M

Mundungu

It seems that Pandaburst or 21 are the "hot decks" of the 2000 extended season.

It revolves around pandemonium and saproling burst.
With pandemonium in play, just create the tokens from the burst and you get 6+5+4+3+2+1 = 21 damage. Normally enough to kill you opponent.

Here is my variant, based on oath of druids / academy rector.

//NAME: Untitled Deck
2 Gaea's Blessing
4 Grim Monolith
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Mox Diamond
4 Oath of Druids
4 Academy Rector
4 Ashnod's Altar
4 Saproling Burst
4 Pandemonium
// lands
1 Brushland
1 Karplusan Forest
4 High Market (to sack the rector)
4 Savannah
4 Taiga
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Gemstone Mine
4 City of Brass

I didnt play it against an opponent yet but I have a regular turn 4 win when I "goldfish"

It can go like this(optimal draw) :
first turn : market + Mox, oath of druids
second turn : bring in the rector with the oath and do whatever else you want
EOT opp turn : sack the rector to bring in pandemonium
3d turn : bring in a new rector sack it to bring the burst and you have your 3d turn win.

Any comments ?
Is a regular turn 4 win quick enough in extended now that TRIX is gone ?

G

Gizmo

I would imagine that the biggest impact of banning Dark Ritual would be to make Draw-Go THE deck to play. It was pretty much the best deck last time around, so long as you know how to play it, and all the other fast decks have lost DRitual.

IMHO Draw-Go is the best deck, and it would murder this.

M

Mundungu

thanx for the input about the metagame.

I also thought that blue might be the worst match up however I was hoping to make it quick enough to force the oath in play.
once the oath and 1 way to sack the rector are in place then the combo can go off (high market cant be countered).

Even draw-go plays at least 1 creature right ?

M

Mikeymike

Include City of Solitude from Visions 1 copy maindeck. It hurts red burn too, although you'll probably never play a burn deck. If the City gets out, blue has very few ways of getting around it for the 1 or 2 turns it buys you.

A lot of versions run replenish also. I personally hate replenish b/c its so unbalanced BUT it can't be overlooked.

G

Gizmo

"Even Draw-Go plays at least one creature, right?"

Might have some Conclaves, but they will certainly have Disk or Capsize.

Is the Monolith necessary? I would imagine that if the loss of Vault and DR has got decks like this using the Monolith then it probably means that they aren`t viable any more.

M

Mundungu

the monolith were here to help hard cast either the enchantments or the rector due to the fact that rector is 3W, pandemonium 3R and burst 4G.

They could be taken out for some "hate" after SB.

lets just imagine T2 or T3.
A rector is in play with only 2 lands.
The monlith can be used to play the Altar (would be better in the deck if it had cc2 !) that is necessary to sack the rector.

On the other hand, the altar can be used to sack the rector, put burts in play, use the 2 to play monolith, tap monolith an a red mana source to play pandemonium ...

Well maybe monolith is suboptimal ... I'll think about / around it.

What I like is the possibility to sack the rector at the end of the opp turn and oath for a new one during your upkeep, sack it anew and win ... good surprise !

Maybe the number of pande and burst can be reduced to 3 in order to bring in more control.

taking the monolith and those 2 cards out leaves 6 slots ..
what could we do with those ??

Gizmo do you think it is worth the effort to look into that direction ?

G

Gizmo

That would be my choice - the Monolith is only adding one to your available mana on the turn you play it, so you basically are going to forfeit your second turn in order to get it into play. In XT the Monolith simply doesn`t cut the mustard.
I would go with added disruption, but I have to say that my initial reaction remains that this is not the deck to beat, I might be being harsh on it, and no doubt creature-based decks will get very upset (I was the inventor of the Oath/Anarchist/Replenish engine so I know all about turn 2 kills vs creature decks), but I think there will be better combos (slower, but easier to get together) than this and the field will be warped around Draw-Go and whatever beats Draw-Go snotless.

A

Apollo

Draw-go will just activate some sort of man-land (Conclave or Stalking Stones) to kill you long after they have Disked or Capsized your Oath away.

Actually, I'd lose the Rectors and Altars and go with the Oath/Anarchist/Replenish engine that Gizmo mentioned (you invented that, Gizmo? Cool). Have just the one Anarchist as your only creature and Oath most of your deck into the graveyard, bringing back a Replenish. Then Replenish and bring back the two enchantments.

But that's if you go with Oaths at all. I've seen versions that just use Frantic Search/Attunement/Intuition to get the enchantments into the grave for Replenish, and they claim that's the most efficient way to do it. I've never tested it, though.

But no matter what you do, Draw-Go is gonna be a huge problem.

Apollo