I need advice, dear fellow Magic players...

R

Rando

I'm poor, let's get that out of the way.
I have no children, but I have lots of pets.
My wife and I just bought a house, and she just went back to school. OK, there is the background info...

I can not afford to buy any new cards. I am used to getting at least 2 boxes of each set, but money's tight now.

So here is the thing...

Do I trade/sell off my duels and moxes and such to get new cards?

I never play classic or extended, just type II when I go to tournaments, so they will not be missed in that light. But they would be missed.

Oh, the humanity! I can not decide what to do, so what do you, the reader at home think?

H

Hetemti

I'd gladly take them off your hands...but I only have fourty bucks to spend...not enough to fuel a two-box-a-set addiction.

Hell, I'm working on getting a box, period.

Just remember, the moxen and duals will only last for two years of Type II max. A (mox) diamond is forever.

Then again, if you aren't gonna use them, they are no better than a pile of Coastal Hornclaws...which is what you get when you buy a box of Type II cards.

*"Ouch, I be perplexicated", says the left brain cell*
*"Quiet, you!", exclaims the right*

I'll trade you a pile of Hornclaws and Homunclausii for some Moxen and Duals, though...I sweeten the deal with Giant Growths, Bouyancies, and even your very own Blaster Mage, just for YOU!

F

FoundationOfRancor

It depends on how much you play.
If it was me, then I would go for it, sell em p9 (or whatever) and get some invasion! But not yet, wait for it, and see if the scene and the cards are fun and worth it. Also, have you looked into a computer? I know there expensive, and so is the net (NOTE: I dont know if you have a compouter or using a public one) but I mostly play magic online. Anyway, im babbiling, but I hope it helps

A

Apollo

If you sell off your Moxes and Duals to buy a a couple boxes of cards, you'll end up with a bunch of chaff you can't do anything with and a few good cards. Then, after not too long, you won't be able to play with the cards, but if you try to sell them you will get much less in return. If you do this, you will lower the value of your collection. It's not worth it, imho.

S

sageridder

Go the way of ebay.Type in uncommon set (######),or common set of (######).I got x4 common,and x4 uncommon set of prophecy for $21. Then just go after the rares you need.If it's to much of a pain,use the personal shopper option.

D

Duel

I wouldn't. the moxen et al will grow in value, and you don't need constant updates of cards. Besides, half of invasion is reprints.

P

Purple_jester

You'll regret it for the rest of your life. What of the value? What of the memories? What of the pride? You'll be getting rid of a piece of Magic history just to get Type 2 legal cards! Why? Try this:

Wait a while to see if your finances get better. In the interim, see what is really worth having in the new set. (Okay, in the case of Invasion, more than half of the cards appear to be worth having...) If you really need something, buy singles. They should be cheaper than slugging out for a whole box, though the trading option is there. If you DO need to sell something, then sell those cards which just recently cycled out. Sell your Masticores and Gaea's Cradles and Morphlings if you have to, but keep those cards most precious to you. One day, you're going to show your child what you've kept, and tell him: "Son, see this Mox? It'll help pay for your college education."

Think of it this way, you can always get new cards. When was the last time you saw a booster pack carrying a Mox? ;)

R

Rathian

Keep the duals and the moxen. They are cards that will always be useful and valuable as long as Magic exists. Every Magic player dreams of owning a set moxen (heh, except those that already have them).

However if money is tight, then the last thing you should do is sell them to get more Magic cards, right? Put it in the bank, save your money, don't blow it on a new set of cards. Besides, after the excitement has died down and prices level out, and you know what each Invasion card does, that'll be the time to go get the cards you want for your decks.

Killer Joe

I have two pre-school children & a wife, and we bought a house this time last year. I couldn't afford packs for drafting let alone buying boxes. To get there cards I wanted I did something weird; I made proxy's of the cards I wanted and put them in decks I wanted to build, this is called 'dream setting', kind of like a motivational incentive to get a look/feel/touch of what I really desired. Then, I sorted through my cards and rationalized which ones I could really let go of; 2x Volcanic Island, 1x Masticore, and other stuff like that. Since I narrowed it down to about 4 or 5 card types I wanted, it made my wishlist become more attainable.
I got what I wanted and only sacrificed a few of my gems. Had I not taken the time to narrow down the list, I still would not have the cards I wanted (Squee, Goblin Nabob and the likes). And, I still don't miss those gems.
Good Luck!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also in the same type of situation (more like the poor part, but it applies all around) and I haven't bought a box since Stronghold.

Do I miss yet? A little. However, I guess it helps (!) that I don't have anyone really to play with anymore anyways.

I'm trying to get Apprentice so I can resume playing online, but as for actual cards? I think sagerider's advice was the best: see if you can pick up sets of the common/uncommon for cheap and/or go for the cards you KNOW you want to have (no use filling up the chaff binder!) :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I mean the binder that holds ten billion of a card and you think SOMEDAY you use them in a deck but never get around to it because you find there's better cards/versions for the effect you want :D

i.e. Pearled Unicorn

R

rkoelsch

I only bought a box of cards twice. 1 fallen empires for $40(boy are they cheap) and 1 Tempest for $70.(had some extra money) What I have decided to do personally is this. I have decided to concentrate on what I play. I am trading red-green and black cards for blue white and artifact cards. I no longer am trying to complete sets. To me it just isn't worth it anymore. I really only play in the winter too many things to do in the summer. So I had to be realistic. It is a game I love but it is only a game. I think this will work for me. I have only made a few trades but I have an Avatar of Hope, 3 Jewelled spirits 2 Copper Leaf Angels and several uncommons and commons including some foils.

As far as the P9 and duals go. i wouldn't hold on to them because they will increase in value. It has been a couple years since they have changed price. It is my opinion that they have reached a high mark. I don't think they will go down but any increases will only be cost of living.

D

Duel

on the other hand, t2 rares will DEFINATELY go down when they cycle out....