Sleepers?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey everybody, im a little new here. I was wondering what you guys think some sleeper cards are when U/S-L-D rotate out. Mines complex outmation.

G

Gizmo

Alwyas look to the 'deck engines' - they will be the true power cards.
What makes me draw cards, or search my library for cards?

In Masques the Rebels will be strong for that very reason, you can be sure of that, but Masques/Nemesis is light on deck engines at the moment.
Currently Masques gives very little to the new environment IMHO.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree that mm doesent effect the current enviroment very much. I was wondering what cards you think are sleepers and will show up when the US block leaves or when PR and IN come out

T

The Magic Jackal

I think the conspiracy deck will be big, so some of the key cards will become big, such as:
Conspiracy
Overlaid Terrain
Belbe's portal
Harvest Mage
Elvish poacher
Delrich/Tidal Kracken/Shyshroud Behemoth.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Gizmo, do you think that the creatures with pack hunt will be good? They do give you 3 card net advantage. I personally love them!

T

The Magic Jackal

They will be good for one reason-spellshapers. The sentental and wolf are a little expensive to cost (the wurn isn't that bad). But they are good chucking cards. They go in the same category as squee-cards that will be abused to spell shapers.

T

theorgg

actually, the sentinal is being used in 21.dec s that use both of the saporling cards and ash's alter with fecuindy to search. pay three, draw three.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I really like Crag Saurian. In a Red deck, the "drawback" is no big deal.

Your turn: attack, lose a creature to Crag Saurian, take Crag Saurian.
My turn: ping Crag Saurian, take him back.
Repeat as necessary.

Z

Zadok001

I thing Crumbling Sactuary will hit eventually. It's amazingly versitle, and completely shuts down Stampy if used correctly. Mercenaries and Rebels almost become a drawback, and it's just a general pain-in-the-ass. Neat card.

D

Duel

I think when the set rotates out, Skyshroud Behemoth will come in. It's already good, but shunned, which is beyond me. Ever been attacked by a double-rancored one?
Also, I think anything that coinverts the format of the game is a sleeper. That's why the searchers will convert the game hugely (allowing you to draw an extra card of your choice, for a price, and play it) as well as pack hunt (card advantage), and crumbling sanctuary, for the reasons Zadok explained. My biggest fear is that Eye of Yawgmoth will pop up, especially because I have loudly voiced my pity for the card.

A

Apollo

Actually, Duel, I've never been attacked by a double-rancored Skyshroud Behemoth. Why? Because by the time they work up to seven mana to cast it, I'm all set with an answer. I don't think it will be used because any deck worth it's salt will have something on turn seven to deal with it, or will have killed you by them. In addition, he asked about sleepers AFTER urza's rotates out. No Rancor. Hear the 2 loud thuds? That's the Behemoth running into two chump blockers before dying of old age. Yup, what a deal! For seven mana, you can kill your opponents two worst creatures! woo-hoo! Sign me up! :) Remember, this is in good fun; please don't get upset at my sarcasm.

Apollo

D

Duel

My brother's green beatdown deck has the answer to cc: elves + piper = instant death.

R

rpitcher

I think the Urzas Block did a lot for accelerated mana production. When the block rotates out, watch for mana control statefies to re-emerge. Rising Waters and Armageddon might work again with Gaea's Cradle and Priests of Titania Rotating out. Yes the Ring of Gix will be gone as well, but Rishisan Port will remain. Even without a means to tap lands, Rising Waters is a nuisance! The mana acceleration that will remian does not seem as strong. Stompy type decks and fast red decks loss a lot of the popular 1 cc creatures. Rebels and Mercenaries require mana to use thier abilites. If mana control decks do re-emerge, watch Trade Routes become a little hotter.
MM block and 6th are clearly "slower" as far as creatures go. Could this make Wrath of God worthwhile again? Counter magic is not as strong as it has been in some blocks, but creature removal seems okay, so maybe white/blue control will work. The "kill" card is missing yet, unless red is splashed for Blaze.
I'll guess right some day hehehehe.