T

The Real DM

Just for curiousity's sake, I figured I would ask.

Why aren't there any avatars on this board? I looked in the user CP to edit them and there is no such option.

Any specific reason? I'm sure there is but I am probably just dumb to it.

:)

Thanks

J

Jigglypuff

God no. Avatars are only acceptable when they are done tastefully. I've been on certain boards where members are allowed these obnoxiously large avatars that screw up the table formatting in unacceptably awful ways. In most cases, the table stretches itself far off to the right of my browser window, forcing me to scroll left and right when I actually want to read their damn message. No. Terrible. The only use of avatars is to provide a visual guide for the quality of your post. If your avatar goes farther down the screen than the text of your post, just hit the Back button and save us some time.

And don't even get me started on images in signatures. Most of them are so damaging to the eyes it's unbelievable. Taste, people, taste! God, if I have to look at one more Frankenstein-image, formed by smashing together a zillion unrelated screencaps from some crappy anime, I will scream. See, this is why piracy is bad. It allows these people to obtain Photoshop when they normally wouldn't have been able to, which allows them to assault our eyes with these monstrosities.

(- Steve -)

L

Limited

Amen to that brotha!

I am in favor of Avatars, as long as they are standard size (small). That way, its just an easy way to identify who the posted before you (i am too lazy to read the name right above it :D) but a signature shouldn't take half an hour to load and multiple movements to scroll past it..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have to agree. The sites that allow avatars are so hard to follow the threads that I stop reading half way through it. I small one under the user name would be OK...... One of the things I like about this board is that the content is more important than the look.

N

Nightstalkers

quite frankly it's all about bandwidth and preference. Larger boards like the ones you find on Gaia Online and gamespy usualy encorporate them to allow for users to personalize their otherwise nonotonous profiles. If you want to start using avatars on these boards the next thing you'll be wanting is to be able to use the

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I kind of like avatars. But almost all forums I've used that have them enforce a size limit. Otherwise you get someone whose avatar stretches the page and it becomes ridiculous.

Images in the sig, though, are stupid. Sometimes, someone posts three or four words, which didn't add anything to the discussion anyway, and then the sig takes up more room than an average post would on this forum. That's just obnoxious.

N

Nightstalkers

lol, like mine....

Anywho... yeah... size limitations on avatars and such are usually the norm. Forums like Gaia Online get around that by providing a doll-like figure to really minimize the space consumed.

O

orgg

Ed Sullivan, the webmaster and formerly chief developer for UBB(the board software) pays for this site out of his own pocket and the kindness of his heart. He doesn't even play Magic anymore, nor read the board as far as I know.

Avatars would triple the cost or more.

Get avatars, lose the CPA.

I'll take the CPA.

N

Nightstalkers

And besides, this board has been up longer than most usual websites mainly due to the good graces of Ed Sullivan to keep it up. In most cases a board dies and the original webmaster usually leaves the board to fall into the internet abyss.

T

The Real DM

Thanks for all the info guys. I was just a bit curious but the reasoning definately makes sense.