Randy Bullhead plays Nudgex2 and Winkx2.

O

orgg

Extended: We like to think of Magic as one game that can be played on two platforms. For that reason we have been very hesitant to separate the Online and Paper Extended formats, especially with only a little over a year to go until the formats are synched up anyway. If the environment becomes radically different on the two platforms, we're willing to separate the lists if we have to. However, we don't think that's necessary at this time. (That was a hint, in case you missed it.)

Time to dump those stocks of Clamps, I hear.

J

JSexton

You think so? I read that differently. "If it gets bad enough, we'll separate the banned list. Skullclamp isn't bad enough." is my take on it. I think they're more than happy to wait another year, when they come in alighnment anyway.

/me can't wait for Online Vintage.

I

Istanbul

I think that if they ban Clamp in paper, they will do so online as well.
And that if they don't ban it in paper, they won't ban it online either.

Does Clamp warrant banning? Obviously.
Will they do it? Only time will tell.

C

Chaos Turtle

I've not been following the Extended environment at all (or all that much Standard for that matter). Is Skullclamp really a problem in Extended? With Kamigawa around the corner, would it be prudent to wait and see how the environment shakes out before adding yet another card to the banned list?

Gods I miss playing Magic.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
After printing a particularly broken set, Exodus, WotC goes and prints an even more insanely broken block, Urza's. The next block was of unimpressive power-level as a knee-jerk reaction (the most exciting cards from that whole block are probably the fading rares like Saproling Burst and Tangle Wire).

After printing a particularly broken set, Scourge, WotC goes and prints an even more insanely broken block, Mirrodin. Of course the comparison isn't exact, but no one would expect it to be. Still, Scourge was the most broken set of its entire block and had some bombs that certainly rivaled the power of any of the best cards in the two previous blocks.

With Exodus it was undercosted/overpowered enchantments that gave the set a lot of its power. With Scourge it was mostly just the storm cards. But I no longer have any doubts that Mirrodin was the most broken set printed since Urza's Destiny, and, like the Urza's block (regarded by many as a horrible, horrible mistake) the brokenness just kept on coming with the next sets (not as much, of course).

Really though, the comparison doesn't yield much, except one important question. Will COK suck?

N

Notepad

Did you just say "COK" and "suck" in the same line? SHAME! SHAME ON YOU!!! :eek:

I don't think it will suck totally like poor Masques block did. If you take a look at the MTGNews spoiler, it looks like a set with decent commons so far, tending to lend themselves more towards limited. Looks like Limited will be spirit-heavy, as they recycle each other. :D Seems like it will be fun, and quite broken. Be prepared to tear your hair out in annoyance.

COK looks to be annoying at the very least. Not totally crappy. Time will tell if its powerful or just average in constructed.

C

Captain Caveman

I think WoTc has done pretty good since Urza Block. They've only made three "bad" mistakes, I.M.O. The Mirrodin Artifact lands, Darksteel's; Arcbound Ravager and Skullclamp. Overall that's not a horrible record.

CHK Block looks very interesting. New "creature" split cards, the Spirit recyclers and the Arcane trigger. It should be a fun block. 60 legend cards might be kind of hard to build around, I guess we'll see.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know what "CHK" would be...

Let's see, since Urza's block...

Well, Wintermoon Mesa and a host of other such cards. Cards don't have to be too good to cause problems. Bad cards tend to piss casual players off more than good cards...

I would say the biggest mistake was going with themes for the blocks, like we've talked about earlier (been going on since Invasion). I'd call it a bigger mistake than Urza's block, even. But it's a different discussion.

Invasion's split cards. I don't know what they were thinking there. If they had leftovers from Unglued, bringing them into a real set was a bad idea. Unfortunately, one such split card is not only playable, but actually very good.

Fact or Fiction. It's not as crazy as Urza's block cards, but it could at least have been sorcery speed.

Planeshift for sucking even more than Masques block.

Psychatog.

Cabal Therapy. This thing should have a picture of an Academy Rector wearing an explosive vest and laughing maniacally...

The Onslaught fetchlands have had repercussions beyond what anyone expected.

Legions is one of the worst sets ever. It might be even more horrible than Homelands.

Storm is unbelievable. Did they ever test ANY of the Storm cards? None of them are horrible, except maybe that dragon one. But most of them are acceptable at least. However, broken is not even an adequate term to describe Mind's Desire. You mention they artifact lands, and they might be cute. But Mind's Desire is on a whole different level. It can easily be compared to the best rares from Exodus/Urza's block. What could WotC have been thinking there? Dream Halls was an absolutely massive mistake, and then they go and make a new version of it that has synergy with MOXES! And that doesn't even cover Tenrils...

Chrome Mox, and after Mox Diamond, I would have thought they learned their lesson. Once again, WotC forgot about Stronghold completely...

Trinisphere. Stax wasn't doing well enough, so they printed a special card just for it!

Goblin Charbelcher isn't the problem. It's Dark Ritual, Goblin Recruiter, Land Grant, ESG, Mana Severance, and all artifact mana, right?

Mindslaver is the worst idea since the win condition cards started coming out. And even at ten mana, the mechanic is too powerful...

Affinity. Yeah, that was a great idea...

Darksteel Colossus. Why? What conceivable reason could there be for that?

Arcbound Ravager. And right after Affinity had proven itself to be too good.

Skullclamp is pretty broken too...

Crucible of Worlds. But at least this one doesn't look as dangerous on the surface. In retrospect: put one next to a Strip Mine and then look at it again!

Door to Crap. I'm glad I don't get booster packs any more...

Auriok Salvagers. Black Lotus didn't just go away...

Trinket Mage sure looks like it could be good with the last cards I mentioned (Lotus and Salvagers). Oh look, it's doing very well in Type I tournaments. How was this not going to be the obvious outcome?

Eon Hub. Well, nothing much has happened yet. But just wait for it. I love this card and wish it really were broken...

Krark Clan Ironworks. Ashnod's Altar, but for artifacts. It will probably never be as overpowered as other, more broken cards, but it's pushing the envelope...

Plunge into Darkness is a tutor that eats your life and gives you the power to gain more life. It's not dangerously unbalanced now, but it sure is good.

Night's Whisper, well at least black finally has some cool card-drawing power that's not restricted. It's proven itself as a nice engine and will probably only show up in more decks.

But I think they have learned somethings. COK won't be as underpowered as Masques block, or at least I don't think so...

C

Chaos Turtle

See now, I prefer to draft, so from my point of view, every set since Invasion has been great.

And frankly Oversoul, I think you're being just a bit too harsh. I disagree with most of your assesment, with the exception of Psychatog/Fact or Fiction (and/or Upheaval, whch I'm surprised you didn't mention) and the bulk of your list that seems directed at the Type I format, about which I don't care. I understand that many people do care, but I don't think that keeping an inherently utterly degenerate format from becoming even more utterly degenrate should be a major concern in the development of cards. It's just too much trouble for such a small segment of their market.

In my opinion.

N

Notepad

I think Oversoul's rant was right on. He nailed a lot of the problems.

In fact, I would add one more, which you touched on, CT: Limited Pandering.

Every single set is now designed with limited in mind. Sure, drafts and sealed decks can be fun, but it is outright evil to say "oh, this whole section of the set is designed to be used ONE TIME ONLY!"

What good are cards that have one use? In constructed, a lot of cards since Invasion block, especially commons, have been terrible. Yes, they slip in some cool stuff like Wild Mongrel, but they also slip in crap for "limited only" like Aven Trooper. Too much crap, actually.

It would be nice if they could somehow make a set that didn't have so much draft chaff in it. Maybe a non-limited set. Whoa! Now there's a new idea, eh? Make packs and sets designed for continued use, where you can play the cards more than one time against other people who are opening packs just to immediately play with them. Yeah, constructed players exist. Many of them would like to get X direct damage and good countermagic and decent creatures at common level, not uncommon and rare.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Chaos Turtle and disagree with Oversoul and SeFRo.

First, let's not cheapen the word "broken". If a card is banned like Skullclamp, it can be called broken. If it's restricted in Type 1, it could be called broken. If it dominates a format which portends it being put on a list, it's broken.

Out of all of those cards Oversoul listed, probably 3-5 fall into those categories.

The rest could be termed merely "strong", but let's not mix personal dislike with objectivity, like Door to Nothingness. :rolleyes:

Exodus had a few strong-to-broken cards but nothing to Urza's Block. Scourge with Storm? Give me a break... if all you can do is count ONE card, you definitely need to look at Magic again.

Yeah, sure, some of those cards which you listed could show up to be strong in the future, in which case you can tell me "I told you so". But until then, with the current facts and history of the cards in decks and format, get off the "this card/expansion is BROKEN" without backing it up that it is indeed, overwhelmingly broken and not list one or two cards from the format which you may not particularly like.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
I agree with Chaos Turtle and disagree with Oversoul and SeFRo.

First, let's not cheapen the word "broken". If a card is banned like Skullclamp, it can be called broken. If it's restricted in Type 1, it could be called broken. If it dominates a format which portends it being put on a list, it's broken.

Out of all of those cards Oversoul listed, probably 3-5 fall into those categories.

The rest could be termed merely "strong", but let's not mix personal dislike with objectivity, like Door to Nothingness. :rolleyes:

Exodus had a few strong-to-broken cards but nothing to Urza's Block. Scourge with Storm? Give me a break... if all you can do is count ONE card, you definitely need to look at Magic again.

Yeah, sure, some of those cards which you listed could show up to be strong in the future, in which case you can tell me "I told you so". But until then, with the current facts and history of the cards in decks and format, get off the "this card/expansion is BROKEN" without backing it up that it is indeed, overwhelmingly broken and not list one or two cards from the format which you may not particularly like.
You seem to be saying that everything I listed was about "brokenness." What I was talking about, though, was what MISTAKES have been made. Some of these are not about brokenness at all. My personal dislike for a card will of course have something to do with it, but I dislike the card FOR A REASON. For clarifcation, cards I would say are actually broken that have been released since Urza's block...

Masquerade block: None. Port doesn't make the cut. The closest things would be Saproling Burst and Tangle Wire.

Invasion block: Fact or Fiction is the sole broken card. The latter sets in this block offer honorable mentions of Orim's Chant and Pernicious Deed, but they seem to have been relatively balanced cards.

Odyssey block: Psychatog, Cabal Therapy.

Onslaught block: fetchlands, the entire storm mechanic is problematic but specifically: Mind's Desire, Tendrils of Agony, Brain Freeze.

Mirrodin block: Chrome Mox, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Goblin Charbelcher, Mindslaver, Thirst for Knowledge, Darksteel Colossus, Arcbound Ravager, Skullclamp, Crucible of Worlds (Chaos Turtle's not caring about Type I is not really applicable, since it's the format where brokenness is most important), Auriok Salvagers, Trinket Mage. Hmm, this block seems to have more broken cards than all the other post-Urza blocks combined.

Okay, now that list is actually about cards that are broken, pick on it, and not my last one (which, as I stated, was about mistakes).

As for broken Exodus cards...

Oath of Druids, Survival of the Fittest, Recurring Nightmare, Mind over Matter, Equilibrium off the top of my head. Some of the best enchantments in the game...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, you don't say that you were listing mistakes. Your post three posts ago (from 8/29 by my timestamp) keeps mentioned broken blocks and how one broken set after another keeps coming. Your second to last post only mentions mistakes in this statement
I would say the biggest mistake was going with themes for the blocks
Nowhere do you say that the following list of cards are "mistakes" and not "brokeness".

Of your list, in general since only 2 are currently on the restricted list (from a quick check - Mind's Desire and Fact or Fiction), I find it hard to believe that they're "broken" right now. Maybe there's some interaction that no one's found yet, maybe they'll interact with future cards, but I don't think they're broken.

The most doubtful ones are the Onslaught fetch lands. Why the heck are these guys "broken"?

And again, I find all of this curious coming from a guy who doesn't care about the B/R list and in fact doesn't seem to mind playing with multiples of already regarded broken cards such as Fork and Wheel of Fortune. Have you played with the aforementioned cards or just against them?

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Oversoul
You seem to be saying that everything I listed was about "brokenness." What I was talking about, though, was what MISTAKES have been made. Some of these are not about brokenness at all. My personal dislike for a card will of course have something to do with it, but I dislike the card FOR A REASON. For clarifcation, cards I would say are actually broken that have been released since Urza's block...

Masquerade block: None. Port doesn't make the cut. The closest things would be Saproling Burst and Tangle Wire.

Odyssey block: Cabal Therapy.

Onslaught block: fetchlands, the entire storm mechanic is problematic but specifically: Mind's Desire, Tendrils of Agony, Brain Freeze.

Mirrodin block: Chrome Mox, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Goblin Charbelcher, Mindslaver, Thirst for Knowledge, Darksteel Colossus, Arcbound Ravager, Skullclamp, Crucible of Worlds, Auriok Salvagers, Trinket Mage. Hmm, this block seems to have more broken cards than all the other post-Urza blocks combined.
Personally, I think they made a 'mistake' with Masques block because it was so boring. I'd much prefer that WotC errs on the side of power than on side of cardboard poop. That said, my casual inclination skews my opinion, since I rarely deal with true constructed environments. (though I remember Masques-block era constructed being quite boring. Port, Rebels, snooze...)

There are certain cards here and there that were mistakes IMO, like Fact or Fiction, Tog, Skullclamp, Mind's Desire, Tendrills, Wonder, and Withered Wretch (again, casual), but on the whole I think there build pattern has been quite solid from Invasion on.

The only fundamental/problem mistake I see that they made was with the various Mirrodin block elements, specifically underestimating Affinity/Artifact lands. Too similar to the days of "Masticore/X".

I really have few qualms with the amount of cards that alter the Type 1 landscape (which is the only competitive format I really play). Just because it is the 'classic' format doesn't mean that it should not have the opportunity to evolve. Mirrodin (and Scourge to an extent) allowed that to happen, which in my opinion is a good thing. Type 1 has not been this dynamic in a long while.

They need to push the envelope with cards, but in the case of Affinity they need to be careful of doing it with specific mechanics.

And Cabal Therapy isn't a problem, it is merely an excellent non-blue control card that helps to keep combo in check. And fetchlands rule.

M

Mikeymike

Of your list, in general since only 2 are currently on the restricted list (from a quick check - Mind's Desire and Fact or Fiction
When Fact or Fiction was restricted it was a problem. Mono-blue control (Back to Basics Blue) was a dominant deck, and turned Type 1 very stale. However, I'd have to believe that if it were unrestricted right now it would not dominate the enviroment like it did. Since CounterBlue owned Type 1 there have been a ton of changes, with a lot of aggro decks coming forth that it would have a difficult time keeping up with (U/R fish, TnT variants, etc.)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Actually, you don't say that you were listing mistakes. Your post three posts ago (from 8/29 by my timestamp) keeps mentioned broken blocks and how one broken set after another keeps coming. Your second to last post only mentions mistakes in this statement

Nowhere do you say that the following list of cards are "mistakes" and not "brokeness".

Of your list, in general since only 2 are currently on the restricted list (from a quick check - Mind's Desire and Fact or Fiction), I find it hard to believe that they're "broken" right now. Maybe there's some interaction that no one's found yet, maybe they'll interact with future cards, but I don't think they're broken.

The most doubtful ones are the Onslaught fetch lands. Why the heck are these guys "broken"?

And again, I find all of this curious coming from a guy who doesn't care about the B/R list and in fact doesn't seem to mind playing with multiples of already regarded broken cards such as Fork and Wheel of Fortune. Have you played with the aforementioned cards or just against them?
I wrote a rebuttal to this, but while I was typing it, I came across the last paragraph. I could see where you were coming from with the first part, and though I disagreed with your opinion, I could see where your were coming from and didn't mind debating it with you. You (or I believe it was you) already rose this question once in another post, and I answered it. Anyway, why bring it up? Are arguments that I raise perhaps invalid if I have a deck that has multiple copies of Type I restricted cards?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
(or I believe it was you) already rose this question once in another post, and I answered it.
I probably did and I probably forgot it. :) You probably need to refresh me or point me back to your answer.

It doesn't make your arguments invalid but it makes for some seemingly inconsistency when I read your stuff. It gives me the mindset that you want to "have your cake and eat it too", that it doesn't bother you when you like certain cards (or their age) while you seem to have a prejudice against cards from newer sets and when they're played against you (I'm thinking of Storm specifically here since you mentioned before that you disliked the mechanic). Hence, you make sweeping generalizations about newer sets that get misinterpreted (like this current "broken" discussion). Obviously you can have your personal likes and dislikes, but in this case, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's like your trying to argue a card's merits based on personal preference instead of what's good for the game overall (and maybe that's your intent anyway).

To me, if you don't care about the B/R list yet are arguing about it anyway, it just seems like a waste of time, at least on your part :) But perhaps you like the exercise, I don't know... ;)

O

orgg

*gloats a bit*

I was amazed that almost nobody thought the 'that was a hint' was an obvious hint that Skillclamp was getting nixed in IRL extended.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I probably did and I probably forgot it. :) You probably need to refresh me or point me back to your answer.

It doesn't make your arguments invalid but it makes for some seemingly inconsistency when I read your stuff. It gives me the mindset that you want to "have your cake and eat it too", that it doesn't bother you when you like certain cards (or their age) while you seem to have a prejudice against cards from newer sets and when they're played against you (I'm thinking of Storm specifically here since you mentioned before that you disliked the mechanic). Hence, you make sweeping generalizations about newer sets that get misinterpreted (like this current "broken" discussion). Obviously you can have your personal likes and dislikes, but in this case, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's like your trying to argue a card's merits based on personal preference instead of what's good for the game overall (and maybe that's your intent anyway).

To me, if you don't care about the B/R list yet are arguing about it anyway, it just seems like a waste of time, at least on your part :) But perhaps you like the exercise, I don't know... ;)
Spiderman, fair enough. I do care about "the lists." Well, I care about the restricted list for Type I, because I want to actually play that format, but my awesome deck (the Ultimate Rectal Agony deck) isn't finished. I also care about the new format, since it's the best thing since sliced pizza. I tend NOT to care at all about any format with a rotating card pool. You might have gotten the impression that I don't care about Type I either, because I've posted and commented on decks which are not legal in the format, but Type I is actually my favorite format and I playtest it quite a bit. Anyway, I ALSO do happen to be the sort of person who would argue about something he doesn't care about...

Anyway, I think that cards can be broken without being restricted in Type I. Necropotence went unrestricted, for example, for quite some time. Was it not broken then, even though it is now? No, and it was restricted because of this. I think that any card that is banned or restricted in a format OR is a potent, metagame-affecting card could be called broken in that format.

That does mean that the more limited the card pool is, the lower the threshold fora card to be broken...

Psychatog is broken because it was only recently the basis for a tier 1 deck in T1. Mana Drain won't be restricted, but it sure is broken (by my definition). Trinket Mage is no Mana Drain, but it is broken because it acts as a rather potent tutor and has been used as a key card in a powerful deck.

All of the cards in the post, um, that I made before my last one, are ones that I consider broken. They're not all equally broken, obviously...

But, in my very humble (don't say anything, SeFRo, I know what you're thinking, smart aleck) opinion, those cards are broken. I don't know that that's necessarily a bad thing. Broken cards have always been part of the game, after all...

If you want to debate the brokenness of any items on the list (in the post before my last one, not the one where I listed WINTERMOON MESA!) I would not mind doing so...

To begin with, you asked about the fetchlands. In particular, I'm referring to Flooded Strand and the almighty Polluted Delta. The other ones aren't lightweights either, but Train would be happy to tell you why those two are the dangerous ones. They act as deck-thinning, improve mana bases, have synergy with dual lands, and are library shufflers. They have completely revolutionized most control decks in Type I. When I first saw them, they didn't sem impressive, but look at how many decks in Type I run fetchlands. And are those decks better than before? You bet. The effect is not as profound as something like Necropotence, but is more akin to Dark Ritual, a card that is just plain good and fits into a broad spectrum of decks. I consider Dark Ritual to be broken and I consider fetchlands to be broken as well, although not in the same way as Necropotence or, say Trinket Mage. If you think that Dark Ritual is not broken, then it is a difference in terminology that we have (i.e. you consider only "bomb" cards to be broken whilst I consider any exceptionally powerful cards to be broken, even though they are only really enhancing the bomb cards and not dealing killing ending the games in and of themselves).

E

Exaulted_Leader

Oversoul:

Isn't it more practical to use a Phyrexian Tower to pop a Rector, as opposed to using it to Flashback a Therapy (...then again, I suppose there's no drawback to including both methods in a deck. :p).

Hmm... I've never seen Rector Tricks in action. How soon is the Rector usually played (I'm imagining second turn, with Ritual + Plains)? I'd imagine the deck to be extremely successful (given it's ability to more or less totally ignore both the restriction and casting cost of Yawgmoth's Bargain, the most powerful Card Advantage tool in print). Why hasn't it been placing in Vintage tournaments? Too much Fish?