Ww2k1

I

Istanbul

Went through and made a list of all the cards that might be good for a White Weenie deck...

Beloved Chaplain (1W, 1/1, protection from creatures)
Devoted Caretaker (W, 1/2, W and Tap: Target permanent you control gets prot. instants and sorceries)
Lieutenant Kirtar (1WW, 2/2, flying, 1W and Sacrifice: Remove target attacking creature from the game)
Patrol Hound (1W, 2/2, Discard: Patrol Hound gets first strike until end of turn. Wuv Muffin)
Pianna, Nomad Captain (1WW, 2/2, if she attacks, all attackers get +1/+1)
Resilient Wanderer (2WW, 2/3, first strike, Discard: Gets protection from a color of your choice)
Voice of All (2WW, 2/2, flying, prot. from a color of your choice)
Angelic Page (1W, 1/1, flying, T: Target creature gets +1/+1)
Knight Errant (1W, 2/2...hey, it's a bear)
Longbow Archer (WW, 2/2, first strike, can block flyers)
Serra Angel (3WW, 4/4, flying, doesn't tap to attack)
---
Divine Sacrament (1WW, All white creatures get +1/+1, Threshold: All white creatures get another +1/+1)
Dismantling Blow (For our purposes, another Disenchant)
Aura Blast (1W, Destroy an enchantment, draw a card)
Lashknife Barrier (2W, draw when it comes into play, all sources deal normal damage -1 to your creatures)
Glorious Anthem (1WW, All creatures you control get +1/+1)
Disenchant (1W, Disenchant...c'mon)
Pacifism (1W, Shuts a creature up so it can't attack or block)

White has no good non-basic land. Oh, and I know what you're saying...go white/blue. NO. For some reason, God hates me going dual-color...if it's at all possible for me to get mana screwed as far as the wrong color goes, it'll happen. Treat this as a mono-white deck.

-
-
-

So, from what I dragged up, I made this deck:

3x Devoted Caretaker
4x Beloved Chaplain
4x Longbow Archer
3x Patrol Hound
2x Lieutenant Kirtar
3x Pianna, Nomad Captain
3x Voice of All
2x Serra Angel

2x Divine Sacrament
3x Glorious Anthem
4x Disenchant
3x Dismantling Blow
2x Aura Blast

22x Plains

Now, you're probably staring at the Disenchant and Dismantling Blow and Aura Blast and wondering what I'm smoking. Well, I really expect to see these having targets...and if they happen not to, well, I'll have one waiting. Most decks out there either benefit greatly from enchantments, or flat-out revolve around them. Twosomes are cards I don't want to draw early; I'm not entirely sure three Voices of All are wise, but the protection ability is pretty nice. And I know Pianna is a legend...but her power is so good! I want to find at least one, and odds are that I'll never find more than two. I play Sacrament and Anthem both simply because that way, I have a good chance of finding a creature booster to turn my creatures into a bargain...and I play more Anthem than Sacrament because I don't know that I can count on Threshhold, and if i don't hit Threshhold, Anthem is directly superior.

Thoughts? (Cries of 'it's a monocolor deck, evil, get thee behind me' not needed.)

R

rkoelsch

There are a few changes I would make.
first I would remove the 3 Dismantling Blow and put in 3 Shelter
this is a very good card for a common.
second is just a matter of preference I would have put Knight Errant in instead of Beloved Chaplain. He is more of a defensive card than an offensive card and you can't protect him with the devoted caretaker. But like I said I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference and I can see him as being handy.

M

Mikeymike

I agree, stick with the mono-white. I hear the arguments to go 2 color but I can't justify it when there are so many great options for a good old reliable white weenie deck. But that's me, and I suck at Magic.

Deck thoughts.
I understand the reasoning behind the D-chants, but 9 maindeck is a lot. Especially considering the first decks that are usually built when a new set rotates in are very beatdown focused and art/echn.-lite. Opening hand you want threats and aggression in this deck, not responsive cards which aren't always going to be playable in the first few turns. You could discard them to give Wuv Muffin first strike, but how often to you need first strike? I'd cut at least 3 D.Blows, but maybe even some D.Chants.

I don't think you need the 2 Serra Angels. Sure she's a house, but for what she's doing in here, wouldn't Wayward Angel be better? The Angel is 1 more, but she becomes an absolute monster with threshold (her upkeep is negligible b/c 1-2 swings with her will win the game) and she turns black, negating an opposing pro-white Voice of All.
Honestly though, with all the boost in the deck you really shouldn't need either the Serra or the Wayward. Your creatures will all be big anyway.

I would probably drop the Sacraments for the time being too. White weenie is going to be all over the place by the time the season starts up, and even then you know Meddling Mage, Spectral Lynx and Voice of All will continue to be common place. The Glorious Anthem is superior.

I really like the call of Beloved Chaplain in here vs. the Spectral Lnyx.
Quick comparison of 2, Pros of the Lynx:
+1 on power - You'll miss this, all of your creatures are going to get bigger anyway, not as big a deal as it appears to be
Regeneration - Always good, but now you have to have to splash Cave's of Koilos (pain you don't want) and/or Swamps (nearly useless). Chances of you getting a Caves and a Lynx aren't as great as they seem to warrant inclusion, and now you've added painlands

Pros of the Chaplain
Protection from creatures: That means he can block anything that doesn't fly, and he's unblockable, that's freaking huge. Burn sucks, but its nearly as easy to kill a Lynx with burn as it is a Chaplain (wait until they block, bolt over the shield)
For what you want this deck to do, the Chaplain is superior at least 75% of the time.

As rkoelsch said, shelter is amazing (plus the girl on in the artwork isn't wearing any pants, not that I notice that sort of thing). Give it a look.

Lt. Kirtar is as annoying a creature as you can imagine. My friend put him in a deck already and he was a pain in the but, dealing 2 per turn and keeping my Mystic Enforcer back. I really like Kirtar, consider 3. He is a legend, but he kills himself.

I

Istanbul

I had thought of Shelter, but it's a one-shot cantrip...it *might* help me win, but probably not.
I'd be playing a fourth Anthem on sideboard in case my opponent played heavy white.
I'd also play three Lashknife Barrier sideboard, in case my opponent was playing a more ench/art-light deck.

I just keep finding my opponents playing large quantities of them, so I want to keep them main-deck.

I

Istanbul

Okay, Round 2:

3x Devoted Caretaker
4x Beloved Chaplain
4x Longbow Archer
3x Patrol Hound
2x Lieutenant Kirtar
3x Pianna, Nomad Captain
3x Voice of All
2x Serra Angel
---
2x Divine Sacrament
3x Glorious Anthem
4x Disenchant
2x Aura Blast
3x Shelter

SB:
1x Glorious Anthem
3x Dismantling Blow
3x Lashknife Barrier
2x COP: Green
3x COP: Red
3x Mystic Crusader

R

rkoelsch

I would think you would want either Dodcepod or Cop Black in the sideboard for discard and infiltrators.

I

Istanbul

Good point. COP: Black yes, Dodecapod no. (I'm not that afraid of discard.) COP: Greens come out for them.

B

bloit

YOUR DECK SUCKS!;) even though i have one just like it. i think i would go with 4 anthem and 1 sacrament main deck, and then if you know they aren't playing any white critters, id side in three sacrament (as it is better vs anything but white.)

G

Gizmo

Pariah is defensive (apart from when sneakily used in conjuction with damage lands) and so if you play it you are dropping the 'rush' pretense to play a deck that functions more like some sort of mono-white control deck (and the last time one of those was good was....err...no wait, Im sure there must have been one ONCE...).

Id not touch mono-white. You NEED removal. Shelter isnt very maindeckable. The simple fact is that if you are arguing over the inclusion of spells like SHELTER than you are blatantly weakening your deck by refusing to play a secondary colour.

BTW: heres the COMPLETE list of popularly played artifantments that you need Disenchant-type effects against...
Oppostion
Static Orb
Opposition
Static Orb
Opposition
and
Static Orb

So possibly six maindeck disenchant effects is unnecessary, whaddya think?:rolleyes:
There are a few more cards out there that will see play in smaller numbers, but they will be only played by a very small percentage of the field, and it is simply not essential that you are able to kill them, Im thinking here of cards like Goblin Trenches, and Glorious Anthem, maybe even a few poor souls using Nefarious Lich.

Besides Vindicate kills enchantments and artifacts doesnt it? Yes, I thought it did. :p

Id make the following changes:
- bad mono-white spells
- endless basic lands
+ good multicoloured and/or splash spells
+ some rare lands

ie:
- Patrol Hound
- Voice Of All
- Disenchants and Shelters
+ Goblin Legionairre
+ Flametongue Kavu
+ some burn spells

Or maybe even:
- Patrol Hound
- Beloved Chaplain (why not just call him St Francis of Assisi and stop beating about the bush)
- Voice Of All
- Disenchants and Aura Blasts
- Shelters
+ Dega Disciple
+ Goblin Legionairre
+ Flametongue Kavu
+ Vindicate
+ Volcanic Hammer

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Gizmo
Pariah is defensive (apart from when sneakily used in conjuction with damage lands) and so if you play it you are dropping the 'rush' pretense to play a deck that functions more like some sort of mono-white control deck (and the last time one of those was good was....err...no wait, Im sure there must have been one ONCE...).

Id not touch mono-white. You NEED removal. Shelter isnt very maindeckable. The simple fact is that if you are arguing over the inclusion of spells like SHELTER than you are blatantly weakening your deck by refusing to play a secondary colour.

BTW: heres the COMPLETE list of popularly played artifantments that you need Disenchant-type effects against...
Oppostion
Static Orb
Opposition
Static Orb
Opposition
and
Static Orb

So possibly six maindeck disenchant effects is unnecessary, whaddya think?:rolleyes:
There are a few more cards out there that will see play in smaller numbers, but they will be only played by a very small percentage of the field, and it is simply not essential that you are able to kill them, Im thinking here of cards like Goblin Trenches, and Glorious Anthem, maybe even a few poor souls using Nefarious Lich.

Besides Vindicate kills enchantments and artifacts doesnt it? Yes, I thought it did. :p

Id make the following changes:
- bad mono-white spells
- endless basic lands
+ good multicoloured and/or splash spells
+ some rare lands

ie:
- Patrol Hound
- Voice Of All
- Disenchants and Shelters
+ Goblin Legionairre
+ Flametongue Kavu
+ some burn spells

Or maybe even:
- Patrol Hound
- Beloved Chaplain (why not just call him St Francis of Assisi and stop beating about the bush)
- Voice Of All
- Disenchants and Aura Blasts
- Shelters
+ Dega Disciple
+ Goblin Legionairre
+ Flametongue Kavu
+ Vindicate
+ Volcanic Hammer
You're kind of neglecting Phyrexian Arena, Yawgmoth's Agenda, assorted Sanctuaries, Collective Restraint, possibly Fires...these aren't just strong, they're *GAME-WRECKERS*. Especially with the Arena, Agenda, and Restraint, I'm in a situation where I MUST kill them or I'm in serious trouble. Hence, six Disenchants. Add Opposition and Orb to that list, and I don't think six Disenchants is over-the-top.
How would you construct a mana base for someone who has hellish luck with drawing the wrong kind of mana in such a way to ensure that he wouldn't draw Plains and Caves of Koilos with a hand full of Goblin Legionnaire and FTK?