• Other (Please write-in with a post.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skullclamp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Ravager. Because it can do The Job almost as quickly as Broodstar, and it's an artifact, therefore not needing any colored mana.

T

train

I would think the disciple is easier to handle than the ravager...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

you'd be surprised. having played against the deck as often as I have, and having watched Zadok playtest it over and over against several decks, the disciple usually wins the game. Most the time if 2 disciples hit the table the opponent will just scoop. The worst thing about it, is that even if you have say some burn to get rid of the disciple, you opponent can cause you to lose 5 life from it in reponse.

M

Mikeymike

I'm letting my bias get the better of me and voting for Leonin Shikari.

The main reason is because of all the Darksteel Power, this is the only one I've yet to build a deck around (actually Skullclamp is in the deck as well, though the creatures are too tough for it to kill - so I can't pass judgement on it yet).

Leonin Shikari does ugly, ugly things. No it isn't the most powerful card in the set, but it is so much frigging fun to play. And if you've got The Steelshaper in play as well? Fugghedaboudit! I love me some combat tricks, and this is the Messiah of combat tricks.

Originally posted by Azreal the Soulmaster
you'd be surprised. having played against the deck as often as I have, and having watched Zadok playtest it over and over against several decks, the disciple usually wins the game. Most the time if 2 disciples hit the table the opponent will just scoop. The worst thing about it, is that even if you have say some burn to get rid of the disciple, you opponent can cause you to lose 5 life from it in reponse.
Is there anything in Type 2 that punishes a player for putting artifacts/creatures into their graveyard, or gains you life for it? I haven't seen this deck in live action yet, but it seems frighteningly fast.

T

train

Engineered plague is legal right - the G/B build I mentioned in another thread should make wonderful use of it...;)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Its Ravager affinity Mike, and it is frighteningly fast. As Zadok is fond of saying "the early game is the mulligan, the mid game is turn 4, and the late game is shuffling for game 2"

D

DeathMaster666

I think you forgot Skullclamp. That card is going to have a major impact in every format.

T

train

I don't think Skullclamp has an impact in type 1 - there just aren't enough creature decks...;)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

yeah, you really dont' hear a lot of "...and then I skullclamped my Morphling" stories.

R

Rooser

Der....Skullclamp, of course - I clearly would have voted for that if it was on the list, (Shame on you SeFro), but for some reason I was too stupid to think of it when voting.

As for the conversaion, I would just like to agree that Disciple of the Vault is in fact what puts the deck over the top. It's like Fireblast in a sligh deck - it's that last bit of damage at the end that you just can't do anything about.

And is it just me or is Spark Spray looking like a good card in the environment now? It cycles, and it dispatches those early utility bums like skirk prospector and disciple. Oh, well.

M

Mikeymike

How about Slice N Dice? Is it too slow at a 2R cycle cost?

I love that card, I want to see it being played more. Of course Decree of Pain's cycle cost pimp-slaps it a little bit - but you'll be dead by the time you could use it vs. Ravager Affinity from the sounds of it.

Going back to then Elven bugger idea, Mono-green and elven-green has a ton of artifact control - but then elven-green also has recursive life gain in Wellwisher. From the various decklists I've seen, RA doesn't seem to run very much creature kill. So if you can get Wellwisher running on turn 3 (turn 2 with a Chrome Mox) you might be able to stave off the beast until your reusable artifact kill comes up (if you can afford to cast Molder Slug, you'd no longer need the Mox).

Just a thought.

It drives me F-ing batty that everytime WotC supposedly has weakened blue, it somehow makes its way int many different Tier 1 decks. Bah!

Killer Joe

Of the listed cards is SK'clamp the only "Uncommon"?
It should get an extra point of vote just for THAT reason alone.

Casually, I like Barbed Lightning.
"Three to you and your little dog, too.!"

T

train

I believe Skullclamp is the only uncommon... I moot for the point on rarity...

Rancor is common... so is counterspell... and those are cards that drastically affect the game play...;)

Is there a common - like say whispersilk cloak that should be mentioned here?...:cool:

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Rooser
Der....Skullclamp, of course - I clearly would have voted for that if it was on the list, (Shame on you SeFro), but for some reason I was too stupid to think of it when voting.
I agree with ya, Rooser. My bad for not making it an option. I did include an "other field" for it, though. Derf!

Much thanks to the moderator who added it in. Ya helped out drastically! :D :D :D

Skullclamp is the only uncommon, which speaks wonders of its power. Other uncommons and commons can be just as good for casual uses, but what I was going at with the question was "which is the hyped cards is worth it?" Though, I shoulda remembered Skullclamp was pretty well hyped.

I am surprised that in this casual vote, not one person has supported Darksteel Colossus. Wowza! :eek:

M

MagicMan

Ummm...the top 2 cards in Darksteel (IMO)...Ravager and Skullclamp deserve alot of hype...Viridian Zealot is nice, too.

N

Notepad

Understandaly Skullclamp and Ravager can win this vote. (Maybe they need a runoff?) ;)

The Zealot I didn't even think of putting on the vote. It was hyped, but only a little. I mean, Darksteel Citadel recieved just as much hype. Which is to say: some.

The ones I put on the list I remember folks talking about in both forums and articles. Plus, they still fetch a pretty penny after the set's release.

S

Snack

There is a reason people run maindeck damping matrix, and that is skullclamp. The matchups for slide, u/w and mwc were formerly considered favorable when these decks faced bidding and affinity. Now, with skullclamp, bidding becomes a combo-aggro deck, black-green cemetery becomes playable, elves works its way toward playability, and affinity gets a cheap and efficient card drawing machine. Ravager is not better than clamp, not even close. The disciple/sac combo was present with atog, and it was not particularly fearsome. Yes, it allows affinity to do combat tricks with modular, but skullclamp single-handedly gives decks a chance to win in the late game.

Marty Burns

T

train

I must say - this poll ahs 20 votes double the last - keep 'em coming SeFRo!!!...:D

N

Notepad

I will certainly keep the ideas rolling as long as I can (my brain not work correctly). Though, the latest one about lucky charms is all your idea, train. ;)

The involvement in discussing issues is most obviously growing. Maybe it'll encourage those who don't post much (or ever) into talking with all us looney regulars. :D