A word to card games magic buffs hate

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

I know that you guys normally don't accept stuff over, for example, pokemon, but I'd like to let you in on a little secret-me and most of my pals started playing magic to find a more mature card game when we started getting picked on for playing yu-gi-oh or pokemon. And I know, many people think that yugioh and pokemon and Deul Masters suck, but, I've played all of those games, and I like them a lot.
I don't know where this hate comes from, honestly. Sure, these card games may take away from magic's potential audience, but what the heck! Most of the kids who play pokemon or yugioh are too young to be able to understand the beauty that is the stack or why he can't save his doran the siege tower from Merfolk Thaumaturgist with his own Thaumaturgist. So who cares, they aren't ready either way, so there's no loss. And when they start out playing CCGs and TCGs early, they start to get grips with what it means.
I started out with Pokemon, then graduated to magic as I found out that my best friends didn't play it. Several of my other friends started the same way.
I don't know what everyone has against these 'child's CCGs' but I loved them, and they're for card games like what Smoking is to Drugs: the perfect way to get introduced.
That said, I'm packing out the crystal beasts and the First Edition Base Set Charizard that I have laying around... Wait a minute. How much did you say that was worth? 120 DOLLARS?!?!?!?!???????
You guys get the point. Even if they are inferior, they are a necessary evil.
If you have a different opinion, tell me about it, cause I don't not know nuttin.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone here seriously minds those games.

I view them as "introductory", as you say, to get people used to card games and later Magic.

B

Budget Player Cadet

I love this place. I know people who HATE(!!!) yugioh and Pokemon. if they see cards lying around, they rip them up (even cards like that charizard I mentioned earlier. A few years ago, he was worth over 100$! Not sure now). You guys are so... laidback... and...... chilled.............

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm not a fan of Pokemon at all, but YGO is another story. It's simple, yet you can make complicated strategies with it. It's surprisingly fun.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

My boys wanted to try Pokeman... It wasn't for me - or them really...

The only other CCG I tried was the Harry Potter Game... I liked it... it's a lot like Magic though than the others you mentioned. (It has limited resources to play cards)

Now my 10 and 13 year old play MtG, so I don't have to worry about the other ccgs.

I bought SW cards (and the other SW game Young Jedi?), but it was for collecting as a SW buff rather than playing. I never figured out how to play 'em. Bought 1 starter of the ST Game too for the same reason, but never played it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I played Pokemon with my wife for a while - it was a lot easier for her to learn :)

I also tried a bunch of the CCGs way back in the mid-90's when everyone was jumping on the CCG bandwagon - Illuminati, Alone in the Dark? Dragon-something - but they never really caught my attention and took money away from Magic :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I think I've played or demo'd most CCG's.
Pokemon is a fine game, but it is limited in it's game play, I have cards from the very beginning of that game.
YGO - is a very tough game to play since most of the cards are errata'd. I know, since I run these tourneys. The game basics are easy, but cards are printed that screw things up, then they change them and even reprint rare cards as commons in later sets.... kind of kills the collectablity of the game.

Stargate CCG is a very well designed game and enjoyable to play, but not promoted very well....

WoW is a very good game, but deck construction is very difficult, due to faction and tribe rules. I still like the game but getting new players is difficult.

I've played SW, Star Trek, X-Files, Scoobie-Doo, DargonStorm, Wyveryn, Middle Earth, Legend of the 5 rings, MLB, Xena, Hercules, Duelmaster, SimCity.......

But, Magic is the best of them so far......

B

Budget Player Cadet

Mooseman said:
YGO - is a very tough game to play since most of the cards are errata'd. I know, since I run these tourneys. The game basics are easy, but cards are printed that screw things up, then they change them and even reprint rare cards as commons in later sets.... kind of kills the collectablity of the game.

But, Magic is the best of them so far......
Well, about the yugioh comment, I gotta say, it really chapped my rear. I mean, I gave out a buttload to get my hands on three sapphire pegasus, and then its worth is killed because it's rare in a mini-set, and in a damn tin box! It pissed me off! The same thing happened with enemy controller, premature burial, call to the grave, and magic cylinder. And the Soul Exchange issue? Don't get me started on that one!!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Wyvern! That was the dragon CCG... :)
Yeah, I still got those cards. Heck, if I look I'm sure there are more, Harry Potter, some kind of civilization game, that anime show.... something GT?
Spoils, Beans, Fat Guys by the Pool (I have a friend that made this one), Cyberpunk..... wow can't believe I remember all these......

B

Budget Player Cadet

Wyvern? Are those cards worth anything?
I once had the chance to inherit a gigantic box of really old ones, I turned it down because it wasn't magic and advised the guy to go to Ebay.
Did I just throw away hundreds of dollars?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
TomB: Nope, I think I have a deck or two of those.... ugh...

Wyveryn cards (on ebay now: 4 boxes for about $35).

B

Budget Player Cadet

Well, if it's from northern maine, It's the guy whose cards I turned down.

E

EricBess

I have a few I'm guessing no one here has even heard of. Of course, this is an international audience, so maybe someone out there in Italy knows about Monster Alergy TCG (too bad the TV show didn't catch on because I like the game). Anyone here heard of Kiba? Didn't think so.

Some of the oldies, but goodies - Magi Nation, Shadowfist...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh...Shadowfist! I got a bunch of them too...That game was pretty cool. Main problem with the game was that once you fell behind you tended to STAY behind...:)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ha, I think I have a demo deck of that stuff..... never did learn how to play it.

How about that WCW wrestling CCG...Nitro or something like that.

D

DarthFerret

Card Games I have at least played:

M:TG
Highlander
Rage: The apocolypse
Legend of the 5 Rings
Illuminati
Yu-Gi-Oh
Star Wars TCG
Star Trek TNG TCG
Jyhad (both the old and the re"vamped" versions)
and The Wheel Of Time Trading Card Game (did you even know it existed?)

The reason that Magic is pretty much the only one I stick with (Although really enjoyed Rage), is because if its complexity, and its self-evolution. True it was the first one I had ever picked up and learned, and has defined CCG games in my mind.

I agree with the assesment that Yu-Gi-Oh is a "introductory game". This is mainly due to the fact that a friend of mine was playing it, refused to learn Magic, and insisted that I learn to play. In one afternoon he taught me to play, I went through his cards, and built a deck that completely Annihilated him. (I think it irritated him when that happened) I pretty much built a fetch deck that allowed me to play 8-10 cards in a single turn (hand size is 5 if you have never played before). I based this off of one of my blue decks. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that if I can not only learn the whole thing in an afternoon, but in the same amount of time build a deck that obliterates my opponent who has 1 yr of experience in the game, it is not worth my time. But then, that is just me.