DCI or Bands

T

terzarima

Hello everybody,

Today were going to talk about DCI. No, not Duelist Convication Idustries (International?) but Drum Corps International. Whilst touring with my marching band (Calgary Round up band) in southern California, we got to see a DCI competition. Did anyone else see the Santa Ana Fanfare?

Well the blue devils won (no surprise) even though I thought someother bands had much more outstanding musical and marching performances. I bought some cool stuff there, mostly bumper stickers for my instrument case.

On a side note, does anyone live in southern California, and if you do, did you see the Calgary round up band? Come on....

I think I've heard ErinPuff and her friends mention the cadets a couple times, we saw them there too (plus I got a bumper sticker). So what do you think of the DCI or marching bands in general?

Killer Joe

You must have missed the thread I started last year about DCI, because in it, I mentioned that I marched in drum corps back in the day:
1978-1980 Royal Crusaders Finnleyville, PA
1981 Blue Stars LaCrosse, Wis.
1982 Blue Devils Concord, Calif.
1983-1986 Steel City Ambassadors (Sr. Corps) Pittsburgh, PA
I aslo instructed a DCI Division III corps called the Golden Lancers (1995 DCM Mid-west champions Div. III)
and the Syracuse Brigadiers in 1999.
I love drum corps, but I'm a solid Band Fan now (I'm a Band Director :p ).

K

K9Archmage

Almindhra, mind your manners. You've been a bad girl. Now, go to the corner and skulk in your own pity.

Anways, what the hell is the DCI?

Hoipa

T

terzarima

Drum Corps International

Its where all the Drum corps (marching bands with only percussion, brass, and colourgaurd) compete officially. I'm not sure what the prizes are, but I'm sure its pretty big. This year, I beleive the international competition is in Buffalo, NY.

Yj: Yeah, I probably missed it. I did have that 3 month period where I couldn't go on the CPA last year...

Killer Joe

Drum & Bugle Corps originally started out as youth organizations sponsored by VFW's (Veteran's of Foreign Wars). This dates back to the post WW I era. Just about every town across America had one, if not several.

The bugles of those days didn't have ANY valves and drum sections only had two or three snares, a bass drum and a pair of cymbals. Percision drill moves (lines, circles and other basic shapes) and a very limited selection of tunes were played at competitions (I don't think intonation was discovered yet ;) )

Later (circa 1950's), these youth groups became huge and the competitions grew bigger. It was about then that these groups traveled out of state to compete.

During the sixties the equipment became more sophisticated i.e. Bugles had two vales; one piston and one rotary. The drumlines became larger, sometimes up to 36 members! Because of the improvement of the instruments musical selections became more varied. By this time there were established organized state, regional and national championships but none of them were consistant with each other ie they all had different ways of judging the corps and whatnot.

The seventies was the eye opening era for drum corps. First of all, there was a need to have consistancy with all of the competitions such as judging, proceedures for starting and ending performances and other stuff like that. So a group of Corps Directors got together and formed an alliance called Drum Corps International. There were still regional organizations that sponsored shows but alligned themselves with the DCI, some them included; DCM-Drum Corps Mid-West, DCW-Drum Corps West, DCE-Drum Corps East (Now it's called Drum Corps Mid Atlantic), and Drum Corps South. Canada has always had a long tradition of drum corps, one of their regional organizations was called ODCA (Ontario Drum Corps Association). England has a organization called DCUK (Drum Corps United Kingdom).

By the mid 1980's drum corps looked and sounded totally different than the old days. Bugles had three vales and looked very much like a trumpet (except it was in the key of "G", not Bb) and the drumlines became more sophisticated by having keyboard percussion and timpani along with an array of percussion instrument normally found in a concert halllike gongs, whistles, tom-toms and the likes.

The musical selections were definitly better to listen to (they had discovered intonation :D ). Because of the keyboards and the bugles having three vales, even orchestral music selections could be played (Phantom Regiment and the Santa Clara Vanguard were classical music's representatives in drum corps).

Today, no longer are lines and circles and other basic shapes are formed on the field by the corps, it has become an artistic form of mind, body & acoustical coordination. The best drum corps now require that their members are physically fit as well as having advanced knowledge in music and dance. The DCI cahmpionships are every year in August and held at various places Like Miami, Buffalo, Boston, Madison. Kansas City, Philadelphia, Denver, Ithaca, et al.

In the future, I'm sure, drum corps will evolve into something that will be enjoyed by all, not just drum corps enthusists, it won't be on the football field but held in theatres like syphonies and ballets. It actually will be a mix of the two (actually a group called The Star of Indiana has already started this trend). If you haven't ever caught a show of this thing called drum corps, it's fantastic, it has a following much like MTG. It's on PBS around November, check it out :) .

E

ErinPuff

Nice history there, Yellowjacket..

My dad is an obsessive drum corps fan, so I go to a lot of shows.. quite fun. I'm only going to three (I think) this season.. went to one in June and will go to two more in early August. I hate traveling, so that eliminates a lot of opportunities.. my dad's leaving today for a week-long drum corps road trip.. that's not my thing. :p

He has a drum corps website www.corpsreps.com that has more information than anyone could hope to want to know.. *end shameless plug*

Killer Joe

:eek: Crip! He should've written a brief history post on this thread, I seriously pale compared to him! :eek:
Nice site though :).