question on regeneration

K

K1

Ok, all you rules lawyers out there, time to strut your stuff :)

How does regeneration work under sixth edition rules?

If my creature would die due to lethal damage, and i regenerate it, does my creature still do its damage to its blockers?

Please explain exactly how this works, and a reference web page or something would be nice too. My roommate and I have a huge dispute on this.

D

Dune Echo

Uh... YEAH! Just like they used to. No change there. All regeneration does is put a creature back at 1 toughness after it has been dealt lethal damage. I don't have anything official, but that's how it's always worked. Now, instead of the damage prevention step, you can regenerate the creature as many times as you want. It will regenerate and thus tap every time it receives lethal damage from that point on. Each time you pay to regenerate a creature now, it creates a damage shield that activates on receiving lethal damage. Hope that clears things up. It seems that your roommate is confusing the old tapped blockers deal no damage rule with regenerations tap effect.

------------------
Dune Echo

... and no, the Waylay ruling and Thawing Glaciers ruling don't have a damn thing in common. A lot more people like me whined in favor of Waylay!

Ferret

Staff member
From what I heard you can use the regeneration ability any time to a creature. It just prevents it from dying (and of course, taps it) if it received lethal damage. I actually had that happen when I played someone recently. I was annoyed at how it works. I always liked the idea of tapping my opponent's last swamp before attacking so he couldn't regenerate his Wil'o'Wisp after blocking, but now his opponent can just pay for regeneration early...it's become incredibly powerful.

-ferret

"...stupid VIth Editions rules..."

T

theorgg

the real way regeneration works is like damage prevention. whenever you create a shield, the shield will regenerate the creature from destruction, if possible, or leathle damage untill of end of turn. HOWEVER, if the creature has receved leathal damage, such as combat damage resolving, it cannot be regenerated. you must put the shield on the creature before damage is resolved.
<cracks egg>
any questions?
;)

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

K

K1

Thanks for all your replies! I think I get it.

I thought the creature still does its damage, but my roommate was pointing out the "If the creature is regenerated, (if it is in combat) it is removed from combat" phrase to say that it didn't

S

Spidermage

Actually if the creature is dealt lethal damage after being declared a blocker, but before damage dealing (like with Shock) it is removed from combat before it deals damage. But if it is dealt lethal damage in combat, then it still does its damage to the creature it blocks. The same applies to an attacking regenerator as well...it all comes down to whether the lethal damage resolves before or after combat damage is dealt. Then again, everybody I play with still uses fifth ed. rules anyway lol

K

K1

alright, what exactly does
"removed from combat" mean?

Does remove from combat = does no combat damage?

D

Dune Echo

Yes.

------------------
Dune Echo

... and no, the Waylay ruling and Thawing Glaciers ruling don't have a damn thing in common. A lot more people like me whined in favor of Waylay!

T

theorgg

no. removed from combat does not mean deals no damage, exactly. If a creature regenerates due to lethal combat damage that is not first strike, it has already delt it's damage. the removed from combat means that it is treated as it never attacked, similar to maze of ith. for example, if a horned troll took on a grey ogre, the troll would regenerate and the ogre die. however, replace the ogre with a white knight, and the troll is not in combat to deal it's damage to the white knight due to the combat damage being prevented by the "first strike" ability under sixth ed rules.(it prevents the normal combat damage if the creature is not in play when normal damage resolves).

this is long and complicated, but e-mail me at theorgg@hotmail.com .

btw, do any new members here have icq?

-theorgg

C

CthulhuDragon

Actually you are incorrect on two points. Removed from combat simply means that from that point on that creature is no longer in combat. Secondly, Maze of Ith does not remove from combat. Last ruling I heard was that the creature is still in combat it just does no combat damage and is untapped. Therefore things like lure, and basilisk abilities would still work.
Also for those that mentioned it, remember a regeneration shield does not tap the creature. It will only tap if it is actually regenerated (ie dealt lethal damage). We have had many arguments about that one.

T

theorgg

I said SIMILAR TO maze of ith.

and I forgot about mentioning the shield not tapping.

as for web reference, try wotc's website. you may find an online rulebook.

-theorgg

K

K1

Thanks for all your replies! Basically the dispute arose when I blocked his Juzam with an ancient silverback and regenerated the silverback. No other spells were played. He claims the Juzam lives. I claim it doesnt. Looks like I was right. :)