Anyone interested in some decks?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have an old Magic strategy book, Deep Magic by Charles Wolfe and George Baxter, 1996. Aside from the "build a deck" chapters, it breaks down decks into five "basics" (burn, counterspell, fast creature (small and large), hand destruction, and land destruction) and gives examples of each. It also gives examples of "named" decks that are Type I and Type II for that time) that were tourney quality at some point. Is anyone interested in seeing the deck lists for them?

Some of the names are:

Type I

Granville's Explosion Deck
House of Pain
Matt's Eureka Deck
Charles' Liche Deck

Type II

Lazarus Deck
Quake and Surge
Tab's Green Thing
Ken's Sea of Fire
Maysonet's Amish Deck
The Black Sea
The Ping
White Blitzing Winds

T

Turtlewax Joe

When will you post the decks???

If you only post 1 I want to see the Eureka Deck:)

P

Pezmeister

you know, george baxter really deserves a lot of credit for basically revolutionizing the way magic is played. i've been searching used bookstores for his books, but all i've been able to find is "mastering magic cards". oh well, i've been told they're really all the same...

post the decks (or at least a few), the strategy is always interesting.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, back when Magic was taking off with the Pro Tour and all, George Baxter with his books got things going for a lot of people (and his decks weren't that bad either). It's surprising that there hasn't been any new books written about strategy lately/recently....

I also have Mastering Magic Cards but there aren't any really good "fun" deck ideas in that one, just theory and stuff.

I'll try to post the decks once a day, to get this forum going albeit slowly to see if people want to respond.

I

Istanbul

That's okay. I'll take theory over decklist every day. Theory promotes understanding and creativity. Decklists promote copying.

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by Istanbul
That's okay. I'll take theory over decklist every day. Theory promotes understanding and creativity. Decklists promote copying.
how true, how true.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't very well list the theory in the book, that's what getting the book is for :) Besides, since it's 1996, a lot of it is pretty well known anyway (although it would help beginners and stuff).

Turtlewax Joe: It's a-coming...