Happy Valentine's Day.....

A

Almindhra

May you get some, like I'm going to get some tonite.......

Yummy!.......

A

arhar

Happy Valentine's Day to the certain special person, love of my life, who I care most about in the whole world - myself!!!!!

D

DÛke

Mr.X:

Happy Hallmark-Fabricated Stupid, Stupid holiday!
Amen! <laughs some more>

Many couples were kissing and hugging all day long. Some even skipped some classes here at the University. So what, now a holiday is in order for a couple to kiss!? My girlfriend's gift is: me...and that's one long lasting, priceless gift! My gift from her is: herself...and that's the finest gift I could ever even dream of. The rest is history...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on the public's (where one might be) view of PDA, perhaps Valentine's Day makes it more "acceptable", at least for a day.

N

Neo_Keo

Originally posted by MrXarvox
Happy Hallmark-Fabricated Stupid, Stupid holiday!

:rolleyes:

I'm agreeing on this one celebrated holiday. Its the worst time of the year. I'll jsut have to console myself with the chocaltes my Dad bought for my mom. I don't think she'll mind

M

MrXarvox

Bitter, you say?

Nah. Me gel an' me is like dis <crosses fingers>. We dunna need an holidee, spesh'ly wun det's so fregin' commercial, wut wit der profusion o' pink, wut be der ugliest colur dere is!

Stupid, stupid Valentine's day.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

T

theorgg

To reply to the top post,a nd to quote THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS:

I could really make hot love tonight; but what's the real point in it, when you're all alone?

D

Darkstar

Valentines Day just gives me another reason to fuel my hatred for gimmick holiday mascots.

Up yours Cupid!

Friggen mascots.

P

ponderingz

I dunno... I mean...I'm all for lovin' by myself... ;) besides, theorgg, why didn't you tell me you were lonely? Heh.

Darkstar definately put it best....

Originally posted by Darkstar
Valentines Day just gives me another reason to fuel my hatred for gimmick holiday mascots.

Up yours Cupid!

Friggen mascots.
:cool:

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
Depending on the public's (where one might be) view of PDA, perhaps Valentine's Day makes it more "acceptable", at least for a day.
I'm not sure that Valentine's Day changes the public's view on Personal Digital Assistants.

;)

Z

Zadok001

Ed, you may or may not need a life. :) (Sorry.)

However, I will add that I happen to loathe this holiday in ways far beyond imagination. It never really made sense to me that one day every year was set aside for everyone to celebrate their relationships. Boo, hiss. Just gimme the cookies and let me go back to sleep.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Sweetest Day is the "Happy Hallmark-Fabricated Stupid, Stupid holiday!" Valentines Day has been around a bit longer, methinks...

I don't really mind a day that makes it a good idea for me to buy my wife flowers...;)

B

Bob

Bah. Love isn't real. It was created by Hallmark to force you to buy cards on Valentines Day. I find love sickening and I in no way support it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
At first I thought you guys were kidding, but when everyone keeps repeating it...

Do you honestly believe it's a Hallmark holiday? 'Cause it was around way before Hallmark.

And following the reasoning of why people need a "special day" to celebrate love, why do we need a special day to celebrate parents? To give thanks?

Ed: I don't know, I've seen people get enraged over others whipping out their PDA's to type in appointments or addresses... :p

D

DÛke

...Valentine's Day is something more "real." It's actually religious. When I took my world-religions class, we kinda spend 10 or so minutes talking about the origins of Valentine's Day. It's not a Hallmark holiday. It's just some stupid story...something that goes along the lines of Cupid being the son of a Greek Goddess or something...so Cupid is a prince or even a "god" or something. I'm not sure how to tie it with religion, because as soon as the professor started talking about Valentine's Day, I just...decided to slip into something more comfortable...

...like a comma...:)

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by DÛke
I'm not sure how to tie it with religion
The Feast of Lubercus
The first interpretation has this celebration originating as a pagan tradition in the third century. During this time hordes of hungry wolves roamed outside of Rome where shepherds kept their flocks. The God Lupercus, was said to watch over the shepherds and their flocks and keep them from the wolves. Every February the Romans celebrated a feast called Lupercalia to honor Lupercus so that no harm would come to the shepherds and their flocks. Also during Lupercalia, but in honor of the goddess Juno Februata, the names of young women were put into a box and names were drawn by lot. The boys and girls who were matched would be considered partners for the year, which began in March. This celebration continued long after wolves were a problem to Rome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Valentine's Day
As Christianity became prevalent, priests attempted to replace old heathen practices. To Christianize the ancient pagan celebration of the Feast of Lubercus, the church officials changed the name to St. Valentine's Day. To give the celebration further meaning and eliminate pagan traditions, priests substituted the drawing of Saints names for the names of the girls. On St. Valentine's Day the priest placed saint's names into an urn or box. The young people then drew a name from the container. In the following year, the youth was supposed to emulate the life of the saint whose name he had drawn.

By the fourteenth century they reverted back to the use of girl's names. In the sixteenth century they once again tried to have saintly valentines but it was as unsuccessful as the first attempt.

While it can't be proved historically, there were seven men named Valentine who were honored with feasts on February 14th. Of these men, two stories link incidents that could have given our present day meaning to St. Valentine's Day.

One of these men named Valentine was a priest during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Valentine was revered by the young and old, rich and poor, with people of all walks of life attending his services. At this time Emperor Claudius was heavily recruiting men to serve as soldiers for his wars without much success. The men preferred not to leave their wives, families and sweethearts to fight in foreign lands. Claudius became angry and declared that no more marriages could be performed and all engagements were cancelled.

Valentine thought this to be unfair and secretly married several couples. When Claudius found out, he threw Valentine in prison where he died. Friends of the priest retrieved his body and buried it in a churchyard in Rome.

Another version had St. Valentine jailed for helping Christians. While Valentine was in prison he cured a jailer's daughter of blindness. Claudius became enraged and had Valentine clubbed and beheaded on February 14, 269 A.D.

Yet another story claims that Valentine fell in love with the jailer's daughter and wrote her letters that were signed "From your Valentine."

All of the seven Valentines eventually evolved into one. In 496 Pope Gelasius declared the day in honor of St. Valentine. Through the centuries the Christian holiday became a time to exchange love messages and St. Valentine became the patron saint of lovers. Lovers' quarrels come under his jurisdiction and, naturally, he is the patron saint of engaged couples and of anyone wishing to marry.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by DÛke
[BIt's just some stupid story...something that goes along the lines of Cupid being the son of a Greek Goddess or something...so Cupid is a prince or even a "god" or something.
...like a comma...:) [/B]
That would be Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of beauty (or Venus, the Roman version).