Killer Joe

This is for Multiplayer or Dueling (non-sanctioned):

Treefolk
Creatures
4 Blanchwood Treefolk {4G} 4/5
4 Redwood Treefolk {4G} 3/6
4 Yavimaya Scion {4G} Protection from Artifacts 4/4
4 Cradle Guard {1GG} Trample; echo 4/4
4 Rowan Treefolk {3G} 3/4 (Portal: Second Age)
4 Wall of Roots {1G} Defender (Mana producer)

Support
4 Spidersilk Armor {2G} Enchantment Text: Creatures you control get +0/+1 and may block as though they had flying.
4 Land Grant {1G} Sorcery (Forest tutor)
4 Rancor {G} Enchantment - Aura Text: Enchanted creature gains +2/+0 and has trample
4 Naturalize {1G} Instant

Lands
2 Treetop Village
3 Tranquil Thicket
4 Temple of the False God
11 Forest

There were an aweful lot of Treefolk at 4G cc and these were the only ones I could find. Most of these cards have never seen the light of day. I was trying to stay in the "TREE" theme but I felt the Natiuralizes had to go in. The Temples have to go but I'm not sure what to replace them with, for sure another two Treetops as soon as I find some. I was thinking about replacing the Spidersilk Armor with Treetop bracers (again, because of theme). I couldn't believe I actually had 4 Rowan Treefolk and they're not bad at 3G for a 3/4.

Would you consider Saprolings fitting in the Tree theme? If so, what are some saproling cards?

My first draft had 1 copy of Overrun but it didn't quite fit the theme.

M

Mikeymike

Treefolk Seedlings (7th, UZ) might help clean up your mana curve a bit.

Yes, saprolings are definitely a sub-theme to run. See Nemata and Verdeloth, both excellent casual cards (with a lot of mana) and bomb treefolk. I'd also wager that if Multani, Maro-Sorcerer were printed today he'd be a Legendary Treefolk.

If you own them, Weatherseed Treefolk would be an improvement over the 12 existing 5CC trees in there.

Instead of Land Grant, I'd recommend Nature's Lore, Rampant Growth or Skyshroud Claim. This deck wants/needs mana acceleration, and Land Grant is really a tempo card. Plus the argument can be made that something like Rampant Growth fits the theme better (trees grow right?)

Blachwood Armor is another possible theme card, but I think Fists of Ironwood is better for a few reasons.

For replacements for Temple of the False God, I definitely recommend Gaea's Cradle if you have them, or Yavimaya Hollow.

Also, here's a Gatherer search on Green Saproling. Lots of stuff which could help clean your curve a bit (Night Soil and Scatter the Seeds come to mind).

Hope this helps.

Killer Joe

Yes, this helps. Thanks guys.

I will be going to the card shop next week and I KNOW they have these cards. I'll get two Might of Oaks, 1 each of Nemata & Verdeloth.

M

Mikeymike

Just another quick note on Night Soil, this card gains a lot of strength in MP, since it has a lot more targets to munch on, and can help deal with the Reanimation mage that is certain to pop out. On a side note, since you have no recur in your deck you can feel free to eat your guys as well. Its instant speed effect is another big plus.

J

jorael

Very cool deck. I just love it when some non-regular tribe sees some action.
Treefolk Seedlings look like a must-have. you could add Steely Resolve to protect them? Or, with enough mana-acceleration, Tribal Unity. That one might be less usefull, though.

Another way to make this deck it to add black. Then you can play Ebony Treefolk and add all kinds of other nasty black cards: Putrefy, Infest and the like (your creatures will survive it), Cover of Darkness (fear the trees!).

I really like Mirrorwood Treefolk, but then you'd splash 2 colors. But that way you couls also play with Rith's Charm (more saprolings) and Thornscape Battlemage. Maybe for another kind of deck...

Name Dropping
Gemini (May 21–June 21) This week is a good time to branch out and meet others, but don’t forget your roots. Avoid commitments and open flame.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure it's necessary, but I can't help but think you need some early defense in there while waiting to cast the Treefolk. What though, I'm not sure... the only green card I could think of is Sandstorm and the only artifact I could think of is Caltrops...

E

ElectroClash

keeping with the theme, a decent support card would be Tangle

Killer Joe

Wow! Lots of awesome suggestions. Early defense in the way of Wall of Roots which also acts as mana acceleration and maybe Wall of Brambles or Wall of Blossoms (not a tree but a close cousin in the way of plants).

I COULD add black but I just watched LotR recently and really am inspired by Treebeard and the Ents so I want to stay mono-green.

"Tangle", oh yeah, that's a bit nasty, I like it!