Trading Policies

L

Landkiller

While not a post to trade cards, this is a post about trading cards.

So...whenever a new set comes out, what do you look for. How do you decide to trade for a card, or to trade a card away?

I always trade for four of any card that has the two words
"Destroy" and "Land".

But that's just me.
I also trade for random stuff. I try to get the "money cards" and trade them for decent playable stuff, in red and black. I try to get all the good red and black rares.

Sometimes I make decks that aren't red/black. But when I decide to, I usually have to trade for all the rares but a couple.

I also hate Foil cards. But only for one reason. They could have been normal cards. And then I wouldn't have to pay triple price to get them. I have been forced to trade for a Foil Rare because I needed it for a deck, and couldn't find an unfoiled version.

Also, when a common foil is worth more than a common, something is wrong.

I guess, if I could get my favorite card of all time in Foil, I would.

Foil Sinkhole, anyone?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, it looks to me like this could be of general interest to everyone. Should I move it to General forum?

N

Nyx

I don't trade very often. Not because I can't find cards that I want, I'm on my way to collecting the entire game, but because no one seems to want what I have to offer. I own over 3 cubic feet of Magic cards (I know because I had to ship them from California to Iowa and they fill up more then the two 1-1/2-cubic-foot boxes I tried to pack them into) and yet people can poke through my cards for an hour and find, maybe one that they're interested in. Or they'll grab my A/B/U cards and want to trade a masticore for a Time Vault or my Moxes. *sigh* And officially, I will trade away any card that I have more than one of, and I only "look for" cards that I don't have one of. I will trade nearly anything for nearly anything else though.

>Insert Shameless plug for a really great guy<
So when a new set comes out, instead of trading, I just contact a friend who does auctions on eBay and Yahoo named Mostly Mint Mike. I buy a copy of the complete set with two of each uncommon, double unsorted commons, and one of each rare. He charges about $80 after shipping for this on the second and third sets in a release and about $120 for the big set. This is not much different than buying a single box from the small sets, and less than two boxes for a big one. Then I buy a couple boosters to fill out my common mix, and I support my local comic shops by buying whatever singles I need for duplicate rares. Although my friends and I play with proxies so it's not much of an issue whether or not we have enough (or even any) of a card.

I've only had one good experience trading cards in the last four years. I met a guy in Fullerton California who also had a ton of the A/B/U/R/AN/AQ/LE cards and we broke out some really old school decks (I showed him my Blue Burn deck hehe) and traded for all the old cards. I neer saw him again and now I'm in Iowa. Other than that one evening I've had as much fun trading as a newbie would testing his deck against a PT finalist: "What, it's over already? I never got to cast anything!"

I have done some trading, especially when introducing new players to the game and I get them setup with a playable deck of their own, but I rarely get much good out of it for myself. When I'm lucky I get one card I really wanted and had a hard time finding, at a loss of five or six I didn't care about (like I said, try to get them a good start). So Ican't say as that's really a "good" trade.

[Edited by Nyx on 11-15-00 at 12:00 PM]

I

Istanbul

First, I have a standing rule: I will trade for Kezzerdrix and Purraj of Urborg. I currently have somewhere in the vicinity of 80 Kezzerdrixes (give or take a few), and about 20 Purrajs. But I won't trade high for them; they're $1-$2 rares.

Now, this is how I collect my sets.

I WILL buy boxes of the newest set (usually having saved up some significant fundage beforehand). Major sets, three boxes. Minor sets, one box. This will usually get me *close* to what I need.

Then, I look at the cards I still need, and form a need list. At this point, I start buying individual boosters.

AS SOON as I buy three boosters in a row and *don't* get a card I need for my set, it's time to start trading. I put together my have list and do things like Istanbul's Big Freaking Trade Post in the Trading Post area, trade at my local tournaments, etc.

I'm not above buying the last two or three cards for a set, but I will try to trade for them first. (I can't tell you how much of a headache Absorb was giving me, due to my $10 rule.)

As for some steady trading policies, here goes:

1. On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog...or a thief.

- This one is pretty obvious. Most of the people here, I know fairly decently by now, and can track down if need be, so I'm not too shy about simulsending. But if Joe Blow comes out of the blue and offers me a trade, I'm going to need some references.

2. Getting references from someone and not checking them is like buying a car and not driving it.

- The whole point behind getting references is checking them to ask other people what their trading experience with this person has been like. I can go yank 50 e-mail addresses off of the net without batting an eyelash, all of which I hadn't actually traded with. If you don't check references, it's the same as not having references at all.

3. People on AOL or with freemail addresses (hotmail and the like) send first.

- The SOLE exception to this is if the person in question has a pretty hefty reference list, and not only does the vast majority of them reply, but they respond glowingly about the person in question. It's all too easy to get onto AOL or Hotmail, do a trade, get the other guy's cards, and vanish out of existence, so caution is the watchword of the day.

4. Don't do trades you don't like.

- This seems obvious at first glance, but you wouldn't believe how many people are willing to do trades they're really not comfortable with. If you don't like the trade, don't do it! Suggest something else, or walk away. Nothing's worse than the sinking sensation of doing a bad trade and realizing it *after* the fact.

5. Have a have/want list ready.

- This is more of an example of etiquette than anything else, but it's a big one. Very little is more irritating than talking to someone, whether online or in person, and having them tell you 'oh, I don't know what I want'. It's a waste of your time and mine if I want certain cards of yours, go to the trouble of sending you a have list (or whipping out my card binder, if in person), and having you spend a long time perusing it only to decide 'Nah, I don't want anything here.' Know what you want, and know what kind of value you put on it.

6. Be realistic.

- Nobody wants to trade their Mox Sapphire for your Cursed Scroll, even if it IS signed. Nobody wants to trade their foil Rishadan Port for your Alabaster Leech. If you wouldn't do the trade, don't propose it to someone else. Doing so is the same as saying 'I know *I* wouldn't do this trade, but I think you're stupid enough to fall for it.' It's quite insulting, and very irritating. (If it's not TOO far off, I usually propose a different trade...but if the card he wants is worth twice what he's offering, I usually just walk away.)

7. We're all friends here.

- How you trade is as important as what you trade. Nobody wants to be told that their cardstock sucks, that they're losers for even trying to trade with you, etc. Don't be arrogant or nasty about your cards, and don't tolerate others being that way about their own. Heck, there's a local guy that could probably fill half of my want list for old cards without missing a beat...but he's a jerk about it, so I'll pass. I'd much rather deal with more pleasant people and *wait* for a while.

8. Be patient.

- This has two different meanings. In person, it means that if you want to trade with Person A, and Person A is already trading with Person B, don't just jump in and start clamoring for A's attention. It's really very rude to just interrupt transactions like that, especially if you're trying to trade for the same card Person B wants; that's called stealing a trade, and will make you NO friends. Over the net, it means that you have to realize that the USPS is the slowest form of matter in the universe, and can therefore take a seemingly inordinate amount of time to get the cards you want to you. E-mail the person you've traded with, keep in contact. Only if they refuse to reply and it's been two weeks since the trade went through should you start getting uppity.

9. Make sure you're on the same wavelength.

- Does the person you're trading with expect you to send first, when you think it's a simulsend? Do you both realize which cards you're trading, and what condition they're in? Do you both know what day the other guy is mailing? Communication is key, both in online trading and in person. If the card a person wants is in less-than-mint condition, and he hasn't noticed it yet, point it out to him. I've made more trading partners by sacrificing one potential trade in favor of ten or twenty trades to come later.

10. It's just a game, after all.

- Ultimately, even if a trade goes sour, it *is* just a game. Don't try to call the police (unless several thousand dollars worth of cards are involved), don't phone the person up at all hours demanding your cards, etc. Just publically post what happened (JUST the facts), resolve not to trade with that person again, and let it go. His trading record will eventually speak for itself. This is one area where trading in person is better; you'll have the card in-hand when the trade is over. But even if you find out later that the card's condition is bad (perhaps this person didn't read #9) and is therefore unplayable, don't go all postal on him. Just approach him calmly, point out the mistake, and ask for either cards to round out the deal, or your card back. And if he refuses, do basically the same thing; tell people what happened, JUST the facts, and don't trade with that person again. Such people usually don't last very long.

But then, that's just me. :)

Killer Joe

I kind of have a general 'rule of thumb'; I usually won't trade with anyone who isn't looking for a specific item. Trading for the sake of trading has been a waste of time too many times.
I keep a strict "Trade Log" (i started it way back in January of 2000). This log helps me to see trends in my trading behavior and/or learn from past great and not so great trades I've made like;
I once traded an Attunement(me) for three Pillages(his), I got the good end of the deal and then, there was the time I traded a Rishadan Port(me) for a Trade Routes(him), I lost bad on that one (in my defense, that trade was made in January).
I also let the person peruse my binder or rare box and let them pull out whatever they want, and then, I say what's for trade or not (I do this because if you start to say right away that stuff isn't for trade, they'll most likely end the trading session a.s.a.p.)
I never, ever use magazines anymore, my personal belief is; If it's important to me/you, then it has value!
I don't have a "Pet Card" that I trade for like Sinbad or Fire Elemental or anything like that, and foils are the enemy of the game (except, of course, for foil Islands and Forests).

T

Taysir

My trade policy:

If I don't need it, I won't trade for it. Period.

I always need Psychic Vortexes, Shard Phoenixes, and Licids. This list may include Meddling Mage soon.

I will not trade 5 cards for silly things like Rishadan Port.

I will never trade anything unless I think about it for at least five minutes. I have lost some good trades because of this policy, but I have stopped more rip-offs.

I will never, EVER trade during a round.

I will always trade off all my cards from a sealed deck or draft unless I need them or KNOW I will get at least $5 on ebay for them.

Every month, I will ebay all the non-t2 cards in my binder except for ones that hold special importance to me or ones that I think will be reprinted.

Following this policy, I have not been ripped off in over a year.

D

DÛke

...I first look at each card and make sure that I get all cards illustrated by rk Post. Then see which Black Sorceries have the word "discard" in them. All I do after that is put in the bit and pieces and get what I want from whom I want.