T1 Pandeburst (Gizmo, please look)

A

Apollo

I am participating in small, 10 person, type 1 tournaments at my local store. They're giving a couple packs of Invasion as a prize every week, so I'm hoping to pick up a lot of the commons and uncommons I want in the next month or so. It's mostly teens, so most people don't have the $50+ cards (except my Mox Jet), but they do have most of the other stuff. I wanted to make a Pandeburst deck, but since most of the card drawing is restricted, I figured I couldn't make a traditional one. Everyone there plays with creatures, so I figured a Comb-Oath version would work. Here's the version I have right now:

4 Pandemonium
4 Saproling Burst
4 Replenish
4 Oath of Druids
1 Anarchist

2 Attunement
3 Intuition
3 Impulse
1 Frantic Search
1 Brainstorm
1 Stroke of Genius
3 Force of Will
2 Seal of Cleansing

1 Mox Diamond
1 Mana Vault
1 Grim Monolith
1 Sol Ring
4 City of Brass
2 Volcanic Island
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Skyshroud Forest
1 Karplusan Forest
3 Plains
3 Islands
4 Forests
2 Mountain

I wish I could say that the number of basic lands is due to my fear of Blood Moon, but mostly it's due to my lack of Duals. I'm running quite a few lands, cause I'm afraid of color-screw. I actually had 29 mana sources until recently.

Invasion is legal in these tournaments (non-sanctioned), so should I use Fact or Fiction? Opt? The new Duals?

I appreciate any suggestions anybody has to offer. Feel free to tear the deck to pieces.

Apollo

D

Darsh

Mabye you should try propaganda (if its legal, i don't know type 1 restrictions or sets) for the creatures and some of the new duals and cameo's.

J

Jettaran

Your Deck looks great and yes I think that you should deffinately use the new duels. You should probably also use the lands which you can tap and sack for two mana. However your deck looks great.

D

Duel

How about doomsday? No, seriously.
look, with attunement in play, you dump doomsday. Draw 2 cards, and they WILL BE Pandemonium, spaorling burt, and you dump them, and you WILL DRAW REPLENISH.

Z

Zadok001

Black is the one color that ISN'T being played!

Looking at your deck, I'm thinking the new duals don't fit all that well... They're good, yes, but really, when you win, you'll have needed one Green, one Red, and one White mana. Not too hard to get.

The thing is, with the Duals, you can't cast your spells as quickly. On turn one, they're ok, you don't have a majority of one-drops. But as the game accelerates, you really don't want a Dual as your forth land, since it holds you from playing Replenish for a turn. This may not be too big a deal, considering your card drawing (you've got an excellent chance of getting the normal land you need), but it could be game-breaking once in a while. I think your mana base looks fairly solid, though perhaps Gemstone Mine could improve it a tad (or Reflecting Pool, or both), and the Duals may not be nessesary. And I _know_ they can hurt the deck's (Zvi term!) fundamental turn if you draw one at the wrong time.

G

galtwish

You'll have to be able to combo some decks twice, either due to disruption or lifegain, so here's my tune-up of the deck:

4 Pandemonium
4 Saproling Burst
3 Replenish
4 Attunement
1 Defence Grid
4 Intuition
1 Frantic Search
3 Oath of Druids
1 Anarchist
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Vampric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Force of Will
1 Misdirection
2 Duress
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Mox Jet
4 Mana Crypt (if you can, if not, add 4 Ancient Tomb)
1 Lotus Petal
4 City of Brass
4 Tundra (if you have them, if not add 2 Islands & 2 Plains)
4 Adakar Wastes (ditto Tundra)
4 Gemstone Mine

You need to reach 3 mana buy turn 2 (at the latest), and 4 mana the turn after, so Ancient Tombs or Mana Crypts are great. Sb would be like this

4 Pyroblast
2 Duress
1 Defence Grid
4 Seal of Cleansing
4 Academy Rector (Moat)

Good luck!

Erik

[Edited by galtwish on October 6th, 2000 at 01:39 PM]

G

Gizmo

Seeing as I`m specifically asked to comment I`m assuming that at some point I mentioned my Oath/Anarchist/Replenish T2 deck to Apollo. Or he`s psychic.
But I can`t really find much fault with Erik`s version, to tell you the truth.

See, that was helpful, wasn`t it.
:p

A

Apollo

I'm psychic, Gizmo. Honest. :)

I just played in the first of these tournaments, and it was incredibly poorly run. I'm very lazy, so I just played with the version I posted, but +2 Attunements, -Stroke and Brainstorm. When I get around to it, I'll make it more like Erik's version.

I got there, and there were 5 people (5 no-shows; BOOOO!). They decided it would go from 5:30 to 8:00. Off to a bad start already. That meant if I won 2 rounds, I won the winners bracket (they played double elim, not swiss), and 3 rounds wins the tourney.

So the first round, I get paired with someone with a 5-color control deck. This guy actually had Libraries and stuff, though no Moxes. Anyway, I won the first game quickly, Forcing the Replenish through. The next game took forever. He was mana-light, so I didn't concede because I was always one or two cards from a win (Turnabout, Force, Pyroblast). I found out they weren't doing time limits. If they were, I would have won easily. Anyway, he eventually stabilizes and I concede. So the next one takes even longer. I get him down to 5 with PandeBurst (he disenchants the Burst in response to the first token, so I make the rest and deal him damage in response). At one point, I Force through a Saproling Burst, and I will kill him with tokens. But he topdecks the Invasion artifact that costs 6 and lets you tap 6 and it to Tutor. He has exactly 14 mana, and gets a Disenchant. But he's tapped out, so I play another Burst on my turn, knowing he's out of Disenchants. But it turns out he has one Scour, and he gets it and I lose.

At this point, we have played one round and it is 7:45 (remember, no time limits). And the thing ends at 8:00! Know we're playing best of one (oh, joy). But I dispense with the next kid, who's playing Stompy, in 4 turns.

It's 8:00 by the time the other games are done. Since we have only 5 people, I'm know playing a best of 5 rock-paper-scissors match for a pack of Invasion:rolleyes:

Of course, I show off my rock-paper-scissors skills. I throw rock 4 straight times (nothing beats rock), and in a surprise move throw scissors in the dramatic 5th game. I win a pack! Woo-hoo!:rolleyes: But I get an Urza's Rage, and the thing only costs me a buck to enter, so all is good, I suppose.

I knew the deck would have some trouble against control/counters (I didn't expect to win the pre-sided game), so I wasn't surprised that I lost. I knew I oughta destroy Stompy and various other beatdown decks, and I won the one game I played against that.

Apollo

G

galtwish

Ancient Tomb should increase your kill turn by about .4 turns on average, while Crypt will probably be about .7 turns faster. It is a good deck, but my version runs off of turn 2 Intuition, turn 3-4 win. If you don't go with those 2 mana producers, you may want to add 2 more Duress and 2 more Misdirection, as well as Sterling Grove.

Good luck, and congrats on the mad RoShamBo skills

Erik

A

Apollo

Just shooting this to the top, so I don't have to move my lazy arse and find it.:)