Some Crazy Apocalypse Stuff from Inquest

C

Cateran Emperor

Item 1: Cycles of Creatures

There are a whole cycle of the "-volver' creatures, all of which have two kickers of the opposing colors of the main.

R Cycle: The Bloodfire creatures (already known: Dwarf); also now are Bloodfire Kavu (2 damage) and Bloodfire colossus (6 damage)

U Cycle: Whirlpool creatures (already known: Warrior); also now is Whirlpool Drake, changes unknown.

Desolation creatures (already known: Angel); also known now is Desolation Giant (also supposedly black), which destroys all other creatures you control when it CiP and has a GG kicker that instead destroys all other creatures when it CiP.

5 Sanctuaries, no details known at all on these.

Yawgmoth himself does appear in the art of at least one card (unknow which), and is NOT human. Unless you consider most humans to be 40 or so feet tall and be rather fangy.

Major Storyline Jobbers:
Gerrard does indeed DIE. So does Urza. Karn recieves Urza's Staff and becomes a sort of Planeswalker with it. The Weatherlight enters its final incarnation, and now has the Legacy Weapon which it uses to smash a whole lot of Phyrexians and channels pure white mana into Phyrexia. What happens after that...?
Spoiler end.

A

arhar

I'll be the first to say: WOW!! Finally we will get to witness the greatness that is Ineffable... I hope Phyrexians win!!!

P

Purple_jester

Finally. Urza dies. So does Gerrard. All we need now is for Mishra to come out of this mess alive and kicking, then we're in business.

But there's still no explanation as to what Karn has to do with the Legacy Weapon. We'll have to wait until some nice guy on the CPA buys the novel and writes up a synopsis. (Hint, hint, hint.) ;)

K

krichaiushii

With Karn being a pacifist, it stands to reason that he will do little with the weapon beyond safegaurd it "until the stars are right", or somesuch nonsense.

But if he waits until the stars are right, maybe he's saving it for Chthulu?

Cateran Emperor -- will there be an artifact known as the Re-volver?

Sorry...

N

NeuroDeus

So it's really the end... Urza, was the main character for the whole story together with Gerrard... geekish...

M

Multani

krichaiushii: I've read the Invasion novel and somewhere in the book, I remember this quote. "For you Gerrard I will kill." Or something like that.

Keep in mind, the reason Karn became pacifist in the first place is because of a trick Volrath played on Karn. Maybe after all this time, the implications of that trick are wearing off...

K

krichaiushii

Multani: I have not read the novel, so I will take your word for it.

Does this mean if the old Pacifism card with the Karn artwork is played in the "logical" Magic variant discussed in the "How do you Terror a wall?" thread in the deck section, it is automatically countered, due to Karn not being a pacifist anymore?

C

Cateran Emperor

Bring that back to the variant thread. I've explained that a *LOT* of times already.

Z

Zadok001

They're dead! The old fobbing freaks are DEAD AT LAST! (As you may or may not have noticed, I am one of the anti-storyline nutcases.) Thank God! I only have to live through one more set full of inane Gerrard and Urza quotes trying to make themselves seem intelligent. And, joys of joys, the single interesting character (IMO, of course), Karn, moves on, kills some stuff, and ends the plot once and for all! Thank God!

And Yawgmoth appears. Oh, goodie... :) Let's hope he looks like a Tiger from Black and White. That would be amusing.

S

Salacious Crumb

I hope, for no specific reason, that a bunch of yotian soldiers attack everybody, and the yotians rule the world!:D

Hoipa

D

Duel

Second the motion!

Go forth, and tap no more!

Personally, I'm upset that they're killing off Urza, because I remember him from when he still was the warlord who fought with his brother Mishra, but the new Urza deserves to die....

C

Cateran Emperor

Note to anyone with a line to WotC who is reading:

If you're going to make a continuing storyline (and I hope there is a new one), please make it keep with the feel of a game called Magic That means no more battlemechs or cyborgish things. Artifacts should be some sort of enchanted weapon or talisman, not a supercomputer or some sort of techno-nuke weapon.

The Weatherlight was cool at first, but by the time Urza's Saga hit and it became apparent that we were going to be stuck with non-medievalish stuff for quite some time, that was the point when the story started to be too much.

Now, back to everything else, WotC has put up it's official Apocalypse press release here:

http://www.wizards.com/News/pressrelease.asp?20010430a

D

Duel

Second the motion!

Since when did goblins get mettalurgy? I like goblins whose idea of an arms race was a longer stick.

V

Vasco_da_Gama

I don't think the story is bad per se, but it could be heaps better. Ditching Urza and Gerrard is a step in that direction. Ditto on the ditch the mechs sentiment ;)

P

Purple_jester

There's no reason for artifice of that caliber to exist in Magic. It ruined the initial flavor built up all the way to Mirage Block. Golems, automatons and other artifcts are okay so long as they're kept colorless. But when you start making black creatures into artifacts... well that's going a little too far. Keep the witchcraft, demons and undead theme, please.

On a side note, I still think that Yawgmoth is really an organic-metal Thallid. Come Apocalypse, I'm sure we'll see his mushroomy face. :p

S

Salacious Crumb

Why don't we all ask Thallid Ice Cream Man?
he might know:)
I like the mechs, by the way:)

Hoipa

M

Mikeymike

The mechs aren't so bad. They don't belong on the Dominaria side of the story but they totally fit with the Phyrexians. They're a race of remorseless monsters whose technology focuses on creating efficient & advanced killing machines. They are the perfect antithesis to the magic & majesty of Dominaria.

Besides, the art on Devouring Strossus was nuts.