Calling on T2 "U/W Control" players!

Killer Joe

I read a Gabe Tsang article on Star City yesterday and looked at his deck list from PT Chicago, he mentioned that he didn't do well but that he felt U/W Control was still viable.
My Questions to you Dedicated T2 U/W Control players:
Is U/W Control viable in YOUR area, and, are you consistantly beating Rebels and/or Fires with it?

ME: I have dismissed several Fires decks but have had some problems with Rebels. I now have 3 Megeta's in my sideboard. I'm banking that these will help, alongside with Last Breath (for those pesky Ramosian Seargents), dealing with the Rebel deck.

I

Istanbul

Actually, I'm not having a problem with Rebels. Let them recruit all they want...Wrath wipes the board clean, countermagic keeps it that way. Millstones work for the kill.

What really mutilates me is R/B recursion. Squee and Pyre Zombie. I simply have no way to shut them down.

B

Bladefall

I always find that packing at least 2-3 Armageddons in your sideboard can really help against Rebels. If you destroy there mana base, there screwed. Then if you can use Rishadan Port to keep porting there lands everyturn you've got the game won. Hope this helps.

BTW: After you destroy there mana base Megeta there creatures :)

P

Purple_jester

I don't play UW control myself, but from experience, they've got to wipe the board of Rebels by turn 4 or they've got troubles. If you can maintain board control before you get whittled down past the panic point of 6 life, then you're fine.

A protected Story Circle works, as well as Teferi's Moat to a lesser extent. However, as these are enchantments, the anti-Fires metagame would promise that Rebels would be playing at least 2 main deck Disenchants or Seals of Cleansing, or the requisite 4 Wax/Wane for G/W rebels.

Here's a revelation. I've seen someone use 4 (surprise) Juntu Stakes. Don't laugh. It killed Fires because his opponent got to use his precious Birds and Elves all of one time. It killed Rebels because Lin Sivvi, Sergeant and Falcon got to search only once. This version of U/W control used 2 Blinding Angels, 1 Air Elemental and 1 (surprise) Sliptide Serpent. It also came with (surprise) 4 Glacial Walls in the sideboard. The only deck I've seen it lose to is Machine Head. Food for thought, huh?

N

Neil Rigby

Our team has had a U/W control deck built up for sometime now and in tournament play it has only lost 2 matches, 1 to mana screw and 1 to a deck designed to beat it (for a list read David Sutcliffe's (gizmo) article on starcity where he has given it as a bonus decklist).
In the Rebels matchup I think you are taking the right route by using Mageta because they have very little removal and what they have you can counter. The fires match can be very difficult but we have found that the insertion of CoP green in your sideboard makes it considerably easier.
Istanbul: The best way to beat a recursion deck like that is to become aggressive, the amount of mana they require makes it so that you only need counter a couple of their spells to give your Elemental time to go in for the victory.
Bladefall: Attacking their mana base is a good idea but Armageddon is not a spell that fits well in most U/W control decks as they require a lot of mana themselves.

Just some thoughts, and hopefully some advise :)

P

Purple_jester

A pal of mine runs a U/W with Juntu Stakes, Meekstone, and Story Circle. To supplement this host of enchantments, he also uses 4 Enlightened Tutors. His only creatures are Blinding Angels. He calls it "Flores White."

Heh. Go figure. ;)

Killer Joe

Guess what!? I'm going to go with Juntu Stakes in thee ol' sidebroad, er, um.... board, yeah, that's it, sideboard. :)
No, really. I'm doing pretty good against Fires, but I want Billy (the local 'Fires' player) to suffer an agonizing defeat due to this Artifact (he doesn't pack artifact removal, only Wax/Wane, he-he :)).

D

Duel

Well, I'm doin okay. My counter rebel is about 50/50 against my brother's amazing fires deck (I'm posting an article on why I think it's so good) but it's untuned.

My waters deck, with 2 stakes maindeck wins.... Unless, and sometimes even if he draws The Hand.

Oh, and aura mutation wrecks them.

Setup: He has a derm, a fires, 4 land, and an elf in play on turn 4, his derm has hit me for 5 already. I have 2 birds, a river boa, a forest and a plains. He casts Saporling burst, makes 3 4/4's, and attacks. I mutation it, and block the derm with the 5 1/1's..... Then the game slides downhill. I win.