Everyones best/worst/favourite plays

M

mpgsheep

My best play was when I congregated, and my friend flung a big multani at me in response, so I misdirected it back at him, so he congregated in response, which i misdirected to me. Net result - me on 84 and him dead

My worst play was when I tried to capsize a silver wyvern...doh. Had to counter my Capsize to keep my Ophidian in the game.

My favourite play was definetely using vendetta to take down a 300/300 Serra Avatar.

A

Almindhra

Err, this was at Regionals, and um, I'm stupid..

First game and he goes first and I see hes playing White, and oh looky, rebels...So a few turns later he has 3 rebels and I have 1 (which was not a searching one)...And um, I played Crusade...I know, I know!...I'm a moron...When I flopped it out on the table I just looked at it and said "I am so stupid"...And then I looked at my hand and was wondering if I should counter it...Well I didn't, and I should have...

He quickly slaughtered me...And now I can never live this one play down...

R

Rando

How did you vendetta a 300/300 Avatar and live?

My worst play was against Ankh-Tide. He had the Ankh on the table, and then cast Paralax Tide. All I had was a Disenchant, and for reasons only God and the insane can guess, I destoyed the Tide. I died 3 seconds later. :(

M

mpgsheep

well i didnt survive - meant that this guy wouldnt win the multiplayer though - was quite a good way to finish though

E

EricBess

I've made tons of stupid plays. Not even worth mentioning ;) Good plays too. Sigh. Here's one that I did about a week ago. It was a sealed deck and I was playing UBG. I had a Bog Gnarr in play, which was already huge, and I drew a Cavern Harpy. There was a bit of a creature standoff because he had a couple of big boys out too, but the Harpy made the difference. I cast it and returned....Cavern Harpy. Rinse, repeat. A couple of Harpys later, I attacked with a really big Bog Gnarr.

My favorite bad play that someone did...Back around the Ice Age, the store did a 40-card tournament. Because the decks could be smaller, I decided a Millstone deck would be really good. I played that and, figuring other people would too, I played a couple maindeck Steal Artifact. My opponent knew this as it was the third game. He was playing a green beatdown deck and we were racing. He was beating me down with creatures and I was milling his deck. Problem was, he was winning the race and I would die just one turn too early.

Then he did it. He drew a card and instinctively just dropped it onto the table: Zuran Orb. As soon as he did, he realized his mistake. I was holding Steal Artifact and that gave me the life advantage that I needed to finish off his deck.

H

Hetemti

Worst Play: On the Shandalar Microprose Magic:tG computer game, I cast Ball Lightning, doubleclicked the [DONE] button, and skipped right over my attack phase.

Coolest Play: During a three-way multiplayer game, I sat around dropping lands (I had nothing but portal at the time) until my friend (now friend, then "the guy who got me into playing this crazy game") died. Then the other guy attacked me for three, I hit him with Lava Axe, he attacked me for three, I Déjà Vued (Portal Relearn) back my Axe and hit him again. I then sat there waiting for him to take his turn, as he was just sitting there, mouth agape. (I didn't know he was at 4 when I hit him with the Axe the second time.) Not bad for my first game. :D

Favorite Play: Using Bone Mask to hold off an 11/10 Trampler until my Serra Angel could finish him off.

T

theorgg

My favorite play, in "Coolness Factor" is playing Flicker on a 22/22(or somesuch HUGE number) Minion of the Wastes.

He was at one.

Leverage.
Bwahaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa!

I

Istanbul

He was playing R/G Zoo variant.
I was playing my signature Annoyance deck. Blue control, with Morphling kill.

He had no way past my Morphling. I had run out of counters, but he had run out of hand; we were both in topdeck mode. We both had plenty of mana.
He plays Red Elemental Blast on my Morphling. I sigh, because I have no counters in hand, and put Morphling in my graveyard. I am promptly killed.

Now then. Who can tell me what I did wrong? *groan*

A

Apollo

Ooh, I know! You should have given the Morphling flying before he died.

S

superguy

Oh, I know!!! You should've pumped his toughness so his big butt would reflect the Blast right back at your opponent!! ;)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Were your lands plains?

j/k

Worst Play: I had a bunch of forests and islands in play, and a Thran Quarry.
I had played Ghitu Slinger the pervious turn, and it was my only creature.
During my upkeep, I had no mountains, so I thought I couldn't pay the creature's echo cost, so I sacrificed it.
I had to sacrifice the Thran Quarry at the end of the turn.
Best Play: I don't know (although at one point I was playing Replenish and I actually succeeded in dealing damage faster than my opponent with Opalescence!).
Favorite Play: Generating infinite mana with Cloud of Fairies+Equilibrium+Aluren and casting a 170000 point Krakilin.

F

fuzzy510

I had Aluren and Recycle in play, and my deck had all creatures with low casting costs. You're wondering how I lost, right?

I decked myself.

I was on such a playing spree that I dropped too many creatures, and decked myself. :mad:

N

Necrosavant

Playing a Black/forgot/forgot...(I had won the shop tourney the prior week, so I couldn't win the prize last friday), and I was playing my U/W "annoyance.dec". I had creatures to block his nonblack creatures, and I had a Story Circle naming black out to negate his 6/6 Maruading Knight and other things, my Nightwind Gliders had him down to 4, next turn the win. He plays Desolation Angel, with the kicker, and begins to scoop his land. I say "hold up there", tap 2 islands, and counter the Angel. He looks at me blankly for a minute, puts his lands back down, and tells me to go.
I swing and take the game :)
He ended up going 4-1,me being his only loss, I went 4-0 (true to form my deck made one game go for 45 minutes, and this was at the end of the 3 hours the shopkeep allows for the tourney, so I didn't get the chance for a game 5). The prior week we were tied at 6-2 andfaced off in the final, which I won for a nifty Desolation Angel Promo thingy. It hangs from the cieling, like a die-cut thing. It's really spiffy.
That play felt so nice...when it hit the table he thought the game was over :).

D

Dead

Playing city of solitude against a blue infi-mana capsize the whole board deck, when i had altar of dementia down which would have let me sac creatures and fizzle the capsize.
Really should stop playing that card against combo :-(

E

ErinPuff

I can never remember my good and bad plays, but here's one my friend did.. it was a four-player chaos game, and we were all playing green or G/W.. real late in the game, we all had lots of forests out.. and he played An-Havva Inn (something like gain life equal to 1 plus the number of forests in play) taking his life up to around fifty, and then he finished us off.. and the thing that makes me cringe about that is his deck *sucks* :eek:

G

Gizmo

I find picking up three Islands to cast a spell extremely satisfying, I must say. Almost as satisfying as sacrificing two mountains to cast a spell, but not quite. Although my favourite play of all time is surely when I pay G and discard a creature to search my library for a creature and put it into my hand - Good Times.
:D

A

Apollo

My favorite play was against a blue counter-control deck. I sacrificed those two mountains that Gizmo likes so much to play my Fireblast. My opponent looked at his hand and said "No counters." I picked up the Mox that I had just won.

N

Neil Rigby

A lot of my favorite and most retarded plays have come at quite important torunaments.
Probably my favorite play has to be the one I did against Eric Taylor in the second round of PT Rome (the one where me and Gizmo foolishly played Reap/Lace in the academy environment). He starts the first game and i draw my hand of not much, but decide to keep it. He proceeds to go off on turn one. Plays a load of artifacts generates a load of mana puts down an academy casts time spiral and puts down more artifacts then casts the last card in his hand 'Time Spiral' number two. I sy "hang on there" discard a blue card lose one life 'force of will', he takes a shed load of mana burn and fails to recover :).
ame two, I sideboard in some cards which may be useful against Academy and sit there playing stuff out, he is slightly more weary this time but again attempts to go off, I counter his important spells and leave him with no cards in hand. On my turn I give him enough black permanents to mean I can cycle the neccessary cards to generate infinite mana of any colour and use all the cards in my hand and graveyard as often as i like, but then realise I dont actually have anything that allows me to draw cards, so I just do some stuff and finish my go after emptying his graveyard with 'Ebony Charm', turning everything he has in play black with 'Prismatic lace' (anyone spotted my mistake yet). He starts his go and draws Time Spiral and defeats me savagely. :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you could use all the cards in your graveyard as often as you like, should you have used Ebony Charm to cause him to lose a life and you gain a life until he's dead instead of cleaning out his library?

M

Mundungu

That was in a MP game.

I was playing a stupid green / secret force type of deck.

After one of my opp cleaned the table with a Pernicious deed I could natural order the elf I just played.

The most interesting creature I had at my disposal in my library was a masticore.

The mighty beast would have ruled the table by inflicting dammage while making sure no other player would play critters and insure me a game win.

So I natural ordered my elf that I had just played. Only to discover that I had no cards left in hand.

***** sigh *****