Set Idea: Vargas

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Vargas is a world whose technology level is around the industrial revolution. It is centered around the development of advanced manned vehicles as a technological breakthrough. There are two opposing sides: Those who see it as a boon, and those who see it as a threat to the environment and their economy.

The protagonist is Sabra di Corci, the daughter of a shipwright who inherited the first sailless ship made in Vargas, Stellaluna, from her father Vincenzo at the time of his death. She is highly eccentric, but highly intelligent. Think Cid the Fourth.

The antagonist is Randall, who doesn't use his surname. He is a logger whose wares and skills were cast aside due to the Vargas revolution, and he's out for revenge. He and his followers have been sabotaging the efforts of the movement by any means necessary. As for his group? Think eco-terrorism.

Mechanics:

Strategy (Enchantment Subtype)

Strategies can be played anytime you could play an instant. Whenever a Strategy comes into play, return all other Strategies you control to your hand.

Ex:

Under Siege 3R
Enchantment- Strategy

At the beginning of your upkeep, %s deals X damage, divided as you choose, among any number of target creatures and/or players, where X is the number of Vehicles you control.

Uncommon

Vehicle (Artifact Creature Subtype)

Vehicles are an umbrella type for high-risk, high-reward restriction creatures. All of them have another subtype, and most of them have the following mechanic:

Pilot X, where X is any cost

This is both a static ability and an activated ability.

The static ability reads "As long as ~ isn't being piloted, it loses all abilities except for pilot and can't attack or block."

The activated ability reads "X, return all creatures piloting ~ to play tapped: Remove a creature you control from the game. That creature is 'piloting' ~. Pilot only as a sorcery'

Ex:

Personnel Carrier 1
Artifact Creature- Vehicle Carrier
Pilot 1
3/2
Common

I will soon make an invision forum about Vargas, and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get from anyone who knows the set design process, so that this doesn't degenerate into Mirrodin 2, or worse: Upheaval 2. :eek:

J

jorael

Ah, now I know why this post is so familiar. You made the same one at Misetings :)

Personally I really don't like the atmosphere you describe. The whole flavor is just to resembling to real life. The game loses its 'escapism' value that way. Needs more fantasy elements.

It could become a very playable set, but I sure hope Wizards won't do anything like that soon...

L

Limited

When I first heard Ravnica was going to be about cities and professions (guilds actually) i was afraid it would be too "real" as well... but seeing the first art i was glad to discover emphasis to some medieval elements..
But words like "Vehicle" and "Pilot" really let go of the fantasy-flavor.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

jorael said:
Ah, now I know why this post is so familiar. You made the same one at Misetings :)

Personally I really don't like the atmosphere you describe. The whole flavor is just to resembling to real life. The game loses its 'escapism' value that way. Needs more fantasy elements.

It could become a very playable set, but I sure hope Wizards won't do anything like that soon...
http://www.getfreeforum.com/forums/index.php?mforum=Vargas&act=SC&c=1

Keep in mind that I already gave out most of my authoritah, but I might be able to secure a Minister of Storyline position if needed.

Limited said:
When I first heard Ravnica was going to be about cities and professions (guilds actually) i was afraid it would be too "real" as well... but seeing the first art i was glad to discover emphasis to some medieval elements..
But words like "Vehicle" and "Pilot" really let go of the fantasy-flavor.
In Vargas, technology is rather new, and it is threatened. By magic, in fact.