control and then sticking out some big dude, like Shivan Hellkite or Juggernaught or the almight Energizer :)

Anyway, in general I found Razes to be bad. I only have one but it's a terrible first play drop (or second, or third). If they're in there for mid or later game, I guess that's okay.

For the control portion, Bolts and Edicts are just great for getting rid of stuff while you're building up to 3 mana to start casting the LD stuff. Cheap removal.

Purging Scythe was useful for me for a constant source of damage for weenie types (and colorless damage to boot!)

Might want to consider Choking Sands, as that deals an additional 2 points when you kill non-basics (and EVERYONE has non-basics, right?)

Might also want that single Strip Mine you're allowed to have.

If you really need to see my decklist I can dig it up for you.

L

Landkiller

Wait. Extended doesn't allow Strip Mine. Extended doesn't have restricted cards. Am I right? You're thinking of Type I, or Classic, or Vintage, or whatever they call "old-school" now.

What is the Energizer?

And thanks for replying. I just posted something here to raise it to the top, a while back.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Really? I thought Strip Mine was in 4th...

Anyway, Energize is 4cc Artifact Creature 2/2 that costs 2? colorless and tap to put a +1/+1 counter on it :). I just wanted to use it so I stuck it in.

L

Landkiller

Oh, I'd figured it was a nickname for Masticore or something.

Well, this I know about the Strip Mine. It is either restricted or banned. I think Extended didn't have any restrictions, so it would be banned by default.

I'm afraid I can't trade for Energizer. ;) Sorry.

W

Whimsical

A Pain and Suffering deck. Mah own B/R LD has long since mutated, ever since I got mah hands on a full set of Wildfire (danged card!). But I digress...

I like the fast variant but there are some questionable cards here.

Raze. I'll have to go with Spidey dahling here. At first blush, it looks like a weird form of Strip Mine (sorcery, R, sac land, destroy target land). As an early drop, it's terrible. Granted, you have more land than the opponent but losing that first or second turn land really bogs the deck down. LD functions well at the 3 mana range, and starts kicking around the 4th. Losing a land in the first few turns can kill you. <looks at the explanation> Now THAT didn't make sense. <laughs> Try Flowstone Flood. The buyback is hideous, but at least there's a buyback.

Encroach. Eh? I guess. It's technically discard ... but it'll work, I think.

Where're the Pillages? Pillages are too versatile NOT to be put in the deck. Aftershock is even more versatile, but it's a lot iffier to play with.

Try playing with Crystal Veins and Sandstone Needles/Peat Bogs. They provide a nice early boost, allowing you to start blowing up land at the second turn.

Need Earthquake here. No form of mass weenie sweeping. Purging Scythe (you love this card, don't 'cha, Spidey dahling? ;) ) will do too.

Edicts would fit in wonderfully. Lightning Bolt though turns the deck into Type 1. In that case, go whole hog and put in Demonic Hordes and Instill Energy too! :D

Happy Magicking! ;)

L

Landkiller

Actually, Whimsy, you run dangerously close to uncovering my favorite deck of all time, Type I LD.

Also, I may be wrong. With me running 28 land, Raze seems like it is okay.

Pillage in SB for the faster deck, main in the slower deck.

Diabolic Edict is very good. Bolt is in the type I
version, along with Chain Lightning. I didn't put decent removal in these decks. Chalk that up to me pulling an drug-induced all-nighter. Nothing illegal, just enough caffeine pills to kill a healthy ox.

I suppose the Peat Bog and Sandstone Needle are ok, and I could strongly consider them. I don't much like crystal vein. I'd prefer either ebon stronghold or dwarven ruins. But I have too many good lands to play any of those.

My Land Destruction Theory.

End : Opponent has no permanents.

Means : Land Destruction and ways of killing cheap cards. Since hopefully expensive cards will be an impossibility. The Land Destruction should at some point, go infinite. So that you can reach a certain mana level and perform, the dreaded one-sided eternal Geddon. My general "go infinite" point is Erratic Portal with Avalanche Riders. A virtual "go infinite" (considering my high land count + my land destruction) is the Army Ants. I used to use those and Millstone as my only victory conditions, until I joined the Dark Side of playing with creatures.

Erratic Portal is a virtual Rishadan Port with benefits, making it my favorite card in seven sets. If Erratic Portal was reprinted, I would play Magic the entire time it's legal, even if all the sets released from now on contain nothing but Mon's Goblin Raiders and Mountains.

Afterthought.
The win condition is almost irrelevant. I prefer Lightning Dragon, but I traded those to a good friend.

L

Landkiller

Mana cost, and mana curve.

There's not a whole lot this deck does on turn one.
Encroach also reveals their hand, letting me know which color to attack in terms of LD. This can be invaluable.

I would play Despoil if it wasn't a strict land destruction deck.

Despoil is okay. It would go in a mono-black deck, as a flexible and powerful way to deal with lands.
But the most effective land destruction must occur early. You must neutralize a player's ability to use thier cards as quickly as possible.

Despoil I see as more of a setback card. Since this is extended. In type II there is no question I would use Despoil, in a LD deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So you're saying that you expect Raze to be a mid or late game play? 'Cause Whimsy and I think it's a TERRIBLE first/second turn play.

Hey, you might as well go all out and put in Sol Ring. That might give you a first turn drop (yeah, right :)) and help speed up that second turn LD stuff.

L

Landkiller

Yeah. Raze isn't a good first/second turn play, except in a goblin deck.(where it's awesome on the second turn)

I could replace Raze with Pillage. Oh, but I went and traded away my Sol Rings, because I've never been a big fan of mana acceleration. It feels like cheating. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you didn't catch me on this, because I felt dumb after thinking about it: You wanted this to be Extended, right? and Sol Ring isn't allowed...

Unless you just chose not to mention it... ;)