Banned!

What do YOU think of the latest bannings?

• Better late than never.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's the worst thing they could have done.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • That's [i]all[/i] they banned?

• I couldn't care less.

• Total voters
C

Chaos Turtle

Banned in Extended as of April 1st, 2001.

Necropotence
Demonic Consultation
Survival of the Fittest
Replenish

Watch List:
-------------------
Force of Will

Discuss.

H

HumanError

I know I'm gonna get some flak for this, but I, for one, LIKE Necropotence. I think it's NEAT. It's good for black.

This disappoints me. This is disappointing like banning Dark Ritual was (and I swear they were on crack when they did that). Not really as disappointing. But disappointing.

Maybe Necropotence is really being a problem in Extended, but if Trix is the big issue, then why the hell don't they just ban Donate?

Come on, DCI, for once in your lives, ban the card that's causing the problems. Ban the heart of the deck, not one of the stronger support cards.

Like Recurring Survival...they got rid of Recurring Nightmare but it took 'em this long to get rid of Survival of the Fittest?

Oy...ban the cards that're making the obscene decks, not the ones that support 'em.

Poor Windfall.

R

rkoelsch

with all the bannings I wonder if the format is worth playing.

M

mpgsheep

In a way, this could be an extremely good thing for the extended enviroment. Trix is dead, Survival decks are dead, Replenish is dead, Pandeburst is significantly weakened, and all decks lose one of the most powerful search cards. I think then, what we will see are a variety of new decktypes, that take advantage of the slowing down of the environment, which will hopefully happen with the banning of these 4 cards.
On the other hand, it could be said that these cards made the current extended environment what it is. Can anyone imagine the last year without Trix, Pandeburst or Full English Breakfast? This could lead to many people turning their backs on this format.
I for one think that they should now unban Dark Ritual. Without Necropotence, Demonic Consultation or Dark Ritual, black looks very weak in extended. Dark Ritual was banned because it enabled a first turn Necropotence. If Dark Ritual was now unbanned, this threat is no longer their, and Black Suicide could make a return

Michael

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm all for banning Replenish, as that card makes the least sense to me of any card in existence... I'm not so sure about Survival, but I suppose it is broken, so I don't have much of a problem with it. They probably should have just issued errata for Illusions of Grandeur instead of banning Necropotence and Demonic Consultation, but I can't say that I'm consurned with it.

Yay! No more Replenish!

They probably should not ban Force of Will now though. At its most dangerous it can stop a first turn attempt to set up an engine, but the most dangerous of those are banned now...

What they should do, however, is ban dual lands. The rest of Revised is banned (right?). They admittedly haven't made a large impact on Extended recently, but obviously the fact that they are overpowered enough to not have been printed in 4E (whereas stuff like Land Tax and Black Vise was) should indicate that they be taken out. Maybe this should not occur now, but when Extended changes to 5E onward (it will eventually right?), they should be banned.

H

Hellion

If they take out Necropotence in Extended, they should unban Dark Ritual or else Black is a dead color. Banning Cards like Survival of the Fittest and Replenish are good examples of DCI stomping down hard on combo-ish decks and I applaude that, I'm sure many other players do also.

With the main 3 combo decks in Extended more or less disabled, I think the banning of Demonic Consultation is rather harsh because even though it is a powerful card, it is rather balanced.

I'm sure many will question the banning of these powerful cards but anyway, I feel that the coming seasons of Extended tourneys will be much more interesting without the presence of these cards. Another prediction I have is that Extended decks will be more aggressive now eg. Sligh or White weenie?

H

HumanError

What exactly is the Full English Breakfast deck? Sorry, I don't keep up with .NET decks much anymore.

G

Gizmo

You swipe this crossbeam and BIGGITY-BAM - the whole stage comes crashing down!

No banning for Forsaken City? Are they mad?
Forsaken Stasis made all the other extended decks look like wimps, and yet they didn`t ban any of the cards for it. What`s up with that?

I

Istanbul

*coughcoughBargaincough*

Oh, look. They banned Necro. But Bargain isn't even restricted, neither is Academy Rector.
Hmmmm...

S

superguy

Actually, Bargain is banned... I think we're talking about Extended here?

I really liked Survival. So long.

A

arhar

I think we should give WotC a big THUMBS UP for this one. Great job, Wizards! Not only they killed the hated Trix, they also killed Survival and 21, that would sure arise as the new decks-to-beat. Wooooo! Now only if they'd unban Dark Ritual....

I

Istanbul

Let's say that you're in the Old West.
One guy is the fastest gun in the west. His name is Trix (much to everyone's collective mirth), and he blasts down all opposition he comes across.
He's got a few actual competitors that go by the names Rec/Sur and 21, but they're both second-string players.

An act of God cuts off Trix's left hand. "My Dark Ritual!" screams Trix. Still, Trix's best hand is his right hand anyway, so he goes right on dominating.
Still, the gods are angry...so, when Trix, Rec/Sur, and 21 are facing off, a huge earthquake swallows them up!

The dust clears...all is silent...
...and the fourth-best gunman, a quiet fellow named Stasis, walks on the scene. "I guess I'm the fastest gun in the west now!" he says, and begins mowing down all opposition...

---

I guess the point is that now, the next-fastest gun will become the dominant deck in Extended. And if we neuter that, the next-fastest will step up to the plate, until there are NO decks left.

A different solution is called for...we can't shoot ALL the decks, or there'll be nothing left to play...and nobody left to play it.

Killer Joe

Ya know, when the extended environment of tomorrow is Tempest & 6E on up, there will be killer decks then also, big deal. But you know what? 1.5 will be big and all the favorites will come back; Trix, "21", Tradewind-Survival, and then what!? I'll tell you what, they'll ban them again in THAT format, that's what.
So before any of yinz start trading your Necro's and Survivals to the unknowing, just keep them in your binder for a year or so and wait for them to come back. If you think I'm kidding, just take a look at how many cards the DCI unbanned last year, huh?
Personally, I was 'done' with T-S, I 've had my eyes on Three-Deuce anyways, it's still a good deck, even without it's arch-enemy around anymore.
From that dusty old 'Road to Tourneyland', this is Yellowjacket.

C

Chaos Turtle

That's pretty new...
Is there some reason Wasteland can't handle it?

S

superguy

Just an idea, anybody think that Secret Force or Fires can become pretty strong in Extended now? And I like dSurvival as a card, not the deck type.

F

FrigginRizzo

Seriously good times for Becky and her whole crew. Whoa, does this mean creatures are going to be good in Extended too? Gasp! Sligh, Stompy, Slivers, Secret Force, White Weenie, Three-Duece, Jank, etc = it's all good.

On a side note, how bad does Michelle Bush feel for getting Dark Ritual, Mana Vault, Consultation, AND Necropotence banned, and Force of Will watched?

John Friggin' Rizzo, waiting for Sutcliffe to yell at me

Killer Joe

We'll just have to wait for Darwin to write another article for her (ouch, that hurt).
If Force of Will DOES get banned, it will be an extremely interesting time for 1.x

BTW,

Dear John,

Love your articles and have been asked many times during the Study Hall I monitor what am I reading that makes me laugh out loud and disturb the quietness of the room. Thanks.

Mark O.

A

Apollo

Wow. That format just got turned on its head. I agreed with the Necro and Consult banning. Replenish probably deserved the boot, too. I'm sorry to see Survival go, cause FEB was such a fun deck. But it was most likely best for the environment. But what is Forsaken Stasis (other than the obvious) and, as CT said, why wouldn't Wasteland handle it?

Just as an odd thought, Verdant Force would be a fun answer to Stasis. You'd never get it off, of course, but it would be fun.

D

Duel

Why not? Secret force is one of the best decks in extended, now!

Decks to cheer for:
Secret Force
Buried Alive
Jank
Slivers (I LIKE them, okay?)
STOMPY!

Z

Zadok001

Hmmm... Well, FEB is still intact, albeit transformed into a TW deck. Really, TW may be quite strong, still, since it can take Stasis apart, and usually beats aggro decks too. Oath will be a challenge, I'd love to see what THAT turns into. :)

Really, I think the next step to a balanced Extended is waiting. This changes everything, and new decks WILL develop. Once they change around the format, THEN conclusions can be drawn. Life might even be vaguely competetive!