How did you do at the Invasion Prerelease?

D

Darsh

Thought I'd open this up to see how everyone did and mabye hear about some of their matches and which cards were their MVP's. Also what would you have done differently when playing/designing your decks.

E

Elrond

I didn't do that well, I only won one round. I had fun though. One of the best cards that I got out was Armadillo Cloak, a common enchantment that gives a creature +2/+2, trample, and spirit links it. That card won me the round that I did win, and I got three of them(1 foil). I got Dromar(a dragon legend), and Verdeloth which will kick some major butt with my Verdant Forces.

A

Almindhra

I can't believe how well did...I went 4-1...I won 1/3 of a box...And there were over 100 people there too...I played mainly black, 14 cards, then white and a few red cards...The black cards had some abilities on them that required red, creatures and spells, so it worked out really nicely...The deck was 42 cards and I ran 17 land...It went so well, I'll tell you some cards that did it for me...

Black
*Firescreamer...Yeah, its 3B for a 2/2...but it firebreathes...Went good with my red...

*Soul Burn...X2B, to drain X from a creature or player...One of the few removals I had, but I like that it drained, and it saved me from a creature and from dying...

*Goham Djinn...5B...Expensive, yes...But its a 5/5 so long as black permanents aren't most or tied for most out there, then it gets -2/-2...But for 1B it regenerates...And regeneration is great...

*Urborg Skeleton...For a B you get an 0/1 that regenerates for a B...It also has a kicker, but I only played that once...Regeneration is so good...Chump block those fatties...

*Mourning...For 1B you get an enchant creature gets -2/-0...Ok you say...but for a B you can return it to your hand...I loved that...And I had 2 of them...

White
*Benalish Trapper, for 1W you get a 1/2 that has the ability to W Tap: Tap target creature...I cann't emphasize enough how cards like this are great...They are not spellshapers...No discarding...This creature is soo good...

*Shackles, for 2W you get an enchant creauture where the creature doesn't untap, oh, but also for a W, you can return the enchantment back to your hand...These enchant-creatures like this are really good...

*This Angel, I can't think of her name...I think her cost was 3WW...X Tap: Prevent next X damage blah blah or gain X life...I loved that...Use her for combat or at the end of your oppt's turn...

Red
*Thunderscape Apprentice...For a R, it has B Tap: Target player loses 1 life, that is so powerful...I love it...

Artifact
*Can't remember the creature's name, but it was 5...And it gained abilites if you control a basic land of any type...So I would have a mountain, swamp, and plain out...It turned from a 2/2 to a 4/4 first striker...I liked that...

So thats about it...Or, all I can remember for now...I had so much fun today...

Killer Joe

7:30 am-We leave for the 'Burgh
8:10 am-We arrive at the site only to find that we actually were NOT the first to arrive, there were already about a hundred folks there. At the days peak, there were about 350 plus, a new record for Pittsburgh.
10:00 am-We recieve our decks for registration and instructed NOT to read the cards first but to register as fast as you can so we can get started. No one did that, so the main event didn't start until like an hour later. Also, there was much crying when we swapped, not me though, I had a sucky deck.
First round- My opponent was David something and he was about 11 yrs. old. He was missing his untap phase and forgetting to draw and he even took 2 turns in a row (he attacked me and I took the damage and then he untapped and drew a card again, I let it go because I was going to drop anyway).
12:30 pm-I liked this "Flight" tournament. You get to do the main event all over again, cool. My deck sucked (not my cards, but my skill to build a deck). I drop after round 1 so I can draft!
1:30 p.m.-I draft my best deck ever, well, here's why: to my left were two college dudes trying to "defensive draft" (that's stupid), and to my right were two 12 yr. olds doing what....RARE drafting!!! (Bwahahahahaha!). So, as a result, I drafted:
5x Glimmering Angels
4x Razorfoot Griffins
3x Thrush Faeries
1x Samite Archer (Tim, in drag)
3x Armadillo Cloak (when you put Rancor and Spirit Link together)
The green Instant that's a FOG but better.
3x Wings of Hope
and some other support stuff
I swear, no one drafted any 'evasion' creature but me, and, as a result, I won "Draft #4" in Pittsburgh, a first for me (Yipee!) That took me until almost to 5 pm.
5 p.m.- I know I'd better get going home but out of the 6 of us, two guys stayed in the main event, oy!
We did a ton of trading and I now have 2x Squee's 4x Cowardice and some other random stuff I wanted.
10 p.m.- I finally get home and yes, I'm in the 'Dog House"! Should I tell about "States" comming up?
All-in-all:I love Invasion, and I realize why: It is soooooooo geared toward "Casual-Play", and NOT toward Tournament play, and THAT, my friends, is why magic will be around for a long time to come!
How did you all do?

H

Hetemti

2-0
2-1
1-2
0-2 :(

Those Djinns were awesome. Having pulled three and being able to use two in my deck got me most of my wins. Though, one was geriactric beatdown via a frikkin bird. Yea for evasion.
_____
2nd set (3 rounds)

2-1
1-2 :(

Woulda got a third of a box if it wern't for one thing...Smoldering Tar says "play this ability as a sorcery." I didn't read that. Had I known, I'd've won. :mad:
_____
While gathering cards for sale/trade, I got some of my favorite artist's cards, hoping one might show up. (No artist signings had been announced.)

During game one the head judge announced the arrival of D. Alexander Gregory. (!) I wish I had brought more of his cards, especially my other Bone Mask. Still, he was VERY nice and sighned ten cards for me, including two Scrolls and a foil Mine Bearer. A little later, after the main event when everyone was doing draft I went over to chat with him for a while. He had a box of Prophecy and a MM starter. He asked me what the average price for them would be. I said though retail on the PR Box was around $115, but usually they go for $75-$80. He wrote $60 on it. For the MM starter, $10 to $11 was about average. He wrote $4 on it. I bought it from him, and asked him to sign it. He did. :) Inside was Cornered Market, Cateran Overlord, and Two-Headed Dragon. (!)
...that's what I get for stating I'd never buy Mercadian.\

I challenged my friend and his 52 card deck (I told him to run 40...) against my MM starter. (!)
I cast the Dragon turn 6, he conceded.
_____
The land art in this set is pretty good.
I don't like, however, the wheat field Plains, the compost pile Mountain, the green turd Island. They are the worst looking lands since time immemorial.
_____
Overall, as is obvious, I had a great time. Only one bit of advice to all Magic players...

BRUSH YOUR TEETH.

[Edited by Hetemti on September 24th, 2000 at 02:36 PM]

D

Dead

I went 4-3 with a 5 color combo deck running on spirit of resistance!
MVPs were tribal flames, but only because in my deck it was 1R for 5 damage, smouldering tar because it got around damage prevention (ditto for thunderscape apprentice); 2 djinn (green and black) so one was working properly, and Heroes Reunion, which let me tip the damage race far to many times.
last game of last match i double mulliganed into a hand with 2 land, a cameo, a djinn and a quirion trailblazer. if i drew a land turn 1-4, i would win.
didn't draw a land, only got 2 boosters.
I also pulled a phyrexian processor from squee's lucky box for my green milling deck.
I'm doing a full report for a future midnight magic article to be posted here, deadnet, and anywhere else i can manage. dojo is doing a comp. to win a box for a good report, so some of you more creative types should enter!

G

Gizmo

5-2, 5th place but one of my losses by agreed so my teammate was guaranteed 1st place and we split the box. Without that loss (I won 2-0 when we played in a friendly) I was 6-1 and walked away with 14 boosters all told between what I won and got from splitting the box with Neil.

My deck:
MONSTERS
Vodalian Hypnotist (It`s half fish, half 'Stick' - a Fishstick!)
Sky Weaver
2x Benalish Trapper
Obsidian Acolyte
Benalish Lancer
Razorfoot Griffin
Nightscape Apprentice
2x Phyrexian Slayer
Alloy Golem
Galina`s Knight
Vodalian Zombie
(13)

SPELLS
Prohibit
2x Exclude
Probe
Dismantling Blow
Mourning
Do Or Die (*FOIL*)
Recover
Reckless Spite
Annihilate
(10)

Land
Ancient Spring
5x Plains
5x Island
6x Swamp

Bombs I got but didn`t use were Collective Restrait (terrible card in draft) and Verdeloth The Ancient. And I was really close to splashing Red because I got two Hanam Djinn and a Breath Of Darigaaz. I had a Tolarian Emissary in the SB against mass-enchant decks (but enchantments seemed thin on the ground).

MVPS:
90% of my wins were because the Obsidian Acolyte wrecked my opponents removal spells (everybody used black). But in other matches the Vodalian Hypnotist was an awesome card swing. Just the amount of Protection and flying in my deck made the difference and I had more removal than most people - Exclude and Annihilate were particularly unfair.

Oh, and Master Decoy was just as effective without his silly hat as he was in Tempest. What a guy.

[Edited by Gizmo on September 24th, 2000 at 06:48 PM]

T

The Magic Jackal

4-1: 9 packs

Mvp: Charging troll, armadillo cloak, and wings of hope, all gold!

I got a pretty decent r/w/g deck with a lot of 2/2 and 3/3 creatures. I had little creature removal (smoldering tar and zap were the only two :( ) and little controlling spells, so my stradegy was to go with the all out creature rush. Luckly, my opponents didn't have much creature removal either, so armadillo cloak brought the game home most games, with me beingat 30+ life. Crimson acolyte was great in a mostly red dominated field.

*NOTE* whallop should read: destroy and non-Rith dragon legend. It so funny when you see your opponents face when you whallop his dragon legend.

Funniest play of the game (made by my friend): I'll put armadillo cloak on your dragon legend. Now if he deals damage, I'll gain life!

P

Purple_jester

But I had to study (grrr....) :( Oh, well. I'm glad you all had so much fun. Just reading your posts gave me something of a vicarious experience.

Mindy, good showing! I hope you found some nice foils in your 12 boosters (1/3 a box, right?).

Yellowjacket, it's nice to know that all your waiting paid off. I just know I'm going to love this set as well.

Gizmo, I was worried you weren't going to have any fun. I'm glad you did, even though this was probably just another sealed deck/draft tourney to you. Am I wrong in saying that this set seems to be a good sealed deck type set? I know you profess that it will suck in Constructed, and you're probably right on that account. You found a Do or Die FOIL?! Some people have all the luck. ;) Enjoy that card.

G

Gizmo

Why go to a tournament if you aren`t going to have fun?

Hmm, it plays well in that all the cards do something special (there are no vanilla guys) so on that front it`s good for sealed. It`s an *enjoyable* set to play sealed in.
So long as you don`t mind playing games where you spend most of the time hoping to draw an answer to your opponents 2/2 Prot geezer that smashes all but 3 cards in your deck.

BUT

Sam Waller (top-4 European Championships) was in my Pre-Release as well and he was disappointed with it from a competitive point of view. He was under the impression that the Spellshaper and 'sacrifice' mechanics in MBC had shown that WotC understood how important it was to have something to do with your land other than play it (Sam agrees with me that if you open a Plague Wind in draft you would pass it on, not play with it because any land after the 5th you draw should be going into your Spellshapers not into play). The fact that there is NOTHING to do with excess land other than hope to pay some fairly meaningless Kicker costs as you topdeck the cards makes this a format where you can lose very easily to a mana flood, wheras you could defend a flood really well in MB draft because of the Spellshapers.

And as for Do Or Die. If you had listened to me during the day you would have noticed a sudden change in how I was describing it to other people who were asking my opinions (everybody races to ask my opinions of a new set when they see me, because I`ve got a good track record for spotting killer cards before they become expensive - ie we got our Ports and PWaves for £2.00 each).

11.12am: Do Or Die is so overrated - it`s just not even as good as an Edict!

11.13am: Hey, a spangly Do Or Die!

11.14am: It`s going to be one of the big cards in the set so I reckon it`s got to be worth at least £20 for a Foil one.

D

Dead

Do or die isn't half as evil as that the white one which pulls half your graveyard out- especially seeing as white now gets a new wrath of god too. One guy who beat me with verdeloth got his head handed to him by those two against someone else- all the creatures disappear, then half the white guy's stuff is back. Mean.

What do people think of the divvy mechanic as a whole? Can they push it further in the next set? I reckon kciker will be the main emphasis and go the way of buyback, with the option to pay kickers other than mana costs (card discard, permanent sac or life payment) plus some kind of artifact to reduce mana-kickers. What about the split cards?

E

ErinPuff

There was a prerelease in Philly??? Someone shoulda told me! ..not like I woulda been able to go, seeing as I have no money, sort of a lack of transportation, and lots of homework and other things I should do instead of play Magic.. but oh well. :)

D

dw51688

Was there a prelease in the Boston area? Does anyone know anything about it? I don't recall hearing about one. If you find out about anything that has to do with invasion in BOSTON, please post it. Hmm, I never heard of one from anyone. Well C'est la vie

Q

Qetu

Im spanish
here in Madrid i couldn't play the prerelease coz it was full!!! only 100 players

but i remained there ...

and i got home with just a card: lobotomy