U wanna c my five ???

M

Mundungu

At the demand of Dune Echo ... here's my beginner's five.

It is mostly UG beatdown with White Red and Black support / control. Soem of the cards are here because they were accumulkating dust in the trade binder and I told my self ... hey why not ???

I can surely be made better, I just played goldfish and dont know how it would fare.

Any proposals welcome.

So there it is :
White (31)
4 tithe
4 swords to plowshare
4 seal of cleansing
2 glimmering wards
3 mother of runes
4 savannah lions (I cant resist a 2/1 for W)
3 glorious anthem
1 Land Tax
2 inheritance
1 balance
1 enlightned tutor
1 Opal archangel
1 Academy rector

Blue (32)
3 cetavolver
3 rayne, academy chancelor
1 saprazan heir
1 sand squid
4 Man-O'-war
4 Ophidian
1 aura thief
2 rishadan brigand
3 flying men
3 serendib efreet
3 clone
1 fleeting image
2 cloud elemental
1 mimetic mask

Black (17)
1 Vampiric tutor
1 demonic tutor
1 diabolic intent
1 yawgmoth's will
4 diabolic edict
4 ravenous rats
4 unholy strength
1 Paralyse

Red (20)
4 kird Ape
3 gorilla shaman
3 flametongue Kavu
1 battle mage
1 rakavolver
2 kaervek Torch
4 lightning bolt
4 pyroblast

Green (31)
3 river Boa
3 emperor crocodile
3 sex monkey
4 elvish archer
4 ernahm Djinn
3 albino troll
2 anavolver
2 thornscape battlemage
4 rancor
2 might of oaks
1 crop rotation

Gold (14)
3 wax/wane
4 armadillo cloak
1 aura shards
2 terminate
4 recoil

artefact (7)
2 mox diamond
1 jeweled bird
3 phyrexian lens
1 zuran orb

Land (48spec + 43 basic) Now it gets chaotic !)
1 undiscovered paradise
1 lotus vale
2 school of the unseen
2 pendelhaven
3 savannah
2 coastal tower
4 tundra
1 taiga
3 plateau
3 scabland
3 underground sea
2 volcanic island
2 elfhame palace
2 yavimaya coast
1 salt marsh
1 rith' grove
1 dromar's cavern
1 ??'s?? (BRG lair)
4 Mishra's factory
3 quicksand
1 strip mine
2 wasteland
3 thawing glaciers

6 plains
10 forest
9 Islands
9 swamps
9 Mountain

I might be off 1 or 2 cards since I counted in by hand .... but the bulk is there ...

Z

Zero T Katama

Pretty Cool lookin!

Darigaaz's Caldera is the mystery lair, BTW

D

Dune Echo

Hello all. Mundungu is the first to post his decklist, and man, is this a GREAT start! I'll break this down and go card by card.

I have to say first of all, Mundungu, great card choices. There's only a few questionable ones, but I can see solid decisions here. Cards in italics should be maxed out.

White (31)
1 Academy Rector - See Enlightened Tutor.
1 Balance - This could be amazing or a dead draw for you. If you can pull it off more often than not, leave it in.
1 Enlightened Tutor - This is good and it's going to be even better with some of my suggestions.
2 Glimmering Wards - I think you mean Flickering Ward here, not sure. I will say this, if you mean Flickering, I would say to go really light on creature enchantments unless it's Rancor. Rancor is pretty much the only creature enchantment you should run because of mass removal spells. If you do mean Flickering Ward, I would maximize your Mother of Runes slot and possibly Glorious Anthem.
3 Glorious Anthem - I haven't really seen this one yet in play, so I don't know it true effectiveness. However, it can be good. I know one person that played Crusades in a deck where every creature except a few green were all white or white/something. Did him some good occasionally.
2 Inheritance - Funny that you should include this. It was recently talked about on the mailing list for 5-Color. It's not awesome, but it's not bad either. Let me know how it works out for you. If you want, I'll forward all the discussions on it if you send me your email address.
1 Land Tax - Restricted card drawers are always good.
3 Mother of Runes - Great card choice. You would not believe how many times this card has foiled my attempts to break a stall for my Beatdown Collective deck. Really helps you set up control.
1 Opal Archangel - Hrm¡K This one is tough to gauge. Pros and cons with it. Personally, I'd run something that comes into play already like Masticore and beatdown with it. This isn't something I would count on working for you always. I'll say this, Pernicious Deed is amazing against a deck like yours or mine.
4 Savannah Lions (I can't resist a 2/1 for W) - And you shouldn't! I'm actually looking to replace my Soltari Troopers with these guys. Great card choice.
4 Seal of Cleansing - There are advantages to using this over Dismantling Blow in your particular deck. First of all, you can tutor for it with Academy Rector or Enlightened Tutor, which is good. Also, your deck seems to be a slower beatdown deck. This is a good early drop for you. I would consider however changing this to 1 Seal of Cleansing with 3 Dismantling Blow.
4 Swords to Plowshares - The ultimate creature removal spell. Must have for almost any deck.
4 Tithe - Land search is great and necessary! If you're not playing this, then you really should play Land Grant. Tithe is good because if you're behind on land development, the additional Plateau, Savannah, or Scabland is nice. Looking at what duals you have, I think that Tithe was definitely the better choice.

Your white looks good. A few experimental card choices and those will be changed or kept depending on your metagame and experience.

Blue (32)
1 Aura Thief - Oh, cool. I would love to take away someone's Abundance/Sylvan Library combo! Great idea.
3 Cetavolver - I really don't like this card in your deck mainly because your red is almost a minimized color. I think Necravolver would be better for your deck because you can get the white and green kickers, the 2B would only be slightly difficult for you though. Merfolk Looter might be a good replacement if you want to keep a 1U creature in this slot.
3 Clone - These could be good. Generally, the mind frame of people who play 5 is to play consistency over variability. I just checked Crystal Keep and there's nothing out there that says specifically copying a kickered creature is a bad thing to do though.
2 Coud Elemental - Switch this to Cloud Spirit or Rishadan Airship, trust me. Everyone is playing Lightning Bolts and Incinerates, going from 3 toughness to 1 is not going to make a bit of difference and the extra power will be worth it.
1 Fleeting Image - I don't know about this one, other than I'd rather play Cloud Spirit. Let's see what CHA1N5 has to say...
3 Flying Men - Wow, you have these? This is a one drop and a one drop with evasion. I can't say this is a bad card choice, but I'm not sure if it's a great one for putting pressure on your opponent. Every point helps though.
4 Man-o'-War - Card advantage. A 2/2 creature with CIP Unsummon for 2U. I play it, and it's worth it. Also good if you want to rekicker a creature or screw someone else's Phyrexian Scuta.
1 Mimetic Mask - I think you mean Mask of the Mimic. If so, I was in the same boat as you. An unrestricted tutor in a format where tutors are restricted, has to be some good, right? Honestly, I only was able to pull this trick off once with any degree of success or usefulness. I really suggest you cut this because more often than not, you're not going to want to sac a creature to pay the cost or the time you could play will not be helpful at all (like right before a Rout).
4 Ophidian - Solid card choice. Very good.
3 Rayne, Academy Chancellor - Interesting card advantage. Rout, Wrath of God, and Pernicious Deed might foil your plans though. I think I might recommend Karmic Justice instead. Check with CHA1N5 on that one. Also, Standstill is a killer.
2 Rishadan Brigand - I hate to jump on any band wagon, but I've seen him work too well too many times. Morphling is a beat stick. If you're just looking for a solid flyer, I would play Cloud Spirit or Rishadan Airship instead. It's actually fairly easy to deal with single card sacrifices because of the sheer amount of land you're most likely to play.
1 Sand Squid - I recommend Somnophore (http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/rules/summaries/indexed/rule-cards-S.html#Somnophore) over this. Nice idea though because it removes blockers and big creatures.
1 Saprazan Heir - Standstill. Replace with Standstill. Trust me.
3 Serendib Efreet - Excellent card choice. Just get 4. :)

Blue looks okay, your card choices could be altered a little bit, but then again, it's your card collection and it's what works for you.

Black (17)
1 Demonic Tutor - Good, if you can, always fill black up with the restricted cards. They're restricted for a reason.
4 Diabolic Edict - Solid creature removal. You've hit some of the best ones with your deck.
1 Diabolic Intent - Those Ravenous Rats of yours (or Flying Men perhaps) will be pulling double duty with this card. Good idea.
1 Paralyze - Some people might look at this card and go, "why?" I look at this card and say, "You're a damned annoying little man, aren't you?" :) I have played against a deck with 4 of these. I never, ever draw my enchantment destruction when one of these is in play for some reason. However, if you can, replace it with a Demonic Consultation.
4 Ravenous Rats - Not bad at all. You may want to consider something else though, just to increase pressure on your opponent, such as Fledgling Djinn or Dauthi Horror.
4 Unholy Strength - Extra power helps, it really does. I'm just loath to put it on a fragile creature. I think that I would replace this with Sarcomancy so that you have more one drops if possible. If not, Carnophage always works.
1 Vampiric Tutor - Solid.
1 Yawgmoth's Will - I really need one for my own deck. Solid.

Obviously this is a first 5 deck because of one conspicuously missing card - Contract from Below. Consider this one of the Power 9 for 5-Color and if you get serious about this format, get them ASAP. Every other card drawer in the world looks bad after playing with Contracts.

Red (20)
3 Gorilla Shaman - Solid. Mox Monkeys are good.
3 Flametongue Kavu - Solid. Very good against Wall of Blossoms.
2 Kaervek's Torch - Solid burn.
4 Kird Ape - You may want to exchange this for Skyshroud Elite and then fill the red slots with Incinerates.
4 Lightning Bolt - Solid burn.
1 Rakavolver - I normally would have not recommended this creature, but he's a flying life-gainer. Try him out and let me know what you think.
4 Pyroblast - There are some that swear by this card. At the very least, it's removal and kills Faerie Conclaves.
1 Thunderscape Battlemage - Good card to try out.

Red looks very solid and is well-minimized.

Green (31)
3 Albino Troll - Solid beatdown.
2 Anavolver - For the most part, this guy will most likely be a 3/3 or a 5/5 flyer. If you're going for the 3/3 with versatility, consider Assault/Battery, that way you add more burn to your deck. If you're going for the 5/5 flyer, just put in Mahamoti Djinn. The regenerating part of his ability is not as extremely useful as it might appear.
1 Crop Rotation - Land Grant might be better for you. I really don't think you will need this as much as you think you do, I pulled mine with no issues.
4 Elvish Archer - Solid beatdown.
3 Emperor Crocodile - Fat, cheap creatures never hurt, I would switch these to Blastoderm though. Being unable to target Blastoderm is simply invaluable in 5-Color with all the creature removal available.
4 Ernahm Djinn - Solid beatdown. Phyrexian Scuta is just a wee bit better though.
2 Might of Oaks - With all the higher casting costs in your deck, I think changing this to something cheaper like Giant Growth might be in order, or max out your Wax/Wanes. Card drawing never hurts (Fact or Fiction).
4 Rancor - Solid! Ultimate creature enchantment.
3 River Boa - Solid creature.
2 Thornscape Battlemage - You start playing this guy with full kicker or even just one of the kickers and you will want to maximize these guys.
3 Uktabi Orangutan - Given the amount of white in your deck, I would drop some of these in favor of Thornscape Battlemage for the possibility of extra burn. If you're playing against a lot of artifacts, it's Sex Monkey all the way.

Your green is good. Not a whole lot to say about that.

Gold (14)
4 Armadillo Cloak - Can be good, but I haven't played this personally.
1 Aura Shards - I've had this played against me before. Turning every creature into a CIP Disenchant is good.
4 Recoil - I might recommend something else in this spot, Spite/Malice maybe?
2 Terminate - Good creature removal
3 Wax/Wane - Good card.

Artifact (7)
2 Mox Diamond - Another card that should be considered the Power 9 of 5-Color Magic.
1 Jeweled Bird - Better draw on this quick! Works well with Enlightened Tutor to save your rares.
3 Phyrexian Lens - I'm not to fond of this Standing Stones reprint. Fellwar Stones would be much better. Mana Prism is also another viable option. Sol Grail is possibly better too.
1 Zuran Orb - This card is on my top 10 most hated list, just because every time I get someone down to 1 life, they top deck the damn thing.

Just add some mana artifacts like Fellwar Stone and your artifacts are fine.

Land (48spec + 43 basic) Now it gets chaotic !)
1 undiscovered paradise
1 lotus vale
2 school of the unseen
2 pendelhaven
3 savannah
2 coastal tower
4 tundra
1 taiga
3 plateau
3 scabland
3 underground sea
2 volcanic island
2 elfhame palace
2 yavimaya coast
1 salt marsh
1 rith' grove
1 dromar's cavern
1 Darigaaz's Caldera (BRG lair)
4 Mishra's factory
3 quicksand
1 strip mine
2 wasteland
3 thawing glaciers

6 plains
10 forest
9 Islands
9 swamps
9 Mountain

I'm only going to gloss over the mana mix because it's hard to judge these things. The one card I would remove is Lotus Vale. If your opponent bounces or destroys it, they've just gained at least 2 for 1 card advantage. It's going to happen a lot more often than you think too.

C

CHA1N5

or...

Excellent first deck, Mundungu!

I must start by applauding Dune Echo's observations and comments... I agree with 99 percent of them, and I will address the other 1% here:

(most of his "errors", I believe, are those of omission)

1 Enlightened Tutor - This is good and it's going to be even better with some of my suggestions.
I feel that Dune has made an error of omission, here, but not suggesting some cards that will amplify the usefulness of these two restricted beatuties:

Sylvan Library is a Green Machine(tm) that you should include one (if not four) of. This card invokes more fear in me than Morphling does.

If Sylvan is a Green Machine(tm), Holistic Wisdom is a freakin' assembly line of said Machines! Wisdom is going to be banned, eventually... so play with it while you can. (this last statement is my opinion. Nothing less. Nothing more.)

I encourage people to build there first 5 right now... and play a few games while Holistic Wisdom is legal. That way, you will be able to look back a few months/years from now and say, "oh yeah? Well I remember when they let you play with Holistic Wisdom!" :p

Anhyhoo, back to these white tutors: Enlightened Tutor can get another Restricted card than any 5 with more than 2 creatures should play: Citanul Flute!

You think Sylvan is bad? Well this guy makes me deficate masonry implements. It will be good in a deck such as yours, with so many creatures that you'll want in specific situations.

Before I get too far ahead of myself... there are several restricted cards in this format... and many of them are $1-2 cards. I wouldn't expect everyone to get the P10 and/or Chaos Orb... but the Citanul Flutes and Briberies of the list are just really, really good.

1 Fleeting Image - I don't know about this one, other than I'd rather play Cloud Spirit. Let's see what CHA1N5 has to say...
By popular demand, my opinion:

meh

M.
E.
H.

meh

This guy is not necessarily "bad", per se, but what he is not is "good." ;) He just might garner you some card advantage in the mid-late game... but the presence of better creatures and some efficient preventative measures (see Maze of Ith) will mean that he will often be more cute than effective. I would suggest turning him into a dude with a real ability... like Morphling. Functionally, Morphling only costs 1 more.

3 Rayne, Academy Chancellor - Interesting card advantage. Rout, Wrath of God, and Pernicious Deed might foil your plans though. I think I might recommend Karmic Justice instead. Check with CHA1N5 on that one. Also, Standstill is a killer.
Rayne is a fun trick that might just net you a little card and tempo advantage in some cases. The problem, as Dune put it, is mass removal. You see, Rayne doesn't materially affect the board position by herself. You must have something else of value in play for her to be good. You likely already know this, and you've included 3 of them in your deck, so it appears that you're ready to use her to her fullest (also noting the presence of many creature enchantments in your deck). I'd say, add Rancors and go for it! A 3/1 Trampling Rayne does affect the board, especially if you can keep her from pesky blockers. :) I'm genuinely curious how she works out.

Also, Dune is right: Karmic Justice is a much more agressive version of Rayne, although it only works if your opponent actually destroys the non-creature permanent in question. With your deck, 90% of your permanents are creatures and the more passive Rayne will likely trigger more often.

Blue looks okay, your card choices could be altered a little bit, but then again, it's your card collection and it's what works for you.
One thing that I'll add is that you're short of pure card-drawing in this deck. You have a lot of creatures and some other choices that provide cantrip-level advantage, but you could really use a pure drawer on the level of Fact or Fiction, Braingeyser, Stroke of Genius, Skeletal Scrying... and, of course, CONTRACT!

Regarding your mana-base:
It is a statement of fact that Mirage fetch lands are directly superior to Invasion tap duals, provided you have the real dual lands to fetch. You have a limited selection of duals, but what you have allows Flood Plains and Rocky Tar Pits to fetch all 5 colors. Please to replace your Invasion duals with these gems :)

Thanks for posting the deck Mundungu!

CHA1N5

M

Mundungu

Well I was more than happy to oblige, even if time is somtimes short on my hand.

I have to say that since my status is inactive, and that I have fallen off the Standard train (not seen Odissey yet), FIVE seems a creat way to get my creative juice going.

Some comments on your comments :

Thanks for conceding to my demand.
Hello all. Mundungu is the first to post his decklist, and man, is this a GREAT start! I'll break this down and go card by card.

I have to say first of all, Mundungu, great card choices. There's only a few questionable ones, but I can see solid decisions here. Cards in italics should be maxed out.
well ... thanks for the pat in the back.

White (31)
1 Balance - This could be amazing or a dead draw for you. If you can pull it off more often than not, leave it in.
2 Glimmering Wards - I think you mean Flickering Ward here, not sure. I will say this, if you mean Flickering, I would say to go really light on creature enchantments unless it's Rancor. Rancor is pretty much the only creature enchantment you should run because of mass removal spells. If you do mean Flickering Ward, I would maximize your Mother of Runes slot and possibly Glorious Anthem.
It is indeed Flickering ward. Many of my cards are in foreign language so i have to translate if I do not know the exact card name in English
3 Glorious Anthem - I haven't really seen this one yet in play, so I don't know it true effectiveness. However, it can be good. I know one person that played Crusades in a deck where every creature except a few green were all white or white/something. Did him some good occasionally.
Well I play creature beatdown with many smaller creatures so anthem seems quite ok. I'll have to play to see if it works.
2 Inheritance - Funny that you should include this. It was recently talked about on the mailing list for 5-Color. It's not awesome, but it's not bad either. Let me know how it works out for you. If you want, I'll forward all the discussions on it if you send me your email address.
Well after some discussions about inheritance in the CPA I had dug them out from the piles in the back room and they were waiting in my "could be useful pile". I guess many players play creatures (esp beginners like me ) so why not.
1 Land Tax - Restricted card drawers are always good.
3 Mother of Runes - Great card choice. You would not believe how many times this card has foiled my attempts to break a stall for my Beatdown Collective deck. Really helps you set up control.
those are no brainers. should go up to 4 mothers if I find one
1 Opal Archangel - Hrm¡K This one is tough to gauge. Pros and cons with it. Personally, I'd run something that comes into play already like Masticore and beatdown with it. This isn't something I would count on working for you always. I'll say this, Pernicious Deed is amazing against a deck like yours or mine.
I need more beef and I dont have so many enchantments to fetch so I thought "why not ?"
4 Savannah Lions (I can't resist a 2/1 for W) - And you shouldn't! I'm actually looking to replace my Soltari Troopers with these guys. Great card choice.
4 Seal of Cleansing - There are advantages to using this over Dismantling Blow in your particular deck. First of all, you can tutor for it with Academy Rector or Enlightened Tutor, which is good. Also, your deck seems to be a slower beatdown deck. This is a good early drop for you. I would consider however changing this to 1 Seal of Cleansing with 3 Dismantling Blow.
I took note
4 Swords to Plowshares - The ultimate creature removal spell. Must have for almost any deck.
4 Tithe - Land search is great and necessary! If you're not playing this, then you really should play Land Grant. Tithe is good because if you're behind on land development, the additional Plateau, Savannah, or Scabland is nice. Looking at what duals you have, I think that Tithe was definitely the better choice.
a no brainer. most of my green based duals are in decks so I decided to go the tithe route. If I dismantle my oath deck I might run tithe AND land grant to thin my library.

Blue (32)
1 Aura Thief - Oh, cool. I would love to take away someone's Abundance/Sylvan Library combo! Great idea.
maybe I'll even play 2 :)
3 Cetavolver - I really don't like this card in your deck mainly because your red is almost a minimized color. I think Necravolver would be better for your deck because you can get the white and green kickers, the 2B would only be slightly difficult for you though. Merfolk Looter might be a good replacement if you want to keep a 1U creature in this slot.
will se about that I donno. I think I need hte 1U slot but also need some beef
3 Clone - These could be good. Generally, the mind frame of people who play 5 is to play consistency over variability. I just checked Crystal Keep and there's nothing out there that says specifically copying a kickered creature is a bad thing to do though.
I plan on copying other's fatty creatures (hey I can play Morphling too and for U less :) )
2 Coud Elemental - Switch this to Cloud Spirit or Rishadan Airship, trust me. Everyone is playing Lightning Bolts and Incinerates, going from 3 toughness to 1 is not going to make a bit of difference and the extra power will be worth it.
yeah that need some improvement. thay are some of the last minute "throw ins"
3 Flying Men - Wow, you have these? This is a one drop and a one drop with evasion. I can't say this is a bad card choice, but I'm not sure if it's a great one for putting pressure on your opponent. Every point helps though.
4 Man-o'-War - Card advantage. A 2/2 creature with CIP Unsummon for 2U. I play it, and it's worth it. Also good if you want to rekicker a creature or screw someone else's Phyrexian Scuta.
1 Mimetic Mask - I think you mean Mask of the Mimic. If so, I was in the same boat as you. An unrestricted tutor in a format where tutors are restricted, has to be some good, right? Honestly, I only was able to pull this trick off once with any degree of success or usefulness. I really suggest you cut this because more often than not, you're not going to want to sac a creature to pay the cost or the time you could play will not be helpful at all (like right before a Rout).
this was also a last minute throw in to meet the deadline, although you can also "copy" other player's creatures :)
4 Ophidian - Solid card choice. Very good.
2 Rishadan Brigand - I hate to jump on any band wagon, but I've seen him work too well too many times. Morphling is a beat stick. If you're just looking for a solid flyer, I would play Cloud Spirit or Rishadan Airship instead. It's actually fairly easy to deal with single card sacrifices because of the sheer amount of land you're most likely to play.
1 Sand Squid - I recommend Somnophore (http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/ru...html#Somnophore) over this. Nice idea though because it removes blockers and big creatures.
Somophopre you say .. I take notes ...
1 Saprazan Heir - Standstill. Replace with Standstill. Trust me.
I donno ... a rancored heir sounds like good to me. I'll have to see.
3 Serendib Efreet - Excellent card choice. Just get 4.
a no brainer. Gimme one and I'll have the four :)

Black (17)
1 Demonic Tutor - Good, if you can, always fill black up with the restricted cards. They're restricted for a reason.
4 Diabolic Edict - Solid creature removal. You've hit some of the best ones with your deck.
1 Diabolic Intent - Those Ravenous Rats of yours (or Flying Men perhaps) will be pulling double duty with this card. Good idea.
1 Paralyze - Some people might look at this card and go, "why?" I look at this card and say, "You're a damned annoying little man, aren't you?" I have played against a deck with 4 of these. I never, ever draw my enchantment destruction when one of these is in play for some reason. However, if you can, replace it with a Demonic Consultation.
4 Ravenous Rats - Not bad at all. You may want to consider something else though, just to increase pressure on your opponent, such as Fledgling Djinn or Dauthi Horror.
It may be a beginner's mistake but I want to have at least 1 quick creature drop for each color, at least for some chump blocking action.
4 Unholy Strength - Extra power helps, it really does. I'm just loath to put it on a fragile creature. I think that I would replace this with Sarcomancy so that you have more one drops if possible. If not, Carnophage always works.
1 Vampiric Tutor - Solid.
1 Yawgmoth's Will - I really need one for my own deck. Solid.

Obviously this is a first 5 deck because of one conspicuously missing card - Contract from Below. Consider this one of the Power 9 for 5-Color and if you get serious about this format, get them ASAP. Every other card drawer in the world looks bad after playing with Contracts.
[/QUOTE]
Contract from Below <----- not present in my collection ... YET ...
Red (20)
3 Gorilla Shaman - Solid. Mox Monkeys are good.
3 Flametongue Kavu - Solid. Very good against Wall of Blossoms.
2 Kaervek's Torch - Solid burn.
4 Kird Ape - You may want to exchange this for Skyshroud Elite and then fill the red slots with Incinerates.
same argument as for ravenous rats, although I already had my doubts about them..
4 Lightning Bolt - Solid burn.
1 Rakavolver - I normally would have not recommended this creature, but he's a flying life-gainer. Try him out and let me know what you think.
4 Pyroblast - There are some that swear by this card. At the very least, it's removal and kills Faerie Conclaves.
1 Thunderscape Battlemage - Good card to try out.

Red looks very solid and is well-minimized.
I think I will increase the battlemages and volver if the apes go out.
Green (31)
3 Albino Troll - Solid beatdown.
2 Anavolver - For the most part, this guy will most likely be a 3/3 or a 5/5 flyer. If you're going for the 3/3 with versatility, consider Assault/Battery, that way you add more burn to your deck. If you're going for the 5/5 flyer, just put in Mahamoti Djinn. The regenerating part of his ability is not as extremely useful as it might appear.
will think about it. I think also green could offer better creatures, maybe some spikes ..
1 Crop Rotation - Land Grant might be better for you. I really don't think you will need this as much as you think you do, I pulled mine with no issues.
4 Elvish Archer - Solid beatdown.
3 Emperor Crocodile - Fat, cheap creatures never hurt, I would switch these to Blastoderm though. Being unable to target Blastoderm is simply invaluable in 5-Color with all the creature removal available.
4 Ernahm Djinn - Solid beatdown. Phyrexian Scuta is just a wee bit better though.
2 Might of Oaks - With all the higher casting costs in your deck, I think changing this to something cheaper like Giant Growth might be in order, or max out your Wax/Wanes. Card drawing never hurts (Fact or Fiction).
but they make the flyin gmen deadly :) .. I think I would go for defense of the heart for that casting cost category.
4 Rancor - Solid! Ultimate creature enchantment.
3 River Boa - Solid creature.
2 Thornscape Battlemage - You start playing this guy with full kicker or even just one of the kickers and you will want to maximize these guys.
3 Uktabi Orangutan - Given the amount of white in your deck, I drop some of these in favor of Thornscape Battlemage for the possibility of extra burn. If you're playing against a lot of artifacts, it's Sex Monkey all the way.

Your green is good. Not a whole lot to say about that.
some 3 will become 4s

Gold (14)
4 Armadillo Cloak - Can be good, but I haven't played this personally.
1 Aura Shards - I've had this played against me before. Turning every creature into a CIP Disenchant is good.
4 Recoil - I might recommend something else in this spot, Spite/Malice maybe?
well I think recoil in itself is very good and will surprise the opponent. I'll have to see if it is as usefull as I think.
2 Terminate - Good creature removal
3 Wax/Wane - Good card.

Artifact (7)
2 Mox Diamond - Another card that should be considered the Power 9 of 5-Color Magic.
1 Jeweled Bird - Better draw on this quick! Works well with Enlightened Tutor to save your rares.
3 Phyrexian Lens - I'm not to fond of this Standing Stones reprint. Fellwar Stones would be much better. Mana Prism is also another viable option. Sol Grail is possibly better too.
1 Zuran Orb - This card is on my top 10 most hated list, just because every time I get someone down to 1 life, they top deck the damn thing.
Just add some mana artifacts like Fellwar Stone and your artifacts are fine.
the felwar stone is very good. I just forgot about it.
the moxen I have but they would have to be taken from other decks :(

On the lands I have to say the following :
I have more duals if I destroy my other decks but might do it.

running 40 duals = 1 chance ion 6 you will ante for a dual. (and I 'm afraid to loose :( )
same as for adding the morphlings and other masticores. I am just playing chicken. On the other hand, if I play with them I'll have more chance to win .. I need to find the balkance until I am confident enough.

To comment on CHAIN comments, I agrree that the lack of card drawing is very bad, and some other cards like citanul flute I plainly dont have.

I will think about the libraies though since 4 are waiting in my binder covered with dust.

On a last note, I do not have the mirage fetch land :(

Ok time to eat now ... I'll be back later.

D

Dune Echo

Mundungu: Talked to CHA1N5 about your deck a bit more and he kinda liked the Rayne, Academy Chancellor idea. We then began discussing possibly good enchantments to play in your deck.

Unstable Mutation - CHA1N5 sold me on this one a while back for my Beatdown Collective deck (I just didn't run enough blue to cast it consistantly). This would be better than Giant Growth in your deck because it basically gives an additional 6 points of damage over the span of 3 turns.
Unholy Strength - You got this one already.
Rancor - You got this one already.
Armadillo Cloak - You got this one already.
Sleeper's Robe - Otherwise known as "make your own Finkel." I actually play Sleeper's Robe in my Wicked Madness (anti-beatdown deck) where it becomes awesome on an Avenging Druid.

Try some of those out and let us know.

D

Dune Echo

Originally posted by Mundungu
Well I play creature beatdown with many smaller creatures so anthem seems quite ok. I'll have to play to see if it works.
Let me know, I'm interested.

Well after some discussions about inheritance in the CPA I had dug them out from the piles in the back room and they were waiting in my "could be useful pile". I guess many players play creatures (esp beginners like me ) so why not.
PM me your email addy and I'll forward all the related discussions to Inheritence to you from the 5-Color Mailing List.

I need more beef and I dont have so many enchantments to fetch so I thought "why not ?"
Let me know how this works for you.

most of my green based duals are in decks so I decided to go the tithe route. If I dismantle my oath deck I might run tithe AND land grant to thin my library.
Eh, you're worried about losing cards in ante, so don't do that yet. You really need to find people that just want to play for fun. Ghost ante or even no ante is just as fun really.

Aura Thief does look like fun. I want to see if you pull this off at all.

I think I need the 1U slot but also need some beef
Consider Cloudskate then. It's known as the "Blue Ball Lightning" for a reason. Why waste a removal spell on something that's only going to be around for 3 turns?

I plan on copying other's fatty creatures (hey I can play Morphling too and for U less :) )
LOL Good answer. I have to admit, I really want to try these in my Wicked Madness deck now. I have eight of them doing nothing.

Somophopre you say .. I take notes ...
Somnophore just seems to fit the idea better than Sand Squid to me.

I donno ... a rancored heir sounds like good to me. I'll have to see.
Which is better, having a 1/1 for 1U that might get blocked? Or having a 1U enchantment that your opponent is PRAYING to topdeck a man land to deal with what you have on the board already. I've been on the receiving end of a Standstill before, there is almost literally nothing you can do. Your opponent is only going to play it if they know you need to cast something.

It may be a beginner's mistake but I want to have at least 1 quick creature drop for each color, at least for some chump blocking action.
No, it makes sound sense.

Contract from Below <----- not present in my collection ... YET ...
And if you get serious about this format, it will be soon! :)

I think I will increase the battlemages and volver if the apes go out.

... I think also green could offer better creatures, maybe some spikes...
Not bad ideas in any event.

Defense of the Heart is simply evil against beatdown decks, especially if the two creatures you end up getting are Tradewind Rider and Auramancer. CHA1N5 pulled this one night with my Wicked Madness deck and the guy walking past simply said, "Scoop."

well I think recoil in itself is very good and will surprise the opponent. I'll have to see if it is as usefull as I think.
It certainly has potential. I just personally wouldn't recommend it. Capsize is usually more effective because of the buyback.

the felwar stone is very good. I just forgot about it.
the moxen I have but they would have to be taken from other decks :(
I run 2 Mox Diamond and 3 Fellwar Stones in my own 5. I'm sure adding in the Fellwar Stones will help greatly and breaking your other decks apart won't be necessary.

On the lands I have to say the following :
I have more duals if I destroy my other decks but might do it.

running 40 duals = 1 chance ion 6 you will ante for a dual. (and I 'm afraid to loose :( )
same as for adding the morphlings and other masticores. I am just playing chicken. On the other hand, if I play with them I'll have more chance to win .. I need to find the balance until I am confident enough.
Seriously, this format is about fun for the group CHA1N5 and I play with. Encourage people to not play ante and the games get wild.

To comment on CHAIN comments, I agree that the lack of card drawing is very bad, and some other cards like citanul flute I plainly dont have.

I will think about the libraies though since 4 are waiting in my binder covered with dust.
Don't think, do! :) He's not kidding, and I can't back him up enough on this. I HATE seeing Sylvan Library on his side of the board.

F

Five Color Fat

It took me so long to read that decklist and then all of the replies, I forgot what I was going to write, but I do remember that Sleeper's Robe + Avenging Druid has to be the biggest beating of all time.

With any way to exploit your graveyard; Recurring Nightmare, Holistic Wisdom, or your library, Sylvan Library, Scroll Rack, this combo has to be nuts, if a bit fragile.

CHA1N5 is doing a great job with the 5-Color reviews on the site, and I hope that more players continue to submit their decks and ideas!

Z

Zadok001

Wow, this format provokes long posts... :) Everything about this format is just friggin' BIG.

I'm being Off-Topic here, I hope you don't mind too badly. As you may (not) know, I'm considering Five as a format to start toying with. I have a question. Ignore me if you'd rather stay 100% on topic. Recoil. Counts as either Blue or Black, but not both. If I'm playing with 4x Recoil, can I say two count as blue, and two as black to fill out those two colors?

D

Dune Echo

Any single gold card has to count as one color only. However, yes, Zadok, you're right. You can have 2 Recoils count as 2 black cards and 2 Recoils count as 2 blue cards.

Per www.5-color.com: "Multi-colored cards count towards one of your colors, but not both. For example, if you have a blue/red casting cost card, it can count towards your blue count or red count, but not both. Similar logic applies to split cards. [13 Dec 00]"

Kurt: - The decks listed in the deck section could probably go into that (those) article(s) you had posted about. I'm sure the people posting them wouldn't mind if you could give them some constructive criticism.

D

Dune Echo

Mundungu: Can you post your latest deck list for me? Thanks.

M

Mundungu

I will post my deck list within a few days.

I have changed quite a few cards while staying on the same theme (ground pounders and no fly zone enforcers).

On the top of my head some of the additions :
thieving magpie, sylvan library, impulse ...

Anyhow I'll throw the decklist here.

I have also worked on the mana base and will write about a small calculation method to determine the probability of drawing cards within x turns (to better handle the mana base).

just gimme time.