America's Army- Recruiting Scheme or Free Entertainment?

S

Svenmonkey

If you haven't heard of it yet, America's Army is a First Person Shooter game designed and funded by... well... America's Army. It's mostly online, played with squads of other people. It's still basically in its beta stages, but I still frequently play it, and it isn't too buggy.

Has anyone else tried it?

T

train

The people I know enjoy playing it are already in the military...

Maybe it was made for them, and to be used for recruiting...

S

Svenmonkey

Avoid Americas Army at all costs. It has made me addicted, to the point where I play almost constantly. And I swear it has some form of subliminal messaging made to make people stupid, because I'm dying in school. In 3 classes, I have missing or late assignments, and I just got a 47% on a Pre-Calculus test. And today, I thought it was a Day 6 when it was Day 5, and accidentally skipped a class (I thought I had a free) before having someone inform me of the day. I'm lucky because I've had the Pre-Calculus teacher before, and he says he'll move my grade up if I don't screw up any more, and I've had my Christian Morality (teeheehee!) teacher for 3 years now, so I only got one day of private detention for skipping, instead of 7 days of general detention.

I must quit, but it will be extremely hard.

M

MrXarvox

That's their real strategy. Make you fail in school so you have nothing to do with your life except sell yourself to the military...

S

Svenmonkey

Yeah, they need a few extra grunts for the infantry. The reason why they chose gamers for this role is unknown to me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And I swear it has some form of subliminal messaging made to make people stupid, because I'm dying in school.
You know Svenmonkey, that statement kinda opens the door to all sorts of good-natured ribbing, but I won't do that... :D

T

train

What is Private Detention??? and is this in College???:confused:

This post was of the Devil - it was #666

T

train

He goes to a Catholic High School... and my last post here was # 666 how convenient...

I used to be Catholic, believe it or not, a Deacon asked me to leave CCD class because I was questioning a story in the bible and he didn't want it mentioned again in class...

How mighty and powerful the church was, couldn't even defend their own story... Don't even mention the Gospel of St. Thomas to them, they deny it all together...:mad:

S

Svenmonkey

Hey, man, nowhere in "Catholic High School" does it say "Svenmonkey is so a Catholic!" I am in no way Catholic or any denomination of Christian. In fact, I have no religion at all.

Catholics and Fundies all the same, they all believe a book of mythology (Old Testament) and a book based on that mythology that was written by a cult (New Testament). It makes not the sense.

Edit: Oh yeah, those "holy" book writers really do know how to name things, huh? Yep, they name their god God, they name the old part of their holy book the Old Testament, and, guess what? The newer part is called the New Testament!

T

train

me?? I never said you were Catholic... I was talking about them in general...

S

Svenmonkey

What's this Gospel of St. Thomas thing, anyway? I need some more hypocritical Bible poop to throw back at my teachers.

T

train

There's plenty of info on the web about it...

It is basically Jesus' words to his disciples telling them that the church is not in a building, it is in individuals, and that people do not need physical churches to be able to live, communicate, and worship God...

try here for a brief on the gospel...

The Vatican refuses to admit it as one of the gospels because it would destroy the church...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Svenmonkey: I suspect you probably need to find someone else more willing to talk about religion, if you're getting the "runaround" in your particular area. Each individual is different and you can probably find others who are more open.

But to address your previous post, I am pretty sure the Old Testament writers would have used "Yahweh" or something similiar in the original writings and language, not "God" (although it basically means the same thing). And the "Old" and "New" Testaments were only designated that way once the New Testament came into being (kinda like how WWI was referred to as the "Great War" before WWII).

train:
How mighty and powerful the church was, couldn't even defend their own story... Don't even mention the Gospel of St. Thomas to them, they deny it all together
Your link actually refutes this itself

No, the Catholic Church is quite happy to have the Gospel of Thomas read and considered in light of scholarly investigations of the origins and early history of Christianity. It is not going to add Thomas to the Bible or use Thomas in churches, but if people want to read it the Catholic Church will do, and has done, nothing to stop them.
Again, you'd have to find someone more scholarly and religious based to find out their reasoning behind not adding it to the New Testament, unless you know yourself from a reasonable source.

T

train

The reason the Church is happy to have it read is because it is another story to verify some of the stories already in the bible...

However - as you noted - the church will not add it to their own studies nor will they have it used during services...

Let me put it this way - When Vincent(a close friend to my brother) died 3 years ago, the priest-father, refused to read the gospel as requested by the family. He told them that since it was not in the bible, he was not allowed to use it during the services. They were just a little upset(sarcasm intended), as he died during gang-related activities and the family wanted to express the possibilities of this gospel to other youngsters...

The only acknowledgement I get from the church on this gospel is that it agrees with Acts 7:48, it also exemplifies some of the in-depth teachings that the disciples left out of their books, some of the teachings they paraphrase ...

The reason it would destroy the church is because people would not need a priest to break bread for them, take their confessions, christen their children, baptize the re-born in faith, bless their home or being, and teach them what they need to know from a service...

Have you ever attended a Catholic service, if not let me fill you in...
It is a programmed service, with pre-determined readings(set for centuries to come). If you look in the back of some bibles it will tell you what gospel will be read and on which date, along with the stories to go with the theme for that week... You read the gospel the same time every week, break bread the same time every week, stand, kneel, and sit the same time every week, pray the same prayer every week...

Fact is, the reason the church is so strong is because masses like set guidelines... They get programmed at an early age and feel comfortable enough with it that they remain droids for life...

Something as simple as telling a person they don't need a priest to confess to cracks the foundation of the Catholic hierarchy... Thus they take the good from the gospel of Saint Thomas and tie it in to the bible, but they don't hand it to you to read, they don't discuss it with you, they simply tell you you can find a copy of it somewhere and read it... and when you ask questions you get asked to leave...

M

MrXarvox

I have a feeling this should soon be moved to political discussions...

Tis true what train says, and Sven would agree, given we were both raised in a Catholic home.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's the beauty of having the Protestant faith. Obviously there was already a "break" in the catholic church (note the smaller case) and people have different feelings about how to go about worship.

You just do what you feel is best for you.