More FUN with Foils!

T

theorgg

I saw the most amazing island I have ever seen today, as a matter of fact, I saw fifteen or so of them.

It had a shinyish background, like the front of one of those Harry Potter "foil" Wizard cards, with the holographic picture that is nearly impossible to see details in. At the bottom of it, it had a single blue mana symbol. Just the blue mana symbol sitting there, with Nothing around it but the "premium" foil.

I asked him how he got it, as I almost KNEW it couldn't be an actual card.

Rubbing Alcohol and a Q-tip, with patience around the blue mana symbol... and a foil island.

This seems to be the ULTIMATE way to personalize your lands as I recommend, and any foil lands you have(IF CAREFUL) can be treated to be the exact same...

I love the idea, and am going to try it.

This is better than being able to use Foils as stickers!!!!!

H

Hetemti

Yeah, this came across MTGNews awhile back. I hear acetone works faster.

J

Jigglypuff

Wait I don't understand,

What did the island look like? What's this about putting rubbing alcohol on foil cards?

(- Steve -)

H

Hetemti

The solvent will dissolve the ink printed upon the foil, thereby allowing you to remove text at will.

J

Jigglypuff

I couldn't get it to work. Are you supposed to let the alcohol sit on the card or do you rub it into the card?

(- Steve -)

J

Jigglypuff

Forgive my ignorance, but what is acetone? It sounds like something that would be illegal for me to have in the dorms.

(- Steve -)

H

Hetemti

Just go to the neighboring girl's floor. Acetone is used in nail polish remover.

J

Jigglypuff

Ok! Hey that sounds like the same stuff I had to use when I Krazy Glued my hand to my knee...

(- Steve -)

A

arhar

Originally posted by Jigglypuff
Ok! Hey that sounds like the same stuff I had to use when I Krazy Glued my hand to my knee...

(- Steve -)
Hahaha, did you Krazy Glue yourselt to .... um.. yourself?
:D :D :D

On-topic: Orgg, can you post a picture of what it looks like, cause I have no idea what are you talking about :)

M

Major Crime

The cheaper Nail vanish removers are about 80% acetone. If the fluid spells of pear-drops it is the better stuff, which I think if Acetate, sorry I'm trying to remember my high school chemistry here.

The thinners for liquid paper, will work much better, but may work to well?! Try it on a damaged foil card first.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I've seen these lands, too.

Imagine a card that is all foil, top to bottom, side to side . Now, add the mana symbol of your choice.

Voila! Now you know what these cards look like, and yes, they are very cool!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Jigglypuff

(- Steve -)
It's American Pie 2 come to life! (almost... :p )

G

Gizmo

Just how much of my life can I expect this to waste?

If its not too long, I`m up for it - Ive got a reputation for customised cards.

T

theorgg

Well, I tried it. It does take a LOT of rubbing if you're using alcohol... an hour to get a little streak of the swamp off...

However, I remember using Fingernail Polish remover to "de-proxy" "bad" cards that were used as proxies that became good(Donate and Illusions of Grandeur) and trading them away, so I tried that...

It works... If you get a cotton ball or four, a Q-tip, about a tablespoon or so of the remover, and some duct tape tapped over the mana symbol, it shouldn't take too long.

Tape the tape over the symbol, first of all. This will make it less likely you get a foiled _________ and unusable card. Use the cotton ball soaked in the remover to rub off the picture, expantion symbol, and artist's credit. Then, when that's gone, get the Q-tip and quickly rub over the text of the name and type, as these must be visible and readable to have the card considered DCI Legal. Then, any spots that still have stuff on them(except the black boarder, it looks, to use popular slang, Tight as hell sorrounding the shinyness!) use the Q-tip to neaten them up.

Let the remover dry a minute or two, then remove the Duct Tape and get the Q-tip to GENTLY and Cautiosly etch out the mana symbol some more, but be careful not to get it on it, as it will dissolve the symbol, and that would just suck.

With practice and an even hand, you could probably do this in ten minutes or less-- but do it in a well-ventilated area, or a place with a fan like a bathroom.

I'd like to have seen these on ESPN ][][!

:[ )

T

theorgg

Ah yes-- for the darker stuff(the lines around the cards and the black boarder) you have to scrub a bit to get off... I'd personally leave the black boarder, as it gives the card demention.

Ahar-- try it with a foil you fished out of the garbage a NG-NY. I'm sure there's somthing that's in there you can try it with... they also sell remover in tiny little bottles that you can get pretty cheap, about $4 a thing(and it should allfoil about thirty or more lands before it runs out)

M

mogg bomber

Acetone: CH3COCH3

A colorless liquid at room temperature,it is found in nail polish remover commonly. Acetone is often used in organic chemistry labs to clean glassware, because it's non polar nature means it will dissolve almost any organic compound. It is cheap, easy to get, and highly flammable(as are most organic compounds).

Sorry about that,I kind of got carried away. I'm just doing my part as a chemist. :D

Anyway, this sounds interesting, I've never seen(or even heard about) any foils that have been changed that way before...

H

Hetemti

I've a bunch of expendable foils, but no acetone handy...anyone have some webspace and a scanner to show of their 1337 ph01lz???/

D

Dead

Acetone is known as Propanone using IUPAC naming conventions.

Also, Cutting-Edge-Cards had this oddity turn up whilst opening vast amounts of torment boosters- a foil card that seems to be missing the actual card and so is just foil with a magic back. SO if the method described works and you scrubbed a card completely clean, you'd get that.