7th Edition

Z

Zadok001

Well, in case the rest of you have lives and don't constantly surf the Magic related sites of 'net...

MtgNews recently reported that 7th Edition is due out in Y2K. Here's what they stated on MtgNews:

"He also stated that they are making plans to release seventh edition in 2000 and he said that they are giving it a makeover so that it will be a lot more popular."

Well, this should give Baron and Ferret and Dune something to rant about. :)

(And, in the spirit of whatever season it is, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!)

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

D

Dune Echo

Bet your ass!

------------------
Dune Echo

"Civilization is a conspiracy to disguise the mutilation of nature."
--Skyshroud Creed

S

Spidermage

More popular, huh? Knowing WotC that probably means they'll be putting Pokemon cards in it :)

T

theorgg

LOL!

it probably just means that the cards will have black borders w/expantion symbols on 'em, and that foils will be avaible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-theorgg

A callow knight in armor,
Appropriatly brave,
Displayed his lack of wisdom
and charged into my cave.

He challanged me to battle,
In moments it was through.
He made a tasty morsel-
His horse was tasty, too.

-Jack Prelutsky,
"Ogrebrad"
published in Monday's Troll,1997 scholastic

Z

Zadok001

Nah, WotC has a wierd reprint policy. They can't reprint black-bordered cards with black-borders if they have the same art.

CPA Member

D

Daenen

This is to Zadod001.
That policy you mentioned? It's been changed. They can, and will, starting with Mercadian Masques, reprint old cards to new black boarder cards, with the old artwork. The only thing different about the card will be the expansion symbol.

Power does not corrupt. Power attracts the Corruptable.
-Bene Geserit teaching

Ferret

Staff member
I've already ranted on The Dojo's forums about this, but I don't mind repeating myself:

I get nervous when they say "more popular". It sounds like they're going to remove a lot of the cards no one likes (not such a bad thing) and re-reprint the overused cards that everyone HATES! I expect to see Cursed Scroll and Necropotence return in this set.

-ferret

"...the Pros have spoken and they demand their annoying cards back!"

S

Shadowfire

If they want to make magic more popular they need to do 2 things first. 1) get rid of the P game (just cant bring myself to say the name. 2) go back the rules of the old days.

just my thoughts

Ferret

Staff member
Actually, I don't mind most of the new rules, but I don't like the idea of tapped creatures doing damage, tapped artifacts still working, and people being able to do everything durring the end step when all they should be doing is discarding excess cards.

It's VIth Edition's card set that I hated. Oh well, maybe their R&D dept will fix everything in VIIth...

-ferret

"...and maybe they'll mail me an Alpha Power Nine set while they're at it..."

S

Shadowfire

I wouldnt count on it Ferret. They do some really crazy things up there now.

B

Baron Sengir

Sorry I've been so lax about coming here lately folks. I was thrown out of my school for Christmas break and unfortunately have no internet access at home.

If they bring back fun, good cards like Shivan Dragon, Serra Angel, Mahamoti Djinn or Sengir Vampire I'm all for 7th. Screw this 'playability out of a starter' bullsh!t. I want everyone who plays magic, from old-timers like Ferret and myself to newcomers like Ihsan's Shade and Dakkon Blackblade to never have to open up a pack of cards and be disappointed. I never want to have to blow three bucks on a pack of cards only to have my best card be a Corrupt Official or some crap like that. Lately, WotC has gotten in the habit of making some really good (in some cases too good) rares and a whoooooole bunch of filler crap. Granted they make some decent uncommons and commons (Rancor, anyone?) but look at Mercadian Masques. Not a bad set IMHO but there are a lot of cards that outright suck. Can someone please explain to me why the uncommons in MM are better than most of the rares?!?

Back on track. I want lucky number 7th edition to kick ass. Not just a little ass. I want it to kick a lot of ass. Crap cards like Chub Toad and Aurochs have no place in a set that for better or worse is what this game for the most part focuses around. Man, if the sets were truly balanced, those cards that are deemed above the never-explained 'power curve' would not be 'broken.' As I've ranted about a million times, in a set where Shivans and Mahamotis and Sengirs exist, Serra Angel is not a broken card. Neither are the others. Erhnam is a perfect example of what green is supposed to be good at. So is Lightning Bolt. If you make all the other colors better, then that one dominant color is no longer dominant. It's called balance. Maybe even 'playability out of a starter.' :)

Just my two cents. Thought I'd make it a dollar.

I remain
The Baron
"... but you know, Chub Toads do make neat little screaming noises when you burn them ..."

D

Dune Echo

To answer your question regarding rares and uncommons in MM, if the uncommons are the power cards of a large set and the rares are the unique or just interesting cards, then scrubs without tons of cash have access to the tournament level cards while not having to break 3 to 4 boxes. Also, in limited play, this arrangement allows for more cards to be playable straight from the pack. Personally, I don't mind. It benefits the casual player a lot and makes Masques more worthwhile.

------------------
Dune Echo

--Skyshroud Creed

I

Ihsans Shade

Baron- You don't truly beleive that WotC is going to do something that makes sense do you? I'm rrreeeeaaaallllyyy tempted to side with Spidermage, and say that they are adding Poke(*ggggghhhhhh*)mon cards in the set, after all, people are paying twelve bucks a pack.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade
The ultimate question in the universe is: What is the power curve?

B

Baron Sengir

Dune:

Good point. I also agree that MM is a pretty decent set, mostly in part to its brutal uncommons like Cosatl Piracy and Volcanic Wind. It's just a bit weird to me that there are so many crap rares in this set while most of the uncommons are pretty cool.

Ihsan:

If there's one thing I've learned through all these correspondences, from the days on the dojo to now, it's that WotC is definitely a company interested in making as much money as possible. This isn't a bad thing for them but it leads them to do some pretty mindboggling things at times. That being said, I thank the powers that be that the people who own Pokemon (Gamefreak, I think) would frown on WotC sticking their characters in a Magic set. The day I see a 2/2 Pikachu is the day I quit Magic.

I remain
The Baron
"Hmmm ... My little brother is adopting a signature remarkably similar to my own. God help me, I've created a monster ..." :)

Ferret

Staff member
Pikachu B2
Creature - Rat 2/2

When Pikachu enters play remove all other creatures in play from the game.

"Pika! Pika!"

-ferret

Translation: "I am the future; bow down before me!"

Z

Zadok001

T: Destroy all Magic players in the world.

AIIIEIIEIEIIEI!

CPA Member

C

ChasDen

Hello All,

One of the reasons why the uncommon and common cards are more powerful is for the “sealed deck’ format tournaments. In the fall of 1998 wizards of the coast R&D researched a way to make that format more appealing to the “Masses”. IMHO they have succeeded. Sealed deck can be one of the best forms of play and you can get some really cool cards. Have a wonderful new year.

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

D

Dune Echo

Hey, ChasDen needs a nickname! Anybody got any ideas?

By the way, I totally agree with what ChasDen is saying. It works and it's true. I dont' mind it at all either.

------------------
Dune Echo

--Skyshroud Creed

I

Ihsans Shade

Baron-Maybe they are making such crappy rares is because: The card sucks so bad that rather than make it common , and flood the place with it they make it rare and close the flood gates

Just a thought
Ihsan's Shade