An oldie but goldy...advice?

R

Reverend Love

Last week a friend of mine basically sold out his soul and went turbo counter whore on me....this is the last straw I tell you! So I decided to revive an OOOOLD deck which ran around my local area (little after ice age came out). I've adjusted it here and there to make addition of the new cards.

Counters: 16
4 Mana Drain
4 Force of Will
4 Arcane Denial
4 Counterspell

Kill: 6
2 Storm Seeker
3 Blood Oath
1 Black Vice

Spells: 11
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Braingeyser
1 Stroke of Genius
2 Trade Secrets
2 Washout
3 Evacuation

Artifacts: 7
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Ruby
1 Sol Ring
4 Howling Mines

Land: 20
4 Volcanic Island
4 Taiga
4 Tropical Island
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Shivan Reef
1 Kaplusian Forrest
5 Islands

Basically counter like a cheap counter whore and if something gets through bounce it back. The ideal use of Mana Drain is with Braingeyser or Stroke quickly followed by either Seeker or Blood Oath. Evac and Washout works well with either Seeker and Oath. Trade Secrets works like a champ with the Vice and well with Seeker & Oath.

Its Cheesy...but then again it's suppose to be. The time is around for him to feel the stank oink power of counter whoring....along with a little burn.

Any advice?

Killer Joe

That's an impressive card pool!

However, you're playing a good deck for the wrong reason. Play this deck because you enjoy playing it otherwise play a deck you feel good about. As for your C.W. friend, play cards that hurt counter magic like discard or uncounterable spells.

~Mark

ps-I hope you like long games :D

M

Mikeymike

I don't know KJ, I don't see a problem with teaching a friend a lessen.

Drop Stormseeker (and your green mana sources) for Sudden Impact.

I'd suggest maybe 1 Hammer or 1 Shard Phoenix as a back-up kill, but only if the deck as a problem killing with your 6 current kill conditions.

Some secret tech for you, run a single copy (or maybe 2) of Shivan Gorge. The card is rank - but it's perfect in here for multiple reasons. It wants to run in an instant heavy deck that holds onto its mana, and it's an embarrassing (and slow) way to lose a game.

T

train

i have to agree with the lesson idea - but only to let them know how it feels, and then return to your fun decks...

The gorge is a crummy way to lose...

I usually ran them in my Sneaky decks, in case sneaky was gotten rid of...:rolleyes: :( :cool:

R

Reverend Love

Mikeymike

Drop Stormseeker (and your green mana sources) for Sudden Impact
Thank YOU! This is an excellent replacement for Storm Seeker.

I think I'll pass on the Gorge with this particular deck. I'd hate to draw a Gorge when really needing an answer of some sort.

Perhaps I should clear up something about my friend. We're both pretty brutal when playing one another...in any multiplayer game whomever can take the other out first will usually take the whole Cabootil. We've also both been throw'n cards a long time and disdain the use of counterspells as your base response. I'm the blue mage he's the red mage. I make sure not to use FoW, Drain, Misdirection, Undermine or any other powered counters... I'm really cautious about this again because it really rapes the fun out of games. The only time I throw in counters is to:

A: Protect a resource
or
B: Fill a gap in the deck (lack of enchantment/artifact removal)

So for him to sit there and counter all I play is a pretty ****ty thing to do. I plan on showing him how a high priced counter whore does her thing.

R

Rooser

You ain't a counter whore 'til you run 4 FoW AND 4 Misdirection. Tee hee hee.

T

train

Null brooch would have been cute to run against the opponent...