Ohio Democrates challenging vote..

R

Reverend Love

Linkage here

While I understand their concern, and if there are irregularities then they must be investigated. But this is asinine, self immolation style. It reminds me of the late nineties during the whole Clinton debacle with the Republicans foolishly trying to impeach a popular president. It would certainly do the country some good to ascribe the same medicine for the donks as we did for the pachyderms . Two doses a day of "SHUT THE HELL UP AND MOVE ON!"

Killer Joe

Okay, let's just assume for a moment that the voting irregularities turn in favor of Kerry and he's now the technical winner. Do you really think Bush would allow that to happen? NOWAYINHELL, buddy boy!

Next!

HRC in '08

Ferret

Staff member
Yeah, that's one of things that's really annoying me. Sure, in 2000 we had that major recount in Florida. It took weeks to resolve and nearly tore the country in two. However, it was necessary as the gap was less than a thousand votes.

HOWEVER, in Ohio isn't the gap somewhere in the six figure range? I mean how many times does this need to happen? If everyone keeps screaming "I lost! I demand a recount!" we'll end up looking like the laughingstock of the world...

-Ferret

"Although, I believe Ukraine would be happy"

S

Senori

Why not?

I, personally, don't think that anyone is going to vote for the other candidate in the next election because a fringe group in that person's party decided to ask for a recount. And it's not really a waste of money- even if it doesn't change things, which it undoubtedly will not, the fact that there were such problems in the Ohio election merits at least some investigation so that voters don't feel disenfranchised.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Ferret
we'll end up looking like the laughingstock of the world...
Uhhhh...

*looks over at Europe and Asia, who are covering their mouths and snickering*

I hate to break this to ya, buddy...

T

TheCasualOblivion

Senori said:
Why not?

I, personally, don't think that anyone is going to vote for the other candidate in the next election because a fringe group in that person's party decided to ask for a recount. And it's not really a waste of money- even if it doesn't change things, which it undoubtedly will not, the fact that there were such problems in the Ohio election merits at least some investigation so that voters don't feel disenfranchised.
Umm.... Kerry himself called for the recount. Is Kerry a fringe group?

C

Chaos Turtle

He did? Then what does this mean (emphasis mine)?

From the article in question:
"Democratic leaders distanced themselves from the effort, which many in the party worried would make them look like sore losers. Bush won Ohio by 118,000 votes and carried the national contest by 3.3 million votes, and Kerry himself -- meeting with troops in the Middle East -- did not support the challenge."

The article isn't even about a recount. It's about a challenge to the electoral votes based upon perceived voting irregularities in Ohio. The "irregularities" were since determined to not exist, which of course is what investigations are for.

Would you not want to be certain that your vote was counted properly?

T

TheCasualOblivion

He had been calling for one before the actual effort, as had a number of prominent members of the mainstream Democratic party. Not being part of the exact movement that actually got the recount is just a semantic difference.

C

Chaos Turtle

Had he been? Or had he merely been supporting the effort to make sure every vote had been properly counted? Do you have a problem with votes being properly counted? Is making sure that votes are properly counted something that conservatives are against?

It was the Libertarian and Green Party candidates who called for and raised the funds for the recount. Kerry did file legal motions asking for Expidited Discovery and for the "Perservation and Augmentation of Evidence," one of those crazy things that people with a legal interest in a court case do.

Not being part of the movement that got the recount is not, by the way, a semantic difference. Whether filing motions in support of an already-underway movement for a recount is the same thing as "calling for" a recount would be an example of a semantic difference.