Pitching an Idea to Wizards of the Coast

M

mythosx

Hey gang. I recently have developed two ideas for Magic related products. I wanted to pitch the ideas to Wizards of the Coast and I was wondering how to go about it. Does any one know where to start?

D

DarthFerret

I also think that a lot of what you need to do may rest with 1 simple question. Are you wanting to take credit/payment for your idea? If so, then you need to make sure that you protect your interests in it. If not then I would do what Spidey suggested.

E

EricBess

You say "magic related" product. Are the patented ideas? Are you hoping that they will market your idea or are you wanting to license? Licensing is probably an easier sell, but you need to have a lot of capital and be able to show a business plan. If you want them to market your ideas, then you should probably contact Marketing or Brand.

I don't think you would get very far contacting Rosewater unless you are talking about things for the game itself. Since you say "Magic related", I'm assuming that is not the case, so Brand and Marketing are better options. If you are unsure who to contact, start with customer support and they could help you contact the right people.

Don't set your expectations too high, though as they are unlikely to do much with outside ideas unless you can really sell them on why they should be interested. And definitely do something to protect yourself as DF says. The easiest way would be to seal your ideas in an envelope and take it to the post office to be certified. I don't remember the exact process, but this will demonstrate that it was your idea prior to speaking with WotC, so if they try to run with it without giving you credit (doubtful, but you never know), you can demonstrate that you gave them the idea. Ideally, you would patent the idea first, but that is a far longer and more expensive process.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I meant ask the question to Mark Rosewater as he reads most of his emails and could probably give better advice of how to go about it (if he chooses to answer). Actually, I assume most of the WOTC guys would be helpful - I just chose Mark because he's been there the longest and has worn the most hats :)

I didn't mean he'd be the one to listen to the ideas, although he might be, you never know... but from the volume of mail he gets, I'm sure he gets tons of them (I think he's said that before). But a question asking what to do if you had ideas might get a response that actually telling him the ideas.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If you're pitching a "lima bean" based mechanic, don't bother. I already suggested that and they released the hounds on me...... through the phone, even......

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

EricBess

Spiderman;283601 said:
Sorry, I meant ask the question to Mark Rosewater as he reads most of his emails and could probably give better advice of how to go about it (if he chooses to answer).
Yes, that makes sense.

M

mythosx

Thanks guys.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head Eric. It's not a mechanic. It's a related product that I would need to get liscenced. I'm not trying to pitch mechanic ideas, and I understand the problems with that. But I am trying to pitch a related product that enhances the game expeirence that would require a license.

I will try to email mark rosewater.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Once your idea becomes a big booming success, make sure you provide us with "beta" copies. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man