Decent, Non-Pricey Rares for 5-Color - Artifact

D

Dune Echo

I am looking for a list of decent, cheaper rares for 5-Color that new players might have and could use without too much worry of anteing them. I'm looking for ideas from the new Fivers out there as well as stuff that people can think of. The newest sets might be the best place to start looking, starting with artifacts...

Legacy Weapon, 7, Legendary Artifact, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. John Avon
WUBRG: Remove target permanent from the game. If Legacy Weapon would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Legacy Weapon and shuffle it into its owner’s library instead.
If you can pull this off, you are going to most likely really hurt your opponent with it. Expensive and hard to activate though. But 5-Color is all about having lots of land in play...

Mask of Intolerance, 2, Artifact, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. Glen Angus
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, if there are four or more basic land types among lands that player controls, Mask of Intolerance deals 3 damage to him or her.
Can be techy against someone with 40 dual lands... Sure beats Sleeper Agent! Price of Progress is still better though.

Meekstone, 1, Artifact, 7th Edition Rare, Illus. David Martin
Creatures with power 3 or greater don’t untap during their controllers’ untap steps.
The bigger they are, the stronger its pull.
This can be good against people that like to play Masticores and Multani, Maro-Sorcerers. Better plan in advance for it.

Skyship Weatherlight, 4, Legendary Artifact, Planeshift Rare, Illus. Mark Tedin
When Skyship Weatherlight comes into play, search your library for any number of artifact and/or creature cards and remove them from the game. Then shuffle your library. 4, T: Choose a card at random that was removed from the game with Skyship Weatherlight. Put that card into your hand.
This card isn't great, but it's a Jayemdae Tutor.

Tek, 5, Artifact Creature — Dragon 2/2, Invasion Rare, Illus. Chippy
Tek gets +0/+2 as long as you control a plains, has flying as long as you control an island, gets +2/+0 as long as you control a swamp, has first strike as long as you control a mountain, and has trample as long as you control a forest.
This one is questionable, as most of the 'volvers are just plainly more efficient and still almost as equally castable. Also, you have to be playing a domain deck or dual lands to work with it most effectively. However, if you have a Swamp and another basic land, it's really no worse than Soldevi Steam Engine.

H

Hetemti

Legacy Weapon is playable, but not spectacular. The trick is the fact that multiples keep bouncing back into the library

Yep, Price of Progess and even Back to Basics are better.

Meekstone doesn't stop Sir `Core from pingin, and Multani will simply hit you once, and fatally so. You can't Ice him down, and Brink of Madness (right) will undo the Stone.
And don't quote 7th. 7th quotes suck, and the art's even worse.

Weatherlight doesn't grab the superpowers, sorceries and enchantments. Playable, but not enough.

Tek is poopy. Why not just drop a Thran Golem and dress him up with something like Zephids/Serra's Embrace or the like?

D

Dune Echo

I did purposefully throw in some bad ones to see if anyone would disagree with me.

Istanbul: There is a guide on the front page by CHA1N5, I'll find the link for you in a while.

Meekstone can really hurt a 3-2-1 Contract style deck though. I don't think Brink of Madness stops it either:

Brink of Madness
2BB, Enchantment, Urza’s Legacy Rare
During your upkeep, if you have no cards in hand, sacrifice Brink of Madness and target opponent discards his or her hand.
“The fools thought me dead. But I built an empire inside my tomb.”
—Kerrick, sleeper agent
Illus. Donato Giancola
Any other ideas? Thran Golem would be fun to through any enchantment on, including Unstable Mutation.

M

Mikeymike

Isty, visit www.5-color.com for the full scoop on the format.
-----
Since everyone is talking about artifacts I'll stick to them.

I think Eye of Yawgmoth is tech in 5. But then again what do I know.

Grinning Totem IS tech in 5.

Caltrops could be effective depending on the type of deck you build.

Emblazoned Golem should be good

I like Thran Forge too due to its versatility. Its pumps creatures, makes creatures colorless, and combos with Shattering Pulse for utter zaniness.

Copperleaf Angel if you are playing mass Land destruction (Geddon, Wildfires, etc.)

Cursed Totem, again it depends on your deck but it would be a problem for a lot of people.

I still like Erratic Portal in 5 with its ability to recur all the 187s that you are playing (and do all sorts of nifty combat tricks). Plus they are dirt cheap on ebay.

Draco could be good, but he's definitely a late gamer.

Rishadan Pawnshop

The Skyship is slow, but the ability to grab the 1 Multani in your deck or Nevy's Disk can't be all bad. I'm not crazy about it, but it is a very dangerous card in this format. There should be plenty of great bullets you can grab with this.

Just some ideas...

H

Hetemti

Noöne mentioned my favorite craprare: Bone Mask. Makes use of all those extra cards in your deck.

D

Dune Echo

Eye of Yawgmoth - Can be good. It is an alternate version of Jalum Tome.

Grinning Totem - "This card IS tech." YES! IT IS! What is good for your opponent is good for you too (Contact from Below anyone?).

Caltrops - Good anti-beatdown! There is almost too much of this available!

Emblazoned Golem - I think this would just be okay...

Thran Forge - Tricks yes, I still would prefer Ghitu War-Cry.

Copperleaf Angel - Great idea! I want to play this with my 'geddons now.

Cursed Totem - Hrm... Stops regeneration!

Erratic Portal - I play this card in Wicked Madness for that reason.

Draco - I actually considered him. Yes, he's late game for sure. Not sure I'd play him still. Multani has a high P/T most times and is untargettable.

Rishadan Pawnshop - Could be interesting, but I'd rather use bounce effects with 187 creatures.

Skyship - Thank you for your comments! Yes, it's not the best tutor, but it does TUTOR, which is what is killer in 5.

M

Mikeymike

Lets see, a 5 deck consisting of Mass land destruction, Copperleaf Angel, Desolation Angel, Zuran Orb (of course) - its got to be called Angel of Death.

This one nearly builds itself.

C

CHA1N5

or...

Why I'm winning and you're Twiddling your Bone Flute

Dune already knows about Urza's Blueprints... he just didn't want to give away all of the Good Stuff(tm) in advance. Blueprints are pretty good. That, and this:

ridiculous

Icy Manipulator: all-around useful, and you can get you some foil ones, if you feel like stopping the ante with a $3-4 card. See also: Ring of Gix

Powder Keg/Larry's Disk: so, you want to play control with some affordable resets?

Scroll Rack: if you're patient (you are, right?), you can get these guys for $2-3. They are mad search with the multitude of shuffling effects available to you.

CHA1N5