Do you remember the first deck you built?

G

Griffith_se

Hello,

Do you remember the first deck you built? I was going thru some of my stuff and found my first deck. This will give you an idea how short of a time I've been playing. anyways I thought it would be cool to look back and see how far you've come.

This was mine.

Land

10 Islands
12 Mountains

Aftifacts

1 Jesters cap
3 Grind Stone

Creatures

2 Fireslinger
2 Suq'ata Lancer
2 Viashino Sandstalker
2 Anaba Shaman
1 Shivan Dragon
3 Mana Riders
3 Zepher Falcon
4 Man-O'-War

Other

4 Shock
2 Disintegrate
3 Fireball
2 Lightning Blast
3 Unsummon
3 Boomerang
4 Counterspell

This might be a lame post, but I thought it might pretty neat to see some of Your first efforts.

Griffith_se

[Edited by Griffith_se (04-07-2000 at 06:21 PM).]

Z

Zadok001

Geez, you want a _decklist_? God, no. I started playing with Dark/Revised, I can't remember no stinkin' decklist! :)

But the basic idea was a Bruiser, a blue/black concoction, with plenty of midrange removal, light countermagic, and a few fatties (Fat Moji!). Fairly simple to play, but tons of fun. My best combo? Merfolk Assasin/War Barge. Shoot me now.

"And sometimes Royal Assasin/Icy..."

O

Ophidian

Man, my first deck was a 120+ card stompy. This deck SUCKED baddd! I really didn't have much of a collection at the time, and the only lands I had were forests. It won once, and I tore it apart to make the more economical (80 card) verson hehe.

G

Griffith_se

Nah, I don't expect you to remember the exact deck list. I thought some funny stories might come from your magic infancy, like reducing your deck size from 120+ to an economical 80, LOL.

Griffith_se

A

Apollo

well, technically my first deck was of course the 150 card "everything I've got" deck. My first real deck was a green weenie deck that was something like 100 cards. I always chanted "Greenie, weenie" in a monotone while playing it, though I can't for the life of me say why. The funny thing was, it was undefeated among my (admittedly new) play group before I took out some of the weenies in favor of "better" cards like Scaled Wurm.

Apollo

C

Cheewok22

My first deck was a mix of boosters and a black/red Mercadian Masques starter deck (I just started playing about 6 months ago...). It wasn't impressive in any way. Now I have 4 decks (Pestilence, Black drainlife/breeding pit deck, Red/Black deck[much, much better] and a Direct Damage Deck). I lost every game with my first deck but thanks to ebay and trading with my friend's huge collection, I've compiled some pretty good decks (still need some work though...).

U

Ura

I remember my first deck, it was a starter and 4 boosters all mushed into one. The cool thing is that I started in Beta so I had a Mox Ruby in the it.
The first actuall deck I built was a basic Blue/Red counter burn deck. Which I piddled around with until it evolved into a blue/white anti-creature millstone deck when Antiquities came out.
Ahh, the good old days of innocence in magic. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

It was red/green, mostly 4th with somw Ice Age(it had just come out). Man, I thought Shambling Strider was so good!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SHAMBLING STRIDER
4GG
Summon Strider
5/5
RG: +1/-1 until end of turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyhow, it was a red/green with a couple od Stone Rain, Thermokarst, Tinder Walls and Llanowars/Fyndhorn Elves, with a generous sprinking of Lightning Bolts...and a Fireball.
It was exactly 1/3 land (just like the 4th ed Rulebook suggested) and I did okay as long as I could get out a Strider....

S

supascrub

I started around revised and everybody had the same deck. Juggernauts, Dragon Whelps, Bolts, Giant Growths, Elves, Scryb Sprites, Kird Apes, Fireballs, and other cool stuff. My friend's deck was the best because he had a Shivan.

T

theorgg

My first big deck started around the scry with the guy sniffing of his sword on the cover.

On the "Killer combos" page, there was a combo with transmutation and shrink. I built a deck around theese two cards.
I think I have it on app...
hold on...

Nope. Havn't put it into apprintice, yet.

It had alot of faux passes--ten forests/ten swamps but only four transmutations, four rituals, and a pump knight and singir bat in black...
but I did get experience with Giant broken Growth...

and I found out that I didn't need shrink and transmutation to piss off a ball-lightning player... :cool:

T

The Magic Jackal

For some strange reason, I had 4 serra angles from when i started the game. I had an all white deck with balance, land tax, pikemen, and all that good stuff. Even though i didn't know how to use banding, the pikemen still made it into my deck.

A

arhar

Um, my friend has built my first deck for me, and he has played for a long time before, so that deck kicked ass. Here's the first deck (designed for multiplayer) I've built myself (not exact decklist in any way):

4x Urza's Incubator (for soldiers)
2x Coat of Arms (ditto)

4x Icatian Phalanx (not bad if you play it for 1 mana ;) )
4x Kjeldoran Phalanx (ditto)
1x Kjeldoran Skyknight (ditto)
1x Alabaster Potion (honestly, I don't know why I had that in there)
2x Intrepid Hero (still have 'em, still play 'em, still love 'em)
4x Metathran Soldier (yeah!)
4x Metathran Elite (unblockable if enchanted)

4x Favorable Destiny (for making Elite Unblockable :) )
4x Kjeldoran Pride (ditto)

4x Counterspells (hey I had blue in there didn't I?)
4x ARCANE DENIAL (The best counterspell in the multiplayer.... also was the hardest to get)
4x Memory Lapse (it's a Time Walk in a sense)

2x KJELDORAN OUTPOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no comment needed)
2x Soldevi Excavations (one of the best lands ever for blue)
some plains and islands (doh!)

Hehe, after I won a couple of multiplayer games with it some friends accused me of taking it off the Dojo, arguing like "Hey, you're playing Magic for 2 months, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW that the card like Kjeldoran Outpost exists?" God, I miss those days... :)

G

Gryphonclaw

Gee, this is a toughie.
See, I first played magic with another guys cards. This was around dark/revised, and he actually LENT me his collection for about a week. (About 200-300 cards)
This was back when they were worth about as much as a normal playing card.
I can't remember any of those decks, suffice to say, crap.
The first deck I made of my own cards was the starter pack and two boosters lumped together. I can't remember my first deck that I designed.
I can remember the first deck I played against a total stranger. Up until then I'd only played against my brother, I favored green, he favored blue. Me: speed/weenie/whatever. Him, countermagic/flying creatures/whatever.
We both had huge decks.
Then one day I went to the local game store and played a green weenie deck, featuring scryb sprites, ashnods transmogrant (for pump!), grizzly bears, and giant growth. I won that first game and lost the rest. For several weeks running.
That's about all I remember.

O

Ophidian

Man, Zadok, you're making me feel bad! I am using a merfolk assassin/war barge/power artifact deck right now.

"I'll give your nightmare islandwalk..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... my first deck... well, aside from the first starter I got which I played with (oh, I started around Revised/Dark) which had Sol Ring in it, my first constructed deck was green/red/white unintentional Highlander:

Serra
Shivan
Dragon Whelp
Sol Ring
Fastbond
1 each of the supporting Dual Lands (though I traded to get it up to 3 each
Ressurection
Kird Ape
Fireball
Channel
Lightning Bolt (I think I had 4 in there)
Disenchant
Birds of Paradise
Elephant Graveyard
War Mammoths (3 in there)
Deserts (2)
Black Vise
Ivory Tower
Might have had the Library of Alexandria, not sure
Regrowth

Other stuff, I'm sure... it went through various incarnations as I traded/bought to tune it. The original idea was the Elephants and Graveyards, I just thought that was cool, with other good cards thrown in. :)

R

Rathian

My first deck was a huge 150+ red/blue blast-countermagic deck with the coolest rare being a revised Braingeyser. Control magic and steal artifact ended up being my most favourite cards then. Especially fun as I mostly played in 4-player multi games.

Really miss the days when the word "sideboard" was unheard of :)

A

Almindhra

My first deck was black/white...I liked both of the colors, black more so...It had white/black knights...Hypnotic Spectors...And Senghir Vampires...I loved it...then I was told white and black don't usually go together...Which, kinda made sense...*!*...

I

Istanbul

I remember so little of my early days in Magic, so many years ago, just starting after Arabian Nights stopped shipping. (To this day, I have yet to open a single pack of Arabian Nights.)

But I do remember making a white-green monstrosity. Everyone thought white-green would be lame, until they played it.

I was forced to retire the deck in my playing circle. It was just too good.

D

Duel

Oh yeah. 137 card white/black gain life/drain life deck. I think it one once. I think.

S

Spaceman Spiff

ah, my first deck........*sleeping*.....
OH ya my deck um well this was before "cheap"
meant anything...so my deck was,(started around oh , fallen empires/the dark.)
i think i can remember most of it here it is

ball lightnings
witch hunters
maze of iths
icy manipulators
jesters caps
brothers of fire
infernos
shivan dragons
fire and brimestone
safe havens
enduring renewals