L

Lotus Mox

[spam] I own 3 [/spam] ;)

I had an Avatar of Woe deck which featured janky cards like Worry Beads, Black Market and lot's of creatures which fill the graveyard like Blood Pet, Hidden Horror and Bone Shredder.

But I think the the Black Avatar really shines in MP where he can come out very fast if many of the players play with creatures.

G

Gerode

Today I played in an interesting game. Three AoWoes came into play with a Humility on the board. Then the Humility was removed...

S

superguy

Let's see, Survival of the Fittest, Buried Alive, Attunement, Hermit Druid, you know the usual graveyard stuff :)

D

Dementia

I made a deck with Woe and Noxious Vapors from Planeshift.

It's pretty cool first turn Ritual, Vapors get rid of the creatures in yours and thier hands.

It's cool because the Vapors ruins thier plans while barely hurting yours. The deck also has Stupors and Hidden Horrors.

It's also got a little bit of red for Terms, Kris Mage, and Flametongue Kavu. Plus it's cool to keep two cards from the Vapors instead of one.

D

Duel

I had a deck based on mercenaries, Attrition, and Avatar of woe. It was fantastic, for a deck that was almost completely MBC. Avatar of woe is a very useful card, however it is not powerful enough to define a format. In order to be amazing a card must have 3 qualities:

1: Immediate impact.
Get it in play, and the game changes. It's a target all of a sudden. It must be able to come out on demand, usually the lower CC creatures do this better. Blastoderm, for example. Avatar has problems with this. Many times you devote much of the deck to solving the CC on this creature. Not a good thing. Exceptions include Verdant force, via Natural Order.

2: Lasting impact.
Leaves it's mark on the game, even if it dies. Avatar of woe does this VERY well. There are better cards, but not many. Verdant force is high on the list. Morphling scores low in this one area.

3: Utility.
I don't mean minor utility, I mean serious utility. Avatar of Woe is mediocre in this regard. When I say utility I mean Morphling-style utility is high, Verdant force/tradewind rider is good. Avatar is useful, just a little slow. And it has only one inherent defense: being black.

Notice the Verdant Force (the best fattie ever printed) is on all three. It just happened like that.

M

maraud234

I think that the Avatar is very useful, but it isn't the ultimate card. So I was wrong when I stated that it is the best card that I have. It is awesome when it is in play, the problem is bringing it into play. The best all around card I probably have are my mercenaries, like Cateran Enforcer and my Rathi Assasin.

F

fuzzy510

The art is cool.

Seriously, the main downside here is, of course, the 6BB casting cost. In a W/B deck, however, Wrath of God can get around this....:D

G

Gerode

Avatar of Woe gets rather good in multiplayer with an Awakening out. Attack, kill kill kill, repeat. If your opponents let you live that long.

D

Duel

I had a deck called war of attrition (concept courtesy of Duke and/or Istanbul. I'm not sure...)

4 Avatars of Woe
3 Attrition
4 Rhystic tutor
3 Highway robber
3 Haunted crossroads
2 Cateran Slaver
2 Cateran Enforcer
4 Dark Rituals
4 Cateran ???? (BB for a 2/1)
4 Rampart crawler
3 Molting Harpy
24 Swamps

IT was alot of fun. Mercenaries and attrition combined to both devastate my opponent and aid my Avatars. Highway robbers were great, woring well with everything, ESPECIALLY haunted crossroads. (2BBBB: Destroy a creature, target opponent loses 2 life, you gain 2 life.)

Avatar of woe is an afterthought card. A card you put in when your deck is going to have alot of casualties anyways. I'm surprised Living Death doesn't have a couple....

M

Mikeymike

In the realm of multiplayer the Avatar of Woe is the new king er queen of the hill. Yes the Verdant Force is extremely dangerous but he's inherently much more vulnerable and does not have evasion. Being black is a big deal as 50% of the cards which would kill her can't touch her.

Arti-Blackt is a nasty deck build around her. Basic concept, lots of artifact mana and card drawing so you get her out quickly. If you happen to pay the ACC great. Put Karn in there too to activate your opponents artifacts and kill them. Deck can be built 1,000 different ways, but you can't leave out the artifact mana.

Try splashing some blue into the deck for Trickster Mage, Twiddle and Whispers of the Muse.