new. need help

P

Pillbug

i still dont understand the concept of magic. can anyone give me the new rules and how to play the game. And how to mkae a good deck with molimo. that's my favorite card.

M

MrXarvox

Whoa now.. that's a tall order..

I can tell you, a good deck based on Molimo would need a lot of lands and land fetching cards.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Xarvox is right, stuff like harrow, rampant growth would help in a deck based around molimo

H

Hetemti

Buy a 6th (or wait for 7th) Edition 2-player game. Inside is a nifty rule book that explains all the rules you'll need to play the included cards, and will give you two simple decks to start with. You really need someone who can play to show you first hand, since the games neuances don't translate to paper. Just don't buy anything "Starter." It's so watered down you'll just be relearning everything when you try to play with real cards. You can probably find one at Toys-R-Us. It's green, says Magic Sixth Edition, and has an angel on the box.

(Aside: The angel pictured is the 6th edition Archangel, but only the Chinese print. The US 6th is the old one by Quintin Hoover. Go fig. The two rulebooks inside picture the angel again on one, and an Elvish Archer on the other...maybe that pic will crop up someday.)

Also, try finding old bookstores or Electronics Boutiques. Sometimes the'll have a few old tournament packs behind the counter. Get a few. They have little tiny rulebooks that can explain everything. There were major rule changes with 6th edition, so some things aren't correct anymore, but you'll at least have some background and a basic understanding of how things work. And when you've read through it...go to the index and look up "Loop, Continuous."

D

Deadman

Woah, you need to learn how to play magic?
How much do you know so far?
It'd be a bit difficult to explain the entire rules through a messageboard.
You're better off asking somebody you know in person to show you.
If you know most of the rules, then it shouldn't be too difficult to teach you the rest.
What do you need to know?

F

fuzzy510

Yeah, Magic isn't that hard to get the hang of. But as it was said down below, DON'T BUY STARTER!!!! (It's banned in tournaments, and some of the rares are common in other sets.)

T

theorgg

You people might be a bit supprised, but I'd call 4-8 dollars for a Foiled, Alternate Art RHOX a pretty good idea. Though the other cards are not very good, there IS a CD game that comes with it that is a really good game and will walk you through the first part of learning. Since the "mass market" approach didn't work too well, you can usually find the Starter "game' that includes a "Free CD Rom" for at least half off what they originally costed.

It has a picture of a Rhino on two legs wearing armor and holding a club. It isn't as good as having a teacher with three years experience teaching teaching you, but It's not bad for a Human-on-computer teaching. It also has an entertaining .avi file on the disc, too-- and it'll show you what the "set" was suppose to do originally. The vidio is a scripted version of two people playing Magic. It introduces Lands(which the thing contains quite a few of, a good thing) and creatures, along with sorceries and how to pay for 'em and attack w/ 'em. Then it has for demo games that are on disc that get quite a bit harder as you progress(by beating one after another)

Your essentially paying at most $10 for a really good green card(that would probably go well in your molimo deck) and a CD that will teach you the basics(and get you a screensaver if you can win 'em). It also comes with some land and a few 6th edition cards that are legal. Not nessissarily really good, but decent enough for a beginner.

Also- one of the useless cards in the thing is called "Trained Orgg." If you do perchase the Starter game, I'll send you a big stack of commons(a pound or two, however much I can afford to send with postage) for it.

ALSO on the issue of Starter: ONLY buy the package I discribed. other Starter products(boosters and "starter games" that don't feature the Mutant Rhino) are NOT a good perchase. Buy the equivilant 6th edition product.

Also-- Good luck, and visit here often.

P

Pillbug

Umm, I'm not close to any shop that sells cards. i have some cards that an old friend of mine gave me, but never explained the rules to me. He only warnd me that I should nevr 'tap the manna when I don't need it". I have no cluewhat he meant by that. seeing that i tsill don't know anything about this game, except that i want to learn how to play

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

he meant that if you tap your lands when you don't need to pay for something like casting cost or activated abilities or upkeep, the mana will be free floating, and if you don't use it will mana burn you, dealing you damage for each 1 mana you don't use

H

Hetemti

If you can't get out and find someone to teach you, search the internet for the Microprose Magic RPG game. The demo should still be floating around somewhere. It's 35MB or so, but it's worth the download. It won't give you any rules help, and it's really old, but it will give you an opponent you can watch and play against using preconstructed decks, and it will force you to keep the phazes and turn order straight, something which is very important.

T

theorgg

Well, If you have 16-20 MBs of space on your computer, go to http://www.playmagic.com to find an abberated version of the Starter tutorial game.

I havn't tried that version out, but it should be the same as the one that you get with the "starter" game, just w/o as many features...