Big Bad Nasty

D

Daenen

I came up with a deck idea for putting really big bad nasty critters on the board as fast as possible. I can usually hard cast an Avatar on turn 3-4
1) City, Vamp Tutor for a Birds
2) Forest, Birds
3) Swamp, Tap out, Harrow, (1 mana floating), Harrow again (no mana floating), cast a Utopia Tree
Hmm, at the beginning of turn 4, I have 8 Mana available to me. And this is a bad thing, because?

Here is the deck
Big Bad Nasty, ver. 1.7
12 Forest
7 Swamp
1 Mountain
4 City of Brass

4 Harrow
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Utopia Tree
4 Dark Ritual

4 Vampiric Tutor

4 Avatar of Might
4 Avatar of Woe
4 Darigaaz, the Ignitors

The deck is pretty straight forward. It runs along the same concept as Wildfire. Get a lot of mana, then lay the smack down.

Tell me what you think, all help welcome.

Daenen

K

krichaiushii

As Darigaaz is Legendary, mightn't it be a better idea to only run 2?

Also, might Quirion Elves (though more expensive to cast) be better than Llanowar Elves, for mana balancing?

That's all.

S

sentinel

I agree that you should probably cut down on the Darigaazes, you could possibly add another basic land and another of the dragon ledgends.

L

Landkiller

As your entire deck is based around mana to speed fatty, you should avoid any vulnerability.

Try Vine Trellis, cameos, wild growth.

The non-creature mana ramps are much less likely to die, but are not lightning rods for removal.

Also, in keeping with the comparison to wildfire, a couple Global Ruin or Armageddon would lift the deck a few steps up. Especially since you already have a Tutor strategy, you may need only one.

Try Devouring Strossus, if you can hard cast the Avatars. Maybe it will do what it does best!?!

D

Daenen

Mind you, this deck is more for fun, and I don't really think that it will win any Pro Tours, but I hope that I can get a few laughs.

The idea came from Landkiller, actually. He suggested that I put in Devouring Strousus. The problem with that big bad nasty is that you need 3 creatures in play to insure that he can do enough damage to kill you opponent.

Oh, if there was only a way to pull creatures back from my Graveyard and put them into play!!

Wait a minute, what about Reya, Dawnbreaker? That insane 6WWW 4/6 flying Angel Legend that brings a creature back from your Graveyard at the beginning of your upkeep?!?

Mind you, this is in no way the best combo of all time, but it could work, concievably, couldn't it?

Well, this is my insane deck. Hope you all like it.

2 Plains
5 Swamp
12 Forest
4 City of Brass

4 Vampiric Tutor

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Utopia Tree

4 Wild Growth
4 Fertile Ground
4 Harrow
4 Dark Ritual

2 Avatar of Might (extra beef)
3 Devouring Strousus
3 Reya, Dawnbringer

The sad thing is, I can usually get a Reya out on about turn 4-5, and a Strousus on the next turn.