another bad deck by Duster?

D

Duster

I kind of threw this one together...it's for T2, it's a U/R Rising Waters type deck. It probably sucks, but so do I :)

2 Seismic Mage
4 Veteran Brawlers
3 Troublesome Spirit
2 Spiketail Hatchling
4 Chimeric Idol

3 Tectonic Instability
3 Citadel of Pain
4 Rising Waters
2 Collective Restraint
4 Disrupt
2 Thwart
2 Hoodwink

2 Well of Discovery
2 Sky Diamond
2 Fire Diamond

7 Mountain
11 Island

So basically the point is to get your opponent to a position where he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
It's kind of hard to explain, but you can probably see how it works a little.
Pop off his lands with the mage or bounce them with hoodwink. The Tectonic Instability helps keep their lands tapped, making rising waters effective. The citadel of pain are in there for before you can get out a rising waters or other big enchantment in this deck to maybe make your opponent take some damage. Collective Restraint locks down their creatures because chances are they'll have no mana to spend to attack.

Any comments are appreciated, even if they're just "You're a moron Duster, this deck blows!" but constructive criticism would be nicer :)

P

Purple_jester

You get bonus points for originality. I've never seen this set of combinations before. It will probably be a little less efficient than a mono-blue Waters. Needless to say, you need more land, boy. At least 4 more land, actually.

Running 18 lands is for decks with an average cc of 2. This deck runs into the 3cc average, actually. With the diamonds, I think that 2 more lands MIGHT be enough.

Have you tested this yet?

W

Whimsical

One that truly epitomizes the CPA. <laughs> Go all nutty deck designers out there! Eherm. Anyways. Off to critique!

Hmm. Purple's got a point. 18 lands might be a real pesky thing. 20 or even 22 lands might be a better bet, stabilizing mana. Other than the land count ... I like the deck.

Hmm. Power Sink! I know it's not much of a counter (what with the new wording on it), but it really complements the deck theme.

Kudos for an original (to moi at least) deck design!

Happy magicking! :D

M

Mikeymike

Got to agree with the ladies on your land count.

I like Tectonic Instability but it might not do you too much good in here. It gives your opponent the choice of what lands to sacrifice, foregoing the advantage of the Waters.

Well of Discovery works very nicely with the theme, but again, you look like you'll have a tough time getting up to 6 mana to cast it. Gush might be better for card drawing, or even better, Rhystic Study (one of the best non-counter blue commons ever).

You have a very cool little deck though, don't call it bad by any means.

Z

Zero

I agree with evreything that has been said. But I suggest you take out the citadel. Oh, whats the new wording on Power Sink?
(I will try to be more helpful soon, I just wanted to ask that qeustion)

D

DÛke

...had a deck similar to that once, so I could offer you plenty of advice.

Rishadan Footpad is what you really should consider. In your deck, it's like a 2/2 that destroys a land (or other permanent, but it's still good!) when it comes to play.

Rhystic Scrying might be good in your deck too; 3 cards for 4 mana is a bargain.

Rhystic Study is even better. It keeps the opponent from playing effectively. It's like he/she either pays 1, which is exactly what you want them to do, or, they let you draw a card, would gives you what you need to "tangle" the opponent some more. Either choice would give you huge advantage.

Citadel of Pain becomes useless after the deck has developed. You said you have in the deck to maybe deal some damage to the opponent for before you get the big stuff like Rising Waters into play, well, why don't you replace the Citadel with something that helps you GET the big things? Or, you could add in 3 Mana Shorts, which will really STOP the opponent for one turn; like a Time Walk, anyone?

Man, Duster, your deck is great dude! I'm surprised at you! This deck is cool; and you're cool too. Keep that in mind, and you'll be the coolest. :)

P

Purple_jester

Here you go on Power Sink. The wording is a little different. Last time, you were forced to try to pay the extra mana. Now, it's an option, which is why it's a little weaker.

(C1)/IA(C1)/MI(C1)/TE(C1)/US(C1)/6(U1)
Text(6th+errata): Counter target spell unless its controller pays {X}. If
he or she doesn't, that player taps all lands with mana abilities he or
she controls and empties his or her mana pool. [Oracle 00/02/01]

When this spell resolves, you either pay X mana or let all your mana
producing lands become tapped. The lands that become tapped are not
"tapped for mana". [bethmo 97/10/09] If you choose to pay, you may pay
the X mana using whatever mana abilities you want to use.

Special lands which cannot provide mana are not tapped by this card.
[D'Angelo 98/06/05]

If the land provides mana only for specific purposes (like
Mishra's Workshop), it cannot be used to pay the X mana (unless that
purpose is being filled). Mishra's Workshop, like most purposed mana,
could not be used to pay for Power Sink. [WotC Rules Team 9Power Sink:
Info: Color=Blue Type=Instant Cost=XU
ABUR454/09/30]

Does not increase the casting cost of the spell. It just requires a
separate expenditure in order for it to succeed. [bethmo 94/05/05]
Note - Also see X Costs, Rule K.26.

D

Duster

A little bit of revision :) Thanks for the help!

2 Seismic Mage
4 Veteran Brawlers
3 Troublesome Spirit
2 Spiketail Hatchling
4 Chimeric Idol

3 Tectonic Instability
2 Citadel of Pain
4 Rising Waters
2 Collective Restraint
3 Rhystic Study
4 Disrupt
2 Thwart
2 Hoodwink

2 Sky Diamond
2 Fire Diamond

7 Mountain
13 Island

Which puts me at 62 cards, but I think the Rhystic Studys I added make up for that.
I was about to ditch the Citadels, but I LOVE them, I figure if the opponent wants to "save up" lands from the Waters, then they'll get pinged there too.
I looked up the footpad and he'd be good if it was specifially a land and not just a permanent.
The only thing I'm worried about with this deck is that it's a little enchantment heavy... but it's really just casual and chances are I'll never play it, so...
Once again, thanks with the help, please critique my revision if you want :)

D

Duster

By the way, if you guys could check out my Dueling Elephants deck in the Casual Decks forum and comment, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Z

Zero

Red (15)
4 Seal of fire
4 Veteran Brawerls
4 Stone Rain
3 Tectonic Instability
Artifact (4)
4 Chimeric Idol
Blue (15)
4 Parrlalax Tide
4 Counterspell
4 Boomerang
3 Troublesome Spirit
1 Rising Waters
Land (20)
4 City of Brass
2 Dsut bowl
7 Island
5 Mountain

This is a deck that surprusingly does very good, and has some of the same vibes.
Im not saying use this deck, but whatch how it functions, and use the good parts:)