@Home bankruptcy; i might vanish

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey all. You might have heard that @Home has filed for bankruptcy. That's my provider, so I might vanish unexpectly. (I suppose some of you might too.)

Just wanted to let you know not to worry, and I'll try to be back as soon as I can, if anything does happen.

A

arhar

Wow, you scared me there for a moment... I thought there was a bankrupcy at YOUR home :eek:

C

Chaos Turtle

Oh my god.
Now that would be funny.

Out of money; take me instead!

Nope, things aren't that serious...yet.

I

Insane_Penguin

I use the same. I might be gone too.... (not that anyone cares:))

U

Ura

Turtle, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your provider is actually whatever comes before the @ symbol on @home. For instance I was on shaw@home, but with this bankruptcy shaw has moved into their own network as most other major providers that were using the @home network were doing.
If you're really worried about it just called up whoever it is you pay the bill to and ask what their going to do to maintain service.
Oddly though losing the @home network was a good thing for me. When shaw set up their own network I got a huge boost in bandwidth. Now whenever I benchmark my net connection its always saying I'm pulling down more speed then a T2 line.

C

Chaos Turtle

Right. Well, Mediacom is the local provider, but they haven't switched yet. They simply warned us subscribers that there could be a shutdown or service interruptions this week, but that they are trying to arrange for a new service to repplace @Home. They will keep us updated.

And that's life. :rolleyes:

Er, I mean: :D

Z

Zadok001

Whoops. That might explain my parent's sudden vanishing act from the online community. :) Good luck, CT! I doubt it'll keep you off long, but hopefully not at all.

And for the record, I interpretted the subject line the same way arhar did. :)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I use the same thing mines Comcast@home, I'm not worried though.

A

Apollo

I interpreted it the same way.:) Glad to know you're not broke!

C

Chaos Turtle

Who says I'm not broke? :( Well, my car is, so I am too... Down but not out, as they say. ;)

G

Gerode

@Home is back up!
I maintained most of my sanity without my internet for TWO DAYS!!

*Gerode throws a parade*

T

terzarima

Hey Ct, wasn't it the @home/excite e-mail provider that filed bankruptcy and nothing else?

C

Chaos Turtle

According to the news I read, it was the Excite@Home cable internet provider. Excite@Home partners with a number of companies -- Mediacom, Charter, etc -- who act as carriers for the service (because they own the cable lines) which is where we get Charter@Home, Mediacom@Home and so on.

Excite@Home is trying to renegotiate contracts as part of the bankruptcy proceedings, and it claims it will have to shut down its service if the cable companies (also known as bloodsucking leeches) refuse to renegotiate.

Currenty, the cable companies get as much as 60% of the money subscribers pay for service (as much as 80% in Canada) and Excite@Home is feeling a lot like a rookie boxer in one of Don King's (also known as bloosucking leech king) promotions. That is, like a sucker. (Or suckee, maybe.)

Hopefully the cable companies will come to their senses and realize that the backlash from furious customers will outweigh the money that they stand to lose if they negotiate more sensible contracts with Excite@Home.

In the meantime, it ain't over yet... so we @Home customers might be unexpectedly incommunicato at any time until the issue is resolved.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, wasn't something like people pay $12/mo and they're trying to say it's worth at least $30/mo?

I'm still on good 'ol dial-up (from home, where this stuff matters)... :rolleyes:

:)

T

terzarima

I beleive I pay (I being my father) more... but that's cause I'm canadian... something like 50 or so.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Dear Comcast @Home Customer:

I am pleased to announce that Comcast has reached an agreement with Excite@Home, pending approval from the Bankruptcy Court, that provides you with uninterrupted high-speed Internet service. Comcast's first priority is to provide you with reliable and high-quality service. This agreement also will ensure a smooth transition from your current service to an improved, all-Comcast managed Internet service in the weeks ahead.

Comcast High-Speed Internet will provide you with the high-speed, always-on connection you've come to enjoy. This new Comcast service also will offer improved reliability, customer support and features, such as "e-mail from anywhere" with web-based e-mail and an innovative storage solution for MP3s and photos.

We will provide you with notification and instructions on how to convert your account to Comcast High-Speed Internet before we introduce service in your area. In addition, Comcast will continue to provide you with regular updates on our toll-free hotline at 1-888-433-6963 and on our website at http://www.comcastonline.com/info.htm.

Having this agreement in place is an important piece to ensuring a smooth transition to Comcast High-Speed Internet. We appreciate your loyalty as a customer and apologize for any inconvenience you have been caused in the last week. We will continue to aggressively strive to provide you the best high-speed Internet service and support possible. Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

David Juliano
Senior Vice President, Comcast Online Communications

I suppose there won't be any more problems then.

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm still waiting on one of those letters. I hope MediaCom has the wherewithal to convert its customers over during the next few months.

E

ErinPuff

I use that service too, and I was pretty scared last week when I found out about the bankruptcy.. but then we got that letter that says we'll keep having our nice fat cable modem service, so I won't be disappearing.