Mercs and Rebs.....future?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Do you think Mercernarys and rebels are gonna be in future sets? Fading WILL be in planeshift so who knows? Your thoughts?

D

Dark Horse

I would almost definitly say not. Fading was a cool mechanic, and by no means broken, cept for the lizard with acne. It is possible that some weak rebel non searchers will be present, but not definite.

Y

Y The Alien

1. How do you know that fading is gonna reappear?

2. Mercs/Rebs were likely a "block" think, as likely to reappear as Slivers and Licids are.

C

Cateran Overlord

Mercs should be given another chance, they never got the chance to be as popular as the damnrebels, even though they seserve it more.

Fading will probably be in Planeshift mainly beacuse the storyline sounds like it calls for it (it's the reverse of Nemesis basically, where things are now going to fade OUT of Rath, as opposed to fading in from Dominaria.

I see no reason they can't print more Rebels and Mercenaries, but it won't happen in Invasion. Maybe they'll go back to Mercadia after that (please?), as we never see the end result there and the Cateran Guild is hardly out of the picture. After all, what else could happen in Dominaria and Rath after Apocalypse(dear god not more Phyrexian techno-magic idiocy. The technology vs. nature thing is getting old, the Phyrexians are really out of place in the setting, but then I just hate the fact that artifacts have gone from being swords and amulets to such insane things as Phyrexian Colossuses and Predator, Flagships. Oh who cares, the airships can stay, but drop the rest of the whole thing and go back to actual fantasy stuff)

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Ha ha ha. :Dances his happy dance. Passes out anti merc/reb pies to all in attendance:
Those were both block mechanics. They will dissapear like slivers and shadow. Yippie I hate both those types of bastards. Mercs and Rebels SUCK.

A

Apollo

Welp, I'd say we're kissing the mercs and rebels goodbye :D

Apollo takes a big bite of some of the pie.

As for fading, I'd guess that was toast, too, as they were both block mechanics. Unless, of course, Rancor has a very good source. Fading won't be in there just cause of the storyline; they don't make cards just to make the storyline guys happy, except for the Legends. The card-makers don't care what the storyline is; if it's a block mechanic, it's toast.

And I hated the Mercs and Rebels, just cause I thought it was a rather lousy mechanic. It lends itself to large creature stalls with both armies getting bigger and bigger, until someone finally draws the game-breaker (Reverent Mantra, for example). The Rebels were way over-powered, while the Mercenaries were very weak (no offense, Overlord). The whole thing wasn't much fun, IMHO.