Magic: The Variant

N

Nightstalkers

Now I know what you guys are thinking, I'm nutz and probably an escapee from a mental institution (actually, you wouldn't be too far off there...), but thats beside the point I have to make here. Magic: The Gathering is about having fun, simple as that. You use cards to build decks and play either by the approved rules by Wizards of the Coast (hereafter abbreviated WotC). Now, that does not mean you cannot use your own rules, I've seen some pretty interesting variants in my day and think that I should at least share some with the group (no use in me hoarding these if I'm the only one who plays most of them...).

So here is the site, I hope you enjoy... stop by and say hi to Beebleboy.

R

Reverend Love

Pretty nifty webnik, it's been added to the favorites, thanks :)

K

kirby_1111

I've got a bunch of back issues from Inquest gamer. They have tons of variants. I could post 'em if you guys want.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by kirby_1111
I've got a bunch of back issues from Inquest gamer. They have tons of variants. I could post 'em if you guys want.
The more the merrier :D

K

kirby_1111

sounds grood...I mean good. I'll go get 'em.

(later)Okay, remember how I said they were back issues? Well, they're really back issues. But just for S&G I'll post this one. It's called:
Mercadian Massacre
Set Up
You need a 60 card event deck. It should have 5 Artifacts, 5 Creatures, 10 Instants/Sorceries (2 from each color), 5 Global Enchantments, and 30 Lands. Each player one of the of colors at random. They are given 1 land of that color to start with. Then each player is given a land of each color to be used for the attack phase. They aren't used for mana. Each player is dealt a hand from the deck.
The Communal Turn
Unlike regular MTG, all players take turns with each phase of the turn. The next phase will not start untill all players have completed the current phase in turn. When you start the game, choose a dealer. All actions start with the dealer and procede clockwise. At the end of the turn, the player to the left of the dealer becomes dealer. The game commenses. All other rules are just like in MTG. Lands can only be played in the main phase, etc.
The Event Phase
The event phase takes place after the draw phase and before the main phase. In the event phase, the dealer will flip over the top card of the deck and put into play new rules for that turn. there is no event phase for the first 3 turns. Here are the rules for each type of card that could be flipped up:
Creature: Each player bids (clockwise from the dealer) for control of the creature. Players may tap mana or remove cards in their hands from the game, each counting as 1 wager, to bid on the creature. High bid wins.
Sorceries/Instants: Remember Spellshapers? A spell that is turned face up may be used a Spellshaper ability by paying its mana cost and discarding a card. This can only be used if you control a Spellshaper that shares a color with the spell.
Enchantments: They affect each player. They remain in play until replaced by another enchantment. If it has an activated ability, any player may use it.
Artifacts: When an artifact comes up, players may create alliances. Alliances have these rules: 1) You can only ally with 1 other player. 2) You can use all of your ally's permanents as if they were your own, except in the attack phase. 3) You do not share life. 4) Ypu can not divulge your hand to your partner. 5) An alliance is binding until one member dies or another artifact comes up.
Lands: If a land is revealed, an attack phase will take place after the main phase.
The Attack Phase
You can only attack if a land is turned up in the event phase. Each player secretly chooses a color from their set of land. Then each player taps creatures to attack. After attackers have been declared, players reveal their lands. Creatures attack the player whose color matches the color of the chosen land. Players choose blockers and the phase continues as normal. You may choose your own color. If you, you do not attack this turn.
Victory
The last player standing.

Sounds fun, eh? It's actually pretty good. You could change the spellshaper thing if you wanted to play with T2.

J

JayEb333

hey kirby, we meet again. go check your messages

haha, sounds kinda fun. acutally, i like the idea of throwing the instant/spellshaper thing into a chaos multiplayer match...

T

train

You could play the Blenders version...

each player antes a face down card... They get mixed into a pile... (if only 2... they are "scrambled up"...)

you play, and the winner gets first pick of the face down cards...

In Slasher - one of the face down cards gets cut up... The others return to their owner...

:eek:

N

Nightstalkers

Well... I always wanted to play Iron Man with someone... Especially someone with a deck filled with one of each mox, a black lotus, and a time walk.

That would be so funny just disenchanting the lotus and making them destroy it

N

Nightstalkers

Or use todays technology to print out your deck onto 60 or more slabs of metal...

Oooh, try makin' me destroy that deck! XD

N

Nightstalkers

lol, who's going to bring a welding torch to a magic game?

lol, like that thing about the metal cards these days... Oh hey, there is a sweet little spray you just coat over a piece of metal, and use a computer driven laser to "write" whatever you want on the metal. I was thinking someone could use that to make a whole deck of cards and... well...

Would that be legal at a tournament?

N

Nightstalkers

Oh well, its a neat novelty for people to look into...

Hmm, people who win a pro tour could have it done for them or something to commemorate their winnings or something... Well, its something different than a boring old trophy.