What is this "repack" of which they speak?

O

OneEyedMan

Not sure where to ask this, so here's as good a place as any, I guess.

Was wasting time looking through the links, and found the ABU repack page. What exactly is this whole repack idea? Is it actually worth the money? I could pick up 2 boxes of repack boosters for the price of one normal box, but if all the decent cards are removed, it may not be worth it. I'd hate to spend money on a Kamigawa repack only to find that all the good rares are already pulled.

Anyone have any experience/luck with repacks? From ABU or anywhere else?

-J

N

Nightstalkers

Repacks are basically ways for your players and distributors to get rid of their crap rares. They'll throw together hundreds of these things with their crap rares mainly tossed in, and then have about 5 packs that actually have something worth gettin' in it.

3,000 repacks with a chance to get a P9 in a pack still gives you only about a .3% chance of gettin' anything. So why bother?

O

orgg

Some more 'professional' places will sell repacks that duplicate the print runs of commons and uncommons of a set for the purpose of practicing limited events; if they have rares at all, most of them will be average rares that arn't picked highly, as those are the rares you'll have the most chance of seeing in a draft. Bomb rares win games, but using them in your practice sessions just throws off evaluations of the actual 'good' cards.

L

Limited

You should only buy repacks if you wan't to practise your drafting skill; and I wouldn't pay half of the price of a normal box.. it should be a lot cheaper

O

OneEyedMan

Well, here's how this came about. My wife and I have a tradition of picking up a booster box of each set that comes down the pike, but due to personal issues, skipped kamigawa entirely. We have all of 2 boosters of kamigawa each, thirty cards total.

In order to get a decent selection of commons and uncommons, and a few rares, we can either pick up a booster box repack of CoK and Bok for a total of about $60, or buy the new ones for about $180. Actually, that's about a third of the price, I guess. I'm debating whether to do that to pick up our stable of commons and uncommons, and then just pick up rares as we need them, or whether this is a Bad Idea.

We don't play FNM, since our schedules get crazy, and we've never done a full on draft, we just collect and play with a few friends and each other. Getting a P9 isn't up on my list, but getting a good selection of utilities is. I can always proxy in that four Chrome Mox if I really need too, although I may be sleeping on the chouch later...

-J

O

orgg

Full common and uncommon sets should be less than fourty dollars on Ebay for recent sets.

4x uncommons should be about fifteen, and commons should be about six; then factor in a good bit of shipping, and you've got about fourty bucks for both. Much less than the sixty that doesn't even guarentee you'll get four-of-each.