Casually Abused Leviathan

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
A few of the judges I work with and myself were disussing a way to use Leviathan effectively... well at least entertainingly. Here is the deck I came up with. It's main focus is Flinging the big boy at your opponent.
What could I change/add/delete, I think I need something to be able discard the Leviathan. And the Coffers may not be that good. maybe another way excellerate the mana.

4 Leviathan
4 Appentice Necromancer (can't get this to work, see below)
4 Bloodshot Cyclops

3 Animate dead
3 Corpse Dance
3 Dance of the Dead
4 Fling
3 Shallow Grave
3 Buried Alive
3 Demonic Tutor
4 Soulblast

4 Badlands
3 Cabal Coffers
3 Cinder Marsh
6 Mountain
6 Swamp

Apprentice Necromancer Creature - Wizard [1/1] 1 (4) Urza's Destiny (Rare)
B, tap, Sacrifice Apprentice Necromancer: Return target creature card from your graveyard to play. That creature gains haste. At end of turn, sacrifice it. (The creature may attack and tap the turn it comes under your control.)

BTW- props to KJ for some of the cards (mostly the fling idea)

D

DarthFerret

Any card that has a Force-Of-Will type alternate casting cost would work. By discarding him that way, you could get him out on the same turn or the next, not chancing someone catching on when they see a blue critter in a R/B deck and nixing him from the G'yard before you have a chance to use him. (what I would try to do anyway...).

C

Cat Quinten

Try putting in some putrid imps. Aslo, you may want to look at reanimate cards that do not remove your creature from the game at end of turn. I'd suggest exhume, but your opponet will get a creature too. Also try putting in one or two browbeats they can realy help.

L

Limited

First of all, @DarthFerret, FoW removes the card from the game so you won't be able to reanimate it.

Now, In a deck with only ten swamps I would not play three Cabal Coffers, especially when you don't need that much mana. Its not like you are ever going to cast a Leviathan..

Next, Soulblast? I understand you want to emphasize on the Fling theme, but wouldn't Grab the Reins be a lot better?

Next, I think you are overdoing it with the reanimation spells.. You are already playing corpse dance, so that should give you enough late-game options.

i like the Apprentice Necromancer a lot though! It would be even more useful if you played more creature with cips or random fat. (its really good with the Corpse Dance, because it lets you rearrange your graveyard)

I like the suggestion for Putrid Imp; its a solid creature and you need a discard outlet..

Fling the Monkey .. er.. Leviathan said:
Creatures (24)
4x Apprentice Necromancer
4x Aquamoeba (*Great defense, unlikely to be blocked*)
4x Gravedigger (*Card advantage! Let's you reuse the Necromancer*)
4x Leviathan
4x Ninja of the Deep Hours (*Card drawing and combo's well with Corpse Dance*)
4x Putrid Imp (*Discard outlet and fits well with the Ninja*)
Spells (12)
4x Corpse Dance (*Your main spell: this is what it is all about!*)
4x Fling (*removal*)
4x Grab the Reins (*double removal*)
Lands (24)
4x Badlands
4x Island
2x Mountain
6x Swamp
4x Underground Sea
4x Volcanic Island
(Personally, I would have combined Leviathan with Dimir Doppelganger, so you attack with it once without having to sacrifice two islands ... wait a minute..

GetYourLeviath-on!.dec said:
Creatures (30)
4x Apprentice Necromancer
4x Aquamoeba (*Great defense, unlikely to be blocked*)
2x Dimir Doppelganger (*Its a finisher and you only want to play it when you have a full gy*)
4x Gravedigger (*Card advantage! Let's you reuse the Necromancer*)
4x Leviathan
4x Man-o-War
3x Nekrataal
4x Ninja of the Deep Hours (*Card drawing and combo's well with Corpse Dance*)
1x Phage the Untouchable (*Just for laughs*)
Spells (7)
3x Corpse Dance
4x Compulsive Research
Lands (23)
4x Dimir Aqueduct
8x Island
7x Swamp
4x Underground Sea
Whatever)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest the old favorite to get expensive creatures into play: Sneak Attack. Especially if you're Flinging him.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I like the Imps and Grab the Reins is much better that SoulBlast
But I wasn't looking to add blue to the deck.
I think the gravedigger will go in too.
The reanimate cards won't get to RFG the Leviathan's since they will be sac'd for something.
Sneak Attack....... hmmmmmm, not bad

Thanks for all the advice..... now if I can find 3 more Leviathans.....

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
But I wasn't looking to add blue to the deck.
But, dude, Leviathan is blue! Seriously, don't you want add a little blue and a couple of islands just to have a chance to attack someone with a Leviathan? Just so you might be able to say: "I hardcasted a Leviathan and beat the living **** out of my opponent!"

Edit: I've been censored!! First time ya'll! **** yeah!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
But, dude, Leviathan is blue! Seriously, don't you want add a little blue and a couple of islands just to have a chance to attack someone with a Leviathan? Just so you might be able to say: "I hardcasted a Leviathan and beat the living **** out of my opponent!"

Edit: I've been censored!! First time ya'll! **** yeah!
Actually, I like the idea of playing the Leviathan in a deck with absolutely no islands....... Hahahahahahaha.........

"I set the drag on my fishing rod and smack you with this big fish I've hooked"

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
OK, I have revamped the deck a little.
Let me know if the imps are really worth it and what do I replace them with?

4 Leviathan
4 Kokusho, the Evening Star
4 Bloodshot Cyclops
4 Apprentice Necromancer
2 Stinkweed Imp
2 Putrid Imp
4 Sneak Attack
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Fling Instant
2 Dance of the Dead
2 Animate Dead
4 Badlands
2 Blood Crypt
4 Rakdos Carnarium
5 Swamp
5 Mountain

M

Modus Pwnens

Lightning Axe is a nice way of removing some creatures, while getting a large critter of yourself to the yard, ready for some animation

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wow Lightning axe is cool.

Is there any else like Sneak Attack? I looked but couldn't find anything.

The way this thing works now is that by turn 4 i need Fling, or Sneak Attack and 1 big creature to start the pain.... I use the tutors to get, Sneak Attack, big creature or land if needed.

What else can help me get the pieces into my hand?

M

Modus Pwnens

Flash works, or the "Enter the ..." from the kamikawa block that is used as an alternative in extended (reveillark/body double combo).